Wanted: 1947 California Licence Plate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wanted: 1947 California Licence Plate

I'm looking for a 1947 California license plate to run on my 1950 Panhead. 1947 is the correct year plate to register this motorcycle, and I already have the required 1950 corner tab. I would consider a plate in any condition short of rust rotted. The plate will not be nailed to a wall or locked in a museum, it will go on the bike on the road. I recently moved back to California after many years in Oregon and I don't want to put a "lipstick" plate on this bike. I have several Oregon plates that I might consider trading or part trade for this plate.
    Doug.
    Doug McLaughlin #6607
    NorCal, USA

Look at the back of your corner tag Doug. Right above the 1950 mine is stamped Folsom Prison. Is yours?
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Originally posted by Rubone View Post
      Look at the back of your corner tag Doug. Right above the 1950 mine is stamped Folsom Prison. Is yours?
      Yes Robbie it is, all of 'em I've seen have that stamp, but I'm not prepared to claim every one has it.
      Doug.
      Doug McLaughlin #6607
      NorCal, USA

Comment

D.Mac
        message sent.

Comment

Originally posted by D.Mac View Post
          Yes Robbie it is, all of 'em I've seen have that stamp, but I'm not prepared to claim every one has it.
          Doug.
          OK, How about some more info/factoids regarding California plate manufacture? When I was young everyone knew Cali plates were made in prison, but I expected these days, that might be "cruel and unusual punishment", especially in California. This morning I was shuffling (shoveling?) papers and such on my desk, and one item was an envelope for one of my new sets of Cali plates, and I noticed in small letters at the bottom of the envelope "Contents Made By Prison Industry Authority"! That led me to look online and here is what I found: "Since 1947, inmates at Folsom State Prison have manufactured California's license plates for the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV)."....."Through the partnership between the DMV and the Prison Industry Authority (PIA), we are able to provide productive work assignment to over 100 inmates daily at our factory in Folsom Prison." From PIA website.
          Back to the "stamp": I have California automobile year tabs for 1948 -1950, they are not stamped, I've not seen any other Cali plates or tabs that are marked, besides the 1948 to 1950 year tabs for MC plates. I don't claim to be an expert, that's just what I've seen (or not seen).

P.S. Still looking for the '47 base plate.
          Doug McLaughlin #6607
          NorCal, USA

Comment

Well. I don't know that anyone else here really gives a ****, but I'm still digging stuff out after moving, and came across several ( '48 and '50) California automobile plate tabs in very nice condition that I had squirreled away. Sure enough, they are stamped "FOLSOM PRISON" on the back. I don't see any '51 (automobile) tabs in my junk, but I believe they were the first year for steel tabs, and the steel tabs that I do have don't show any sign of the stamp, (1955 was the last year for metal tabs in Cali).
            OK, Leaving for Redding tomorrow at 05:00 to pick-up a transmission, checked Craigslist there & see several barn sales listed, life goes on.
            Doug.
            Doug McLaughlin #6607
            NorCal, USA

Comment

My '47 California MC plate is aluminum, not steel , so won't rust rot!
              Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Working...
              X