Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• King Size Saddlebags? Welt (aka Piping)? Buckles? [PHOTOS]

QUESTIONS:

1. Anyone have a factory photo of any MY1950 style King Size bags with welt (aka piping) that is clearly visible? I understand that orange, red, and white welt was used for MY1950. I can clearly see the welt on the bags pictured in the accessory catalogs for MY1950, but I'm not sure I can clearly see the welt on any bags pictured in any factory photo (or any literature other than the accessory catalogs) for MY1950. Examples below.

2. Anyone have a photo of any King Size bags that look like any of the King Size bags pictured in any accessory catalog for MY1950? Note the rivets (quantity, location, and spacing) in the bottom piece of the flap (i.e., the piece that faces out not up). Compare the rivets in accessory catalog images to the rivets in other factory images.

3. Were there any differences (other than welt color) between PN 11785-48 and PN 90994-50 (e.g., buckles, rivets, straps, or mounting/fitting/hanger plates)?

4. Anyone know if (a) orange welt was offered for part of MY1950 and replaced by red welt for part of MY1950 or (b) orange welt and red welt were offered concurrently for MY1950?

5. Anyone know if the center strap with slot holes (as opposed to circle holes) was used for any particular type or style of bags or any particular time period?

1. 1950 Rider Accessory Catalog:

2. 1950 Dealer Accessory Catalog:

3. MY1950 Factory Image:

4. MY1950 Factory Image:

5. MY1950 Factory Image:

[END]
    Fletcher Clark Johnston
    AMCA #282

If this helps, Fletcher,...

I believe these are the buckles.

They might still be in my buckle box if you need them.

....Cotten
    Attached Files
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

[QUOTE]3. Were there any differences (other than welt color) between PN 11785-48 and PN 90994-50 (e.g., buckles, rivets, straps, or mounting/fitting/hanger plates)?[/QUOTE

The bags used in '49 were different leather and different buckles.
      Attached Files
      Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Cotten: Thank you. Detail photo is helpful.
        Fletcher Clark Johnston
        AMCA #282

Comment

A pair of '50s hanging from my ceiling...
          Attached Files
          Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Originally posted by Rubone View Post
            [The bags used in '49 were different leather and different buckles.
            Thank you for catching that. When I was writing that question, I forgot that PN 11785-48 was used for a different style in MY1949 (as well as the applicable style in MY1950).

Originally posted by Rubone View Post
            A pair of '50s hanging from my ceiling...
            Thank you. Helpful. Notwithstanding the images of King Size bags in 1950-1951 accessory catalogs (which appear to show earlier style cover flap rivet design/assembly), it seems like cover flap rivet design/assembly was generally consistent for MY1950-MY1951 style King Size bags and Fringed King Size bags.
            Fletcher Clark Johnston
            AMCA #282

Comment

Working...
            X