X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ihrescue View Post
    Vintage Pic of the Day - November 15, 2020

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30230[/ATTACH]

Where else better for motorcycle enthusiasts to gather than a cycle repair shop.

Mike Love
    I can't help but notice all the headlamps. I forget the name of those type, but use that "gas"? I was also wondering... just HOW good were they at night? Were they just OK? Or basically just to see what's 20 feet in front of you? I realize that oncoming traffic was not really an issue at that period of time in rural areas. The one guys lamp is pointing UP. Maybe he uses it for looking for owls?
    Jim

AMCA #6520

Comment

• Originally posted by Jim View Post
      I can't help but notice all the headlamps. I forget the name of those type, but use that "gas"? I was also wondering... just HOW good were they at night? Were they just OK? Or basically just to see what's 20 feet in front of you? I realize that oncoming traffic was not really an issue at that period of time in rural areas. The one guys lamp is pointing UP. Maybe he uses it for looking for owls?
      Yep a gas it was Jim, acetylene or what was known as Carbide Lamps. I had a friend - long dead now that had an Opel station wagon that he had wrecked and the right head light pointed up he said so he could look at the pigeons on the overhead truss members of the old railroad bridge. He drank a little too often and was amused by a number of things that would lead to great stories.

Mike Love

Comment

• Vintage Pic of the Day - November 16, 2020

Rock you like a Cyclone? Or is that Hurricane?

Screen Shot 2020-11-15 at 3.11.27 PM copy.jpg

Mike Love

Please be aware that over the Thanksgiving Weekend AMCA will be completing an upgrade to the AMCA Community Forum. This Upgrade may at times make the Community Forum unavailable. We are sorry for any inconvenience this will cause members. Thank you for your patience.

Comment

• Vintage Pic of the Day - November 17, 2020

Youth movement - on two wheels

Screen Shot 2020-11-09 at 7.46.13 AM copy.jpg

Mike Love

Please be aware that Saturday November 28, 2020 - Thanksgiving Weekend AMCA will be completing an upgrade to the AMCA Community Forum. This Upgrade will at times make the Community Forum unavailable. We are sorry for any inconvenience this will cause members. Thank you for your patience.
          Last edited by ihrescue; 11-18-2020, 08:35 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by badger34
            Post #317 above, Vintage Pic of the Day - November 17 2020, Youth movement - on two wheels

Photo from Dallas TX.
            Thanks for that comment. You have a some great knowledge for these details.

Mike Love

Comment

• Vintage Pic of the Day - November 18, 2020

We all envision some end state project and work till it is completed - so is the story of the Honda Dream and Soichiro Honda's vision.

Screen Shot 2020-11-18 at 9.12.07 AM copy.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-11-18 at 9.15.00 AM copy.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-11-18 at 9.18.01 AM copy.jpg

Mike Love

Please be aware that Saturday November 28, 2020 - Thanksgiving Weekend AMCA will be completing an upgrade to the AMCA Community Forum. This Upgrade will at times make the Community Forum unavailable. We are sorry for any inconvenience this will cause members. Thank you for your patience.
              Last edited by ihrescue; 11-18-2020, 08:36 AM.

Comment

• Vintage Pic of the Day - November 19, 2020

There was a time when we waited for the weekly, monthly or bi-monthly periodicals, or even the less sophisticated newsletters so we could see and read news of the hobby of motorcycles. The writers for the sport gave us that window into our hobby and they of course were just as crazy about the machines as we were and are. Here are two from the UK Bob Currie and John Griffith (Motor Cycling magazine). John's specialty was road testing. Bob Currie seated on this Model O Velocette was a writer and did road tests as well and became an editor and book author later. The classic Aston Martin in the background would soon after be the car John Griffith crashed and was killed.

Screen Shot 2020-11-19 at 7.52.56 AM copy.jpg

Mike Love

Last edited by ihrescue; 11-19-2020, 07:16 AM.

Comment

• Vintage Pic of the Day - November 20, 2020

Looks like too much fun.

Screen Shot 2020-11-19 at 8.07.09 AM copy.jpg

Mike Love

Comment

• Vintage Pic of the Day - November 21, 2020

Screen Shot 2020-11-20 at 1.46.30 PM copy.jpg

Mike Love

Comment

• Vintage Pic of the Day - November 22, 2020

Family hog - wonder if the boys continued to ride?

Screen Shot 2020-11-22 at 7.40.41 PM copy.jpg

Mike Love

Comment

• Vintage Pic of the Day - November 23, 2020

Lots going on in this photo. Looks like a manufactured on purpose motorbike. Do you think 30s based on the way the kids are dressed? Guess that was an early centrifugal clutch.

Screen Shot 2020-11-23 at 9.05.49 AM copy.jpg

Mike Love

Comment

• Vintage Pic of the Day - November 24, 2020

Signed "Butch" Bittner. I don't know if that was the racer or the photographer.

Screen Shot 2020-11-23 at 8.55.34 AM copy.jpg

Mike Love

Comment

• Originally posted by badger34
                            In response to vintage pic of the day above.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30293[/ATTACH]
                            Badger34 you hav a good knack for research. Thanks for providing the news blurb.

Mike Love

Comment

• On post # 326 above that is not a centrifugal clutch but the flywheel magneto on a Villiers engine.
                              Tom

Comment

• Originally posted by Tom Wilcock View Post
                                On post # 326 above that is not a centrifugal clutch but the flywheel magneto on a Villiers engine.
                                Tom
                                Ah yes - thank you Tom. It didn't click and I recall the Maytag small engines had a similar flywheel magneto - large and cast aluminum. Who know maybe Maytag used Villiers' flywheels. Well your response took me down a whole new road and a fascinating story of engineering, design and fabrication. So the photo of the kids in #326 is probably from England and my guess the 1930s judging on all the wool, knickers and boots.

Mike Love

Comment

Working...
                                X