Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for posting those pictures, Dale. That's the history that makes our antique motorcycles become a tangible, and on-going link from the past, to today. Thank God people like Mr. Luckett saw the historical value of preserving the 1917 Indian for future generations; and especially for you
    Last edited by exeric; 09-06-2020, 08:40 AM.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

Vintage Pics of the Day for September 6, 2020 -

Screen Shot 2020-02-19 at 4.34.59 PM.jpg

When I think of a bobber.

Mike Love

Comment

Originally posted by painterdale View Post
        Paul Luckett's son was nice enough to send me a few more photos. Paul Luckett was a Saddle Squire before he started the D.C. Strokers Motorcycle Club. First pic is him as president of the Strokers.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29395[/ATTACH]

Couple more of Vista Racetrack.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29396[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29397[/ATTACH]

Paul Luckett and best friend John King

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29398[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29399[/ATTACH]

Dale
        Helping Dale here by posting a screen shot from the September 29, 1966 edition of Jet Magazine on Page 54. All these materials go nicely as part of the story for an antique bike. Here is a short article about Mr. Luckett's winning ways. Before the magazine image is the transcribed text from the article.

“D.C. Motor Cycle Racers Win 8 Trophies In Md.

Two motor cycle racers, after copping a total of eight trophies during the annual Labor Day weekend competition at Vista Park, Md., appeared on the verge of breaking into what is the stiffest sport for Negroes to crack. Barreling on high-speed motor cycles, both Paul Luckett and Paul Whitmire sped away from competition in drag races and a variety of other events to amass the highest number of awards. President of the D.C. Strokers Motor Club, Luckett won an amazing total of 37 trophies during the year while Whitmire, 27, the Vice President of the same club, won 40 events during his eight year career on the cycle track. At the Vista Park competition, Luckett won five trophies while his partner added another three awards, including the highly exciting drag race. Both men are machinists and regard cycle racing as “their life.” During the year the, the two men each have competed in more than 50 contests, traveling throughout the East on weekends to participate in cycle meets. In the drag races, the cyclists attain speeds of almost 100 miles an hour in distances as short as 300 feet. “Fantastic” Paul Whitmire, as he is known, has won as many as eleven trophies in a single day’s competition.”

Photo caption “Luckett (l) shows his winning form during competition; then he and Whitmire (r) exhibit trophies they won.
        Screen Shot 2020-09-06 at 9.08.34 AM.jpg

Mike Love
        Last edited by ihrescue; 09-06-2020, 08:53 AM. Reason: Trying to improve the image and add transcribed text from the article

Comment

image_20111.jpgimage_23232.jpg More that I previously uploaded, Folks!

The last one is certainly one of my favorites.

Can't work on a Schebler without a Stillson.
          image_19336.jpg
          ....Cotten
          PS: Oh yeah, and a logging chain. image_17377.jpg
          Last edited by ihrescue; 11-29-2020, 12:36 PM.
          AMCA #776
          Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Vintage Motorcycle Pics of the Day - September 7, 2020 - New 1932 Indians Now Here

Screen Shot 2020-09-07 at 7.57.36 AM.jpg

Mike Love

Comment

Yes the seeming rebuild with a brace (but cannot see to bit) seem out of place. But what do I know about speeding up nut removal back in the day. All great pics Cotten.

Mike Love
              Last edited by ihrescue; 09-07-2020, 07:34 AM.

Comment

image_25636.jpgimage_25635.jpgimage_25634.jpg Is it the "screenshot" that makes your pics so small, Mike?

My 'snagged' copy seems clearer.

More jumps?

....Cotten
                Attached Files
                Last edited by ihrescue; 11-29-2020, 12:38 PM.
                AMCA #776

Comment

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post

More jumps?

....Cotten
                  Not really a 'Jump', but I love the (hill-climb?) pic of the guy who is airborne... midair posed like Elvis. Do you happen to have that one?

Thanks,

Clark

Comment

Thanks for keeping a great thing going guys! I always looked forward to the wonderful old pictures.

DD

Comment

Bike6.jpgBike7.jpgBike8.jpgBike9.jpg

Comment

$(KGrHqR,!jQE+)nGhzwSBQLGf4ng5Q~~60_57.jpg Here's one. A couple of years ago I won a flash drive from caimag forum of the collective of vintage pictures up to that point. Am I allowed to post those here or will that fall into some type on a non permission clause infringing on some publishing rights? Anybody know? I can continue to post more if allowed.
                        Last edited by BigLakeBob; 09-07-2020, 11:11 AM.
                        Bob Rice #6738

Comment

Bike 1.jpgBike pic 2.jpgBike Pics 3.jpgBike Pic 4.jpg

Comment

Snagged this one for the cool 50s color vibe and Fairlane similar to mine in the background.
                            4hE4OY.jpg

And some kids getting a head start in life.
                            28ugppj.jpg

No MC in this one but a variety of offenses being committed in this ad from 60 years ago. How did we ever survive?
                            s-l1600 (3).jpg
                            Last edited by droptopford; 09-07-2020, 11:34 AM.

Comment

image_25649.jpg
                              Originally posted by droptopford View Post
                              Not really a 'Jump', but I love the (hill-climb?) pic of the guy who is airborne... midair posed like Elvis. Do you happen to have that one?

Thanks,

Clark
                              image_25651.jpg
                              Maybe, Clark!

The first one was labeled as Hank Reiman (whom I had the pleasure to meet..), and the second was labeled as Sam Arena.

There are remarkable similarities.

....Cotten
                              PS: Oil tanks are highly over-rated.
                              Last edited by ihrescue; 11-29-2020, 07:44 PM.
                              AMCA #776

Comment

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post
                                Maybe, Clark!

The first one was labeled as Hank Reiman (whom I had the pleasure to meet..), and the second was labeled as Sam Arena.

There are remarkable similarities.

....Cotten
                                It's gotta be that first one that I'm thinking of. A man in flight... terrified? Maybe, but as cool as can be. Absolute classic pose. "Don't step on my blue swede boots."
                                Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                                X