Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I would say the bike is a 1925 (at the earliest) Indian Big Chief due to the 385 balloon tires. I had a 1924 Big Chief and loved those wide handlebars.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

• The European Chapter has an Italian member with a Harley taxi similar to the picture. Let me have a rummage through my old pictures. It took 'most unique' at a meet a few years ago.

Comment

• Originally posted by Steve Slocombe View Post
        The European Chapter has an Italian member with a Harley taxi similar to the picture. Let me have a rummage through my old pictures. It took 'most unique' at a meet a few years ago.
        Thanks Steve that would be great to see.

Mike Love

Comment

• Vintage Pic of the Day - October 18, 2020

More antique motorcycle use for work in this case supporting the Milwaukee Fire Department. Written note on the photo says Chief Kirby. I cave contacted Milwaukee Fire Department Historical Society to see if I can confirm if this is correct and maybe some more info. I have at least one other photo showing a fire department side car arrangement from long ago. I'll share that soon since I opened the motorcycles at work theme.

Screen Shot 2020-10-17 at 8.15.59 AM copy.jpg

Mike Love

Comment

• Originally posted by ihrescue View Post
            Vintage Pic of the Day - October 18, 2020

Written note on the photo says Chief Kirby.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30033[/ATTACH]
            Interesting that there was no headlamp on this antique bike but it has what appears to be an ooga-horn. On the back luggage rack it appears to be two small brass fire extinguishers. Usually those old extinguishers were filled with the chemical carbon tetra-chloride. Carbon tetra-chloride was also the liquid you would find in the mounted glass globes in old homes and it was used as a fire extinguisher. Carbon Tetra-chloride I believe was also used as a cleaning fluid, insecticide in grain, refrigeration fluid, as a canned aerosol propellant and solvent but was banned for most uses except industrial use because as many chlorinated solvents it was found to be potentially cancer causing as well as contributing to the depletion of atmospheric ozone. Probably still many of those old glass globe extinguishers among collectors.

Comment

• Thanks Badger34 good discovery on your part.

On a closer look I am thinking the man in the photo is more likely a rank and file firefighter. There is none of the usually indicators on his uniform that he may be an officer. For disclosure I did my whole career as a firefighter. Not seeing stripes on the sleeves, bright brass collar and lapel pins or shiny breast and hat badge or the telltale fancier embellishment the chief would have on the uniform hat. Even for that time they did make it obvious who was in charge.

Found this image of Chief Clancy.

Screen Shot 2020-10-18 at 1.59.09 PM copy.jpg

Here is another photo of the cycle but now with the whole company. Also notice the officer in the front seat has a double breasted uniform coat and the firefighters have all plain coats.

Screen Shot 2020-10-18 at 2.07.09 PM copy 2.jpg

It would be interesting to find out how Milwaukee used the cycles.

Mike Love

Comment

• Originally posted by ihrescue View Post
                [ATTACH=CONFIG]30036[/ATTACH]
                Very interesting photo! From the motorcycle, to the architectural details of the firehouse windows and the house next door, and to the truck with its two-triangle logo on the top of the radiator shell and what appear to be wooden spoke wheels. Nice clear picture but I don't see our man Kirby in the crowd!
                Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

• Originally posted by pisten-bully View Post
                  Very interesting photo! From the motorcycle, to the architectural details of the firehouse windows and the house next door, and to the truck with its two-triangle logo on the top of the radiator shell and what appear to be wooden spoke wheels. Nice clear picture but I don't see our man Kirby in the crowd!
                  Yes I really like this photo. All the guys are looking in different directions - all with stern faces. Did you notice the small white object in the photo to the left by the house? It looks like a kid sitting there playing. I would imagine those tires are also hard rubber. Imagine that kidney buster ride across cobblestone streets. I was able to communicate with someone from the Milwaukee Fire Department Historical Society and he said that the person identified as Kirby is more likely from Harley Davidson plant security. He said the uniform and badge are all wrong fro the fire department. I guess it shows us once more the value of questioning even what we see.

Comment

• Vintage Pic of the Day - October 19, 2020

Looks like a nice outing to a longtime burger place.

IMG_6169 copy.jpg

Mike Love
                    Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by pisten-bully View Post
                      the truck with its two-triangle logo on the top of the radiator shell and what appear to be wooden spoke wheels.
                      Must be a Dodge!

Dodge.jpg
                      Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

• Mike Love, Of interest to you might be that I used carbon tetra-chloride by another trade name to kill the fumes in used gas tanks when I welded them and to clean my M-16 after qualifying on the gun range before heading to Southeast Asia in the late 60's. It used to turn your hands white. They never told us it was cancer causing but a bullet would do did the same job anyway. Rich
                        DrSprocket

Comment

• Originally posted by RichO View Post
                          Mike Love, Of interest to you might be that I used carbon tetra-chloride by another trade name to kill the fumes in used gas tanks when I welded them and to clean my M-16 after qualifying on the gun range before heading to Southeast Asia in the late 60's. It used to turn your hands white. They never told us it was cancer causing but a bullet would do did the same job anyway. Rich
                          No RichO they didn't tell you. Maybe they didn't know either. My brother was showered with Agent Orange every day for a year in the Viet Nam jungles and ended up with a certified cancer link tied to the defoliant which ultimately killed him. I do try to make sure I use gloves and a 3M respiratory when using solvents. If I don't I do get the reaction to the skin and always have a week of lingering cough if I don't protect the lungs. Hope everyone dons the PPE.

Mike Love

Comment

• Vintage Pic of the Day - October 20, 2020

So, even way back people chose to wear the name of their favorite cycle on a sweater.

Screen Shot 2020-10-17 at 8.05.09 AM copy.jpg

Mike Love

Comment

• Way to go Badger 34 -thanks for those details.

Mike Love

Comment

• Vintage Pic of the Day - October 21, 2020

More work with antique motorcycles.

Screen Shot 2020-10-17 at 8.04.09 AM copy.jpg

Mike Love

Comment

Working...
                                X