No announcement yet.

Paint Colors 1937 EL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For posterity, below from manual published by Antique Cycle Supply (1984).

Photo 1:

Photo 2:

[END]
    Fletcher Clark Johnston
    AMCA #282

Comment

Just found the answer in some stuff I had not been through yet. Looks like the third standard color option for MY1937 (main color Delphine Blue) was officially introduced effective November 30, 1936 (not long after production had started for MY1937). I assume that there was an early version of the 1937 Season Order Blank that listed only the initial two (2) standard color options (Teak Red and Bronze Brown), but I don’t think I have a copy of it.

Effective on and after November 30, 1936, all three (3) standard color options for MY1937 (Teak Red, Bronze Brown, and Delphine Blue) came with a black oil tank. If you ordered Teak Red or Bronze Brown, you could special order the main color for the oil tank by specific request on the order. But, for some reason, if you ordered Delphine Blue, you could not special order the main color for the oil tank.

Looks like special color orders after November 30, 1936 came with black oil tanks by default. But, I assume that you could specifically request the special color for the oil tank on the special order.

Per the News Bulletin: “Effective immediately, you can place new orders for 1937 Harley-Davidsons enameled delphine blue, striped in red and edged in gold, at no extra charge.”

“The new delphine blue color combination will carry the oil tank in black only and the tank is not obtainable in any other color. Also, our other 1937 color combinations will henceforth go forward with black oil tanks unless stated specifically on the order that the main color is desired. In the future, when motorcycles are ordered in special colors, the oil tank will also be black. For manufacturing reasons, it will be impossible to change color specifications on orders for 1937 models now in the plant.”
      Fletcher Clark Johnston
      AMCA #282

Comment

Thanks all for this information, the decision is made Delphine blue, I’m pretty sure my oil tank is OP and its black.

Comment

Then F-404-38 Order Blank Lists three colors
          Be sure to visit;
          http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
          Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
          Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Haynes View Post
            Then F-404-38 Order Blank Lists three colors
            Did you mean -37? What do you think happened?

Maybe the initial version of order blank F-404-37 listed only two (2) standard color options and maybe (because it was so early in the production year) HD didn’t change the form number to F-404-37A when HD created a new version of the order blank to list three (3) standard color options?

Or, do you think there was never a MY1937 order blank that listed only two (2) standard color options?
            Fletcher Clark Johnston
            AMCA #282

Comment

Originally posted by Grantracy View Post
              Thanks Dave,

Like the Delphine blue regardless, any idea were I can source the paint? ( Pierce unresponsive) Will call you re wiring but Im pretty much done , only real question was for brake light which Robbie answered
              I had some original paint color matched. It is the same color as 1979 Chevrolet truck light blue. I can get you the paint code if want. Dennis

Comment

Fletcher, thanks for posting about Nov 30, 1936. It seems the info I posted from page 22 of the 1937 announcement issue of the Enthusiast didn’t last long.

Palmer’s 37–64 FE mentioned three standard colours plus olive green (export) and silver (police). And it said it was standard to paint the oil tank to match the motorcycle’s main colour although black oil tanks were also available.
                The 37–64 SE said the same things but it included more info re the BT oil tank, saying it was a standard-colour part up to Feb 37 and that it was black-painted after Feb.

I’ll print the info you posted and put it in my copy of Palmer’s SE.
                Eric

Comment

Happy to share. Just sent you what I have from News Bulletin No. 767 dated November 30, 1936. I don't know what Palmer's statements are based on. Maybe a subsequent NB superseded NB 767? Or, maybe he was making some assumptions based on other information that he had? The statements don't seem to reflect NB 767.
                  Fletcher Clark Johnston
                  AMCA #282

Comment

Below from News Bulletin No. 767 dated November 30, 1936 as to available paint color options for MY1937.

Photo 1:

Photo 2:

[END]
                    Fletcher Clark Johnston
                    AMCA #282

Comment

Thanks for sending the NB. I too do not know what Palmer’s statements are based on and I agree they don’t seem to reflect 767. The NB is dated Nov 30, 1936 yet Palmer said black-painted oil tanks after Feb 37 which means March 37 at the earliest and that sounds too late.

Also, his ‘1937 Colors’ paragraph (p 814) doesn’t properly address delphine blue. It’s true that it was a standard 37 colour but as per the NB it wasn’t available for very early 37 models.
                      Eric

Comment

1. Anyone disagree with my reading of NB 767 as to the Delphine Blue color option and oil tanks? I read it to say that if you ordered Teak Red or Bronze Brown, you could special order the main color for the oil tank by specific request on the order. But, for some reason, if you ordered Delphine Blue, you could not special order the main color for the oil tank. In other words, we may want to question any 1937 model that is claimed to have an original paint Delphine Blue oil tank.

2. Anyone disagree as to whether there was likely an early order blank that did not include Delphine Blue as a main color? NB 767 references “orders for 1937 models now in the plant.” I don’t know what else would have been used for those orders.
                        Fletcher Clark Johnston
                        AMCA #282

Comment

That would be great, much appreciated

Originally posted by 1937hd View Post
                          I had some original paint color matched. It is the same color as 1979 Chevrolet truck light blue. I can get you the paint code if want. Dennis

Comment

If you can give me your email address I can send it to you. Dennis

Comment

Thanks. Gtracy@ameriland.com

Comment

Originally posted by 1937hd View Post
                                If you can give me your email address I can send it to you. Dennis
                                can you please send it to me also?

agwillys@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
                                X