Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post
    Hey Chuck!

Ever see sparkplug wires arc to ground, or each other?

I have, and the motors still ran.

What are the odds then?...

.....Cotten

Odds are the rider isn't very bright.

Why would you ride a bike with leaky electrics or leaking fuel and not expect an issue?

Comment

Doc Z Roller Starter

Bought a Doc Z roller starter about six years ago. Made a couple of brackets to mount it, a battery and a small toolbox for storing the pedal switch and some minor accessories to an old two-wheeler I had sitting in the shop. Sent the two-wheeler off to the powdercoater and bolted it all together. It is definitely helpful for that "first start", but I use it even more to just circulate oil in a new engine before that and for bikes that have sat and could use a bit of fresh oil circulated before starting them after a long rest. Just be careful to use it on a "rough finish" floor, or bolt it down as it can "shoot out" from under the bike on high compression engine start if your not careful when its sitting on a polished concrete floor (ask me how I know - LOL!). I like the portability but have thought about actually mounting it to my lift. Great "tool" addition to the shop!

DSC04622.JPGDSC03075.jpgDSC03074.jpgDSC03073.jpg
      Last edited by wallaman; 10-01-2020, 03:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckthebeatertruck View Post
        Odds are the rider isn't very bright.

Why would you ride a bike with leaky electrics or leaking fuel and not expect an issue?
        Obviously, Chuck,...

A lot of riders won't know their wires are leaky unless it bites them!

How often do you fondle your wires while its running?

Please try it right after you wash a bike.

....Cotten
        PS: Magnetos can make you scream.
        Last edited by T. Cotten; 10-01-2020, 08:16 AM.
        AMCA #776
        Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Originally posted by wallaman View Post
          Bought a Doc Z roller starter ... thought about actually mounting it to my lift
          I made a wide bracket based on a length of 'L'-shaped Al that I can bolt to the back of mine (it's actually shaped like a Greek Ω to clear the tire), with tie-down points at the end. I didn't make it strong enough to safely "clamp" the back of the bike down like if it were on a lift, but to balance the bike so I can climb off after I start it so I can fiddle with the carburetor, or whatever needs fiddling with, when I'm sorting out a bike after rebuilding it. The tie-down bracket makes things a lot easier than rolling the bike off, putting it on the center stand, and doing the fiddling while somehow keeping the bike running, and going through all of that all over again every time the bike dies.

Comment

A lot of riders won't know their wires are leaky unless it bites them!
            How often do you fondle your wires while its running?
            Please try it right after you wash a bike.
            After sitting all day, my motorcycle was missing on one cylinder as I left the parking lot late one foggy evening near the beach in California, so I reached down to wiggle the plug wire. I'll never make that mistake again. I can still remember what the pulses felt like in my elbow.

Comment

I fully understand a stationary starter for race bikes, Folks!

Many I saw at the track didn't even have a kicker.

But it would never have benefited me as a serviceperson; The customers wanted a machine they could start reliably.

Firing a machine that isn't 'right' doesn't fix anything. But it can break things.

....Cotten
              AMCA #776

Comment

Originally posted by wallaman View Post
                . I like the portability but have thought about actually mounting it to my lift. Great "tool" addition to the shop!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29884[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]29883[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]29882[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]29881[/ATTACH]
                Here ya go. http://www.doczintl.biz/docz_interna..._solo_pro.html
                Be sure to visit;
                http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Haynes View Post
                  I get it now, Chris!

Its for testing tie-down straps.

....Cotten
                  AMCA #776

Comment

Firing a machine that isn't 'right' doesn't fix anything. But it can break things.
                    I don't know about anyone else, but when I rebuild a motorcycle I may think it is right, but I don't know until I try to start it. If, say, the timing is off, I risk either bogging the DocZ momentarily, or breaking my knee. Again, I don't know about anyone else, but I prefer the former rather than the latter, which is why I think a set of rollers is a great tool to have.

Comment

Originally posted by BoschZEV View Post
                      I don't know about anyone else, but when I rebuild a motorcycle I may think it is right, but I don't know until I try to start it. If, say, the timing is off, I risk either bogging the DocZ momentarily, or breaking my knee. Again, I don't know about anyone else, but I prefer the former rather than the latter, which is why I think a set of rollers is a great tool to have.
                      I'll admit I hurt myself over-advancing my stroker Pan, BoschZev!

It smarted for days. And that was when I was young enough to heal.

So I learned to avoid being arbitrary, to follow 'spec' religiously, even if it took a degree wheel. That took care of anything on the bench, before it even went into the chassis.

It also taught me to be wary, and kick with a slightly bent knee on a strange machine. Was 'popped' plenty of times since, no problem.

....Cotten
                      AMCA #776

Comment

When you are rolling your own, with experimental parts, on a big inch magneto bike, not so easy on first starts or during tuning. Takes a bit to get them down to dead reliable.

When I was younger, I had the energy.

Not so much now.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckthebeatertruck View Post
                          Takes a bit to get them down to dead reliable.
                          I think from now on I'll put them together perfectly, with the timing set to the nearest 0.1-deg., the carburetor assembled with ideal jetting, and all the other details that affect the engine completely sorted out before I start it the first time. Since that's what I'll do, I'll get rid of my DocZ rollers now to free up the space they take. Yeh, that's what I'll do...

Comment

Working...
                          X