Comment

Vintage Pics of the Day - September 9, 2020 - A top end view

Screen Shot 2020-03-19 at 12.29.55 PM.jpg

Mike Love

Comment

Originally posted by JoJo357 View Post
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]29305[/ATTACH] #12.

*m.a.d.*
        Arlo Guthrie (image #12) didn't want a pickle, just wanted to ride on a motor sickle.

Mike Love

Comment

6087fe8f4190765867a0551fca7a2ac7.jpg60448a44e2b4c5856292472525917f83.jpg
          Bob Rice #6738

Comment

The old clubhouse is still there..the club is not.

Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Love to see the yesterday and today comparisons.

Mike Love

Comment

3421081a1bb253b83d4757249874c57e.jpgc300b7af666347156ee9677906b49a73.jpg
                Bob Rice #6738

Comment

Vintage Pics of the Day - September 10, 2020 Washington DC Harley-Davidson dealer H. Addison Bowie

Bowie HD.jpg

Washington, D.C., circa 1925. "H. Addison Bowie." A motorcycle dealer on 627 H Street. Henry Addison Bowie's shop was one of the early distributors of Harley-Davidson Motorcycles. This was photo is in a collection of early glass plate photos of Washington DC and include that one photo I included on Painterdale's post that showed 27 year old Sally Halterman DC's first woman to get a motorcycle license. Sally coincidentally or not also lived on H Street I found from my snooping. The Library of Congress file list this photo from between 1910 and 1925 and some comment I saw said Bowie's H-D was one of the first distributorships. From comments to this historic glass plate photo apparently Henry is between the two women on the left with the fur coats. One of the two women is Henry's wife and the other is either her sister or his sister. The block where this address is in NW Washington DC had a major redevelopment and so many of these small businesses are gone. I am looking for an image from the 1970s but it later became a Chinese restaurant called China Doll. This block is part of a several block section of DC known as Chinatown and is where the NHL Nationals have their home.

Mike Love
                  Last edited by ihrescue; 09-10-2020, 08:13 AM. Reason: Adding more commentary

Comment

Originally posted by BigLakeBob View Post
                    [ATTACH=CONFIG]29491[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]29492[/ATTACH]
                    I wasn't familiar with the board racer's sweater writing so I looked into it. It spells Houston in reverse - so I guess its for Houston Oil maybe as a sponsor. Apparently the original use of the backward Houston was for a Mardi Gras like festival in Houston with a little background at this link https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/no-tsu-oh

Mike Love

Comment

Originally posted by ihrescue View Post
                      Vintage Pics of the Day - September 10, 2020 Washington DC Harley-Davidson dealer H. Addison Bowie

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29494[/ATTACH]

Mike Love
                      These old images we post are interesting for how they tie so many things together and its interesting to see how a nearly 100 year old snapshot in time can still have remnants of it. Here is a current day collectible, a screw driver with the imprint of the Harley-Davidson bar and shield and the other the dealer name and location. A piece of promotional give away that survived and probably spent a long time in the kitchen junk drawer.

Screen Shot 2020-09-10 at 9.22.04 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-09-10 at 9.22.27 AM.jpg

Mike Love

Comment

Originally posted by badger34
                        Tangents and reward, I urge others to take interest and seek information in the stories and facts of each photograph or article presented.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29499[/ATTACH]
                        Excellent comments badger34. Yes I do like to drill down into the details of things. I'll tell a story in one upcoming Vintage Pic about a photo I found of an old local motorcycle club that went back into the 1930s. I discovered in a group photo the a last name matching a work colleague so I asked him about the name. He said yes it was his father. I told him about what I found and he was flabbergasted and had no idea his dad had a motorcycle or belonged to a club. He had never even seen a photo or an indication. I do like to do research and write about it.

Thanks for the comments about your interest badger34. What a cool work knife and hw it all came about.

Mike love

Comment

Vintage Pics of the Day - September 11, 2020

NCMC.jpg

I found this image a number of years ago when I was doing research on Washington DC motorcycle clubs. This is of the National Capitol Motorcycle Club soon after they moved to a house at Georgia Av and Arcola Av in Wheaton, MD 1938 in what they referred to as a "Field Meet." I recognized the name of one of the members listed and I asked a friend with the same name if he knew the name. He said it was his father, why? I told him about the National Capitol MC shared the photo with him and the location. This was 70 some years after the photo was taken and he was shocked. He had never seen any evidence that his dad had owned or ridden motorcycles, let alone belonged to a club.

Mike Love

Comment

image_25707.jpgimage_25708.jpg
                            love to see the yesterday and today comparisons.

Mike love
                            image_25707.jpg Gyronaut X-1. Bob Leppan & Jim Bruflodt.
                            image_25708.jpg >>>Worlds Largest Triumph Dealership.

*M.A.D.*
                            Last edited by JoJo357; 06-21-2022, 02:53 AM.

Comment

Vintage Pics of the Day - September 11, 2020

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29506[/ATTACH]
                              One more comment from the NCMC field meeting photo. Here is a list by number on the photo of the motorcycle manufacturers represented.

1) Indian Chief; 2) Harley Davidson '74' (?? would the pre-war big twin have a 74 CID?); 3) Indian Motoplane; 4) Indian Sport Scout; 5) Ariel; 6) Indian Sport Scout; 7) Indian 101 Scout; 8) Rudge; 9) Ariel; 10) Triumph Speed-Twin; 11) Indian Four; 12) Ariel; 13) Indian Sport Scout; 14) Indian 101 Scout; 15) Triumph Speed-Twin; 16) Ariel; 17) Indian; 18) Indian 101 Scout 45 CID 'Springfield Whistler"

A pretty diverse grouping of motorcycles dominated by Indian and British made.

Mike Love
                              Last edited by ihrescue; 09-11-2020, 07:50 AM. Reason: Added a comment

Comment

Originally posted by JoJo357 View Post
                                [ATTACH=CONFIG]29508[/ATTACH]

*M.A.D.*
                                It looks like a land speed cycle in front of the two fellows at Triumph - Detroit.

Mike Love

Comment

Working...
                                X