high quality Wiring harness for a 48 panhead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• high quality Wiring harness for a 48 panhead

Looking for recommendations. 3 emails and 15 messages and 1 conversation hasn't gotten me any where with the recommended shop that was sold a couple of years ago to someone else. Thanks for the help if anyone had ideas for an original ol' bike. Thanks in advance.

Reproduction wire harness are close to original.
    This one has switches - https://www.ebay.com/itm/Harley-Panh...cAAOSw8AhaQydU

Comment

Try to do your homework because I bought a harness for my 69 flh and it had the wrong dashmarks and always came up short. I had to buy wire, light socket buttons and washers, connectors, sheathing and more wire from Rhode Island Wire. If I had it to do all over, I would have made my own. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by ryan View Post
        Try to do your homework because I bought a harness for my 69 flh and it had the wrong dashmarks and always came up short. I had to buy wire, light socket buttons and washers, connectors, sheathing and more wire from Rhode Island Wire. If I had it to do all over, I would have made my own. Good luck!
        That is what I don't want. I would like to pay extra for an accurate good harness for the bike.

Comment

I rewired my '48FL with the standard reproduction harness that has been around for many years (made by Bruce Lindsday) and no problems with wire length, color codes, or quality. I believe the harnesses available today are more accurate on terminals.
          Eric Smith
          AMCA #886

Comment

I think the last one i got was from Bruce Palmer

Comment

You won't find an accurate reproduction harness. The ones available from the popular suppliers are all from the same source, I think. They fit fine but use an asphalt loom where the originals were tightly woven. Terminals are close but not accurate either.

Comment

Greetings
                You might try Chris at CMS antique motorcycle parts https://vintagemcsupply.com/about . He bought the buisness from Bruce Lindsay, and makes a real nyce harness. Where its supposed to be woven, it is and where loom is required it is. The harness are made in the USA.
                Max

Comment

Sorry for the side track. The CMS I remember was Cleveland Motorcycle Supply on Pearl rd. And Motorcycle Specialties on Warner rd. Thanks for a blast from the past.

Comment

Max, Have you seen one or used one? I hope it's true. I got one for a 51 and it was all loom. Too large loom at that. Wouldn't fit into the bottom of the dash. His website says he uses woven wrap but the pictures just show asphalt loom as far as I can see. I hope you are right because I wasn't real impressed with the last one I got.

Comment

Originally posted by FNG1 View Post
                      Sorry for the side track. The CMS I remember was Cleveland Motorcycle Supply on Pearl rd. And Motorcycle Specialties on Warner rd. Thanks for a blast from the past.
                      Don't forget the other CMS shop on the corner of Cook and Lorain Rd. in Ridgeville. One of the sons... (was it Larry?) ran that one.

Comment

Greetings
                        I've bought several harnesses from him. Most recently on for my 36 servi and a 31 VL. The harnesses are very nice with soldered ends (the right ends, dipped in a solder pot) and woven sections where they need to be, the ends are spot on for the originals. I purchaced one for my 64 that I havent had an oportunity to install. Ill take some pictures when I get home and hopefully be able to post. In 2016 we had historic flooding in south Louisiana, I had 7 motorcycles go under water. The wiring was always ment to get wet, it was not ment to be submerged, especially the back water we got. I had to replace all of the harnesses on bikes. The harnesses i got after the flood were very nice, The red had been replaced with a more true red, the ends that used folded flags now had that end on it, and spares where I had to add them. Im very impresssed with the products that I get from them. Now I dont have a 48 so im not sure what the diifrences are from 47, but I am in the midst of rewireing my 47 and have had no problems ( except getting the dam wires through the rear fende channel, who thought that up). On the subject of Motorcycle speciaties, Im a former Cleavelander, and rember Saturday trips down Mile to Warner rd. At that time Southeast Harley was on Miles Rd, so you could do a two fer. Stop at Southeast then head to Specalties.
                        Max

Comment

After many people that did not come through after many emails and phone calls, I was able to source it through Palmer. I have not verified it, but I assume it will be better than most.

Comment

Hi Temple,
                            I need a harness for a 1957 FLH. I would like the wires to be woven where they should be instead of the fat loom used on harnesses I've used in the past. Were you satisfied with the product you purchased and if so could you supply the contact information for the supplier?

Thanks,
                            Steve Slaminko

Comment

Originally posted by maxglass View Post
                              Greetings
                              I've bought several harnesses from him. Most recently on for my 36 servi and a 31 VL. The harnesses are very nice with soldered ends (the right ends, dipped in a solder pot) and woven sections where they need to be, the ends are spot on for the originals. I purchaced one for my 64 that I havent had an oportunity to install. Ill take some pictures when I get home and hopefully be able to post. In 2016 we had historic flooding in south Louisiana, I had 7 motorcycles go under water. The wiring was always ment to get wet, it was not ment to be submerged, especially the back water we got. I had to replace all of the harnesses on bikes. The harnesses i got after the flood were very nice, The red had been replaced with a more true red, the ends that used folded flags now had that end on it, and spares where I had to add them. Im very impresssed with the products that I get from them. Now I dont have a 48 so im not sure what the diifrences are from 47, but I am in the midst of rewireing my 47 and have had no problems ( except getting the dam wires through the rear fende channel, who thought that up). On the subject of Motorcycle speciaties, Im a former Cleavelander, and rember Saturday trips down Mile to Warner rd. At that time Southeast Harley was on Miles Rd, so you could do a two fer. Stop at Southeast then head to Specalties.
                              Max
                              Max; I've found that soldering a new, plastic coated wire to the tail light wires helps to feed the cloth covered wires through the channel in the fender. I use a 16 gauge section of wire ( longer than the channel ) to pull it through. I solder the 2 ends of the tail light wire to the plastic coated wire and cover the joint with shrink tubing. It feeds a lot easier through the channel and pulls the cloth wire with it. Once the wire joint comes out of the tail section, I just cut the plastic coated off of the cloth wires and you are ready to trim and attach to your tail light. The tail light wires are always longer than you need, so there is no need to worry that you are wasting a small bit of wire. I used about a 6' piece, but as long as you have enough to get a good grip on it, you'll be fine.

CraigCIMG1884.jpg
                              Last edited by 41craig; 10-27-2020, 01:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X