Triple tree installation 52 pan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Triple tree installation 52 pan

Getting ready to install triple tree onto frame. The correct bearing nut is the sprocket type but was planning on using an aftermarket one piece bearing shield hex nut type, the hex nut type is the same height as the sprocket nut and dust shield. But then got to thinking is there is a purpose to the sprocket type, it looks like you could line up one of the dents with one of the tree holes in the upper triple tree but then what? After installing the upper triple tree, the collar spline nut you then lock it in place with the lower pined steering damper disc. The pin on that disc isn't long enough to go through the upper triple tree and also lock the bearing nut. Am I missing something? My reason for using the hex type bearing nut is mostly for ease of tightening.

The pin is long enough on a factory setup to lock the adjuster nut and that is its purpose. The pin is in the lower washer and is installed as the first part of the damper stack. If it is aftermarket who knows.
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

So is there an aftermarket one that has a long enough pin. I read where someone taped those three holes in the top triple tree 1/4x20 and used a set screw to lock the bearing nut. Someone had also commented that the factory never produced a lower disc with a long enough pin to go through the triple tree and lock it. It would seem a simple enough item that the aftermarket could get it right.

Comment

OEM - https://www.ebay.com/itm/Harley-1949...0AAOSwS9NfWoVw

Attached Files

Comment

Reproduction - https://www.ebay.com/itm/Harley-Panh...kAAOSwpRRWoZmf

Comment

If that's Teddy's repop that six legged tall dampener springy thingy has no spring to it. JUNK! The rest is alright.
            DrSprocket

Comment

While going through some parts today it appears that my disk is original HD and I likely purchased it at the dealership possibly in 1984. Also this part was used up until early 77. With this in mind it would appear the original HD disk also did not penetrate through the upper triple tree and lock both the the upper spline nut and bearing sprocket nut. Unless HD changed the way it was manufactured or whoever their supplier was changed it.
              Attached Files

Comment

It turns out that the hex type bearing nut I was planning on using has lousy threads and won't go on the stem without a lot of force, Taiwan junk. I ordered a new one piece sprocket type as OEM. I'm amazed that no one makes a simple tool for tightening this nut, what are folks using to tighten? Also because the bearing is a tight fit do you press/pound that bearing on first or use the nut to just press it down.

Comment

Actually there is a tool for that. Harley had them in the 1957 accessory catalog; part number 96219-50. $5.50 (nice price in 1957) It's a tube about 8 inches long with holes in the upper end to put a bar through to turn it. At the bottom end is a collar about 1/2 inch thick with 3 pins protruding out of it that fit into the "sprocket" of the bearing nut. I have one and they work well. Also fits springer bearing nuts. V-Twin sells one part number 16-1344 for $63.72 retail in the 2017 catalog. Kind of pricey but like a lot of tools, it's sure nice when you need it. Or you could fabricate one yourself. Wouldn't be that hard.
                  Dave

Comment

I bought the Glide Fork Nut Tool ( as V-Twin calls it ) a few weeks ago for my '50 EL. It worked perfectly! $63.72 is the suggested retail price. Dealer price is $ 38.23. Someone out there should sell it for below retail price. Here are some pics of mine.CIMG1853.JPGCIMG1852.JPGCIMG1851.JPGCIMG1850.JPGCIMG1849.JPG

Craig

Comment

Thank you. I had searched for 96219-50 and also used just text description using google and came up with nothing. It figures V-twin would have a replica but also come up with nothing on the J&P where I do most of my purchases. That's a little steep for something so simple made in Taiwan, but once I get the new part I'll see if I can come up with something first.

Comment

Working...
                      X