Paint Colors 1937 EL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint Colors 1937 EL

Can anyone tell me all available colors for 1937 , including options?

Granville, this is from 1937 sales literature:
    Three color options. The 1937 Harley-Davidsons are available in a choice of three beautiful color options at no extra charge. One is the ever popular color, Teak Red striped in Black and edged in Gold, the second option is a new rich Bronze Brown striped in Delphine Blue and edged in Yellow, and the third is a snappy combination, Delphine Blue striped in Red and edged in Gold. The Servi-Cars, Package Trucks, and sidecars carry the same three color options as the motorcycle models.

Pretty sure the MoCo would paint previous years colors at additional cost. If you are getting the bike AMCA judged (which you probably aren't) you have to stick with the above colors. Any deviations require documentation.

I found my 1937 wiring diagram. If you still need it, call me.
    Dave

Comment

don't forget to paint the oil tank body color on early to mid 37 production & black on late production.

Comment

Originally posted by knucklehead 61 View Post
        don't forget to paint the oil tank body color on early to mid 37 production & black on late production.
        Then you have to justify where early and mid are. Photos in The Enthusiast magazine suggest that the colored oil tanks were only on very early machines.
        Be sure to visit;
        http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
        Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
        Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Weren't there only two (2) color options for part of MY1937?
          Fletcher Clark Johnston
          AMCA #282

Comment

Thanks Dave,

Like the Delphine blue regardless, any idea were I can source the paint? ( Pierce unresponsive) Will call you re wiring but Im pretty much done , only real question was for brake light which Robbie answered

Originally posted by ammorest View Post
            Granville, this is from 1937 sales literature:
            Three color options. The 1937 Harley-Davidsons are available in a choice of three beautiful color options at no extra charge. One is the ever popular color, Teak Red striped in Black and edged in Gold, the second option is a new rich Bronze Brown striped in Delphine Blue and edged in Yellow, and the third is a snappy combination, Delphine Blue striped in Red and edged in Gold. The Servi-Cars, Package Trucks, and sidecars carry the same three color options as the motorcycle models.

Pretty sure the MoCo would paint previous years colors at additional cost. If you are getting the bike AMCA judged (which you probably aren't) you have to stick with the above colors. Any deviations require documentation.

I found my 1937 wiring diagram. If you still need it, call me.
            Dave

Comment

Originally posted by FCJ View Post
              Weren't there only two (2) color options for part of MY1937?
              See excerpt below.

[END]
              Fletcher Clark Johnston
              AMCA #282

Comment

Fletcher, that's interesting information. Where did you find that? Thanks
                Dave

Comment

Originally posted by FCJ View Post
                  See excerpt below.

[END]
                  that may have been a pre production advertisement but it's not accurate for actual production.

Comment

Originally posted by Grantracy View Post
                    Thanks Dave,

Like the Delphine blue regardless, any idea were I can source the paint? ( Pierce unresponsive) Will call you re wiring but Im pretty much done , only real question was for brake light which Robbie answered
                    i'll be painting my next '37U delphine blue since my other one is teak red & the last one i built was black.

Comment

Originally posted by ammorest View Post
                      Fletcher, that's interesting information. Where did you find that? Thanks Dave
                      Looking for original source now. In meantime, below are additional references to color options for MY1937. I don't claim to know for a fact what color options were available for any year. Just sharing information in case it's helpful.

Photo 1:

Photo 2:

[END]
                      Fletcher Clark Johnston
                      AMCA #282

Comment

Page 22 of the Nov 36 issue of Enthusiast said two colour options for 1937 models. Also notice what it said about the oil tank.

Page 60 of The Legend Begins mentions the steel oil tank on the 61, 74 and 80 models is enameled the colour of the motorcycle. Also notice it says 1937 H-Ds are offered in two colour options.

However, the order blank on page 62 provides three colours (as well as silver for police).
                        Eric

Comment

Three standard colours for 1937 according to this H-D book (#99407-93).

Bruce Palmer’s 37–64 SE (2014) includes another colour for 1937 and it was olive green with black striping (edged in gold - export).
                          Eric

Comment

Below are references to color options for MY1937, including source pages for excerpts provided above or separate references. Looks like different versions of same material, including (a) earlier (brown/tan) version that references only two (2) color options and (b) later (green) version that references three (3) color options.

Photo 1:

Photo 2:

Photo 3:

Photo 4:

Photo 5:

Photo 6:

[END]
                            Fletcher Clark Johnston
                            AMCA #282

Comment

1. As to the MY1937 order blank posted above, does anyone know of any reference to a date or form number for that order blank (e.g., F-404-37 or F-404-37A)?
                              2. Does anyone have a MY1937 order blank that is different from that order blank?
                              3. Could there have been an earlier MY1937 order blank that only listed two (2) standard color options?
                              4. Does anyone know whether HD stopped using the main color on the oil tank before or after HD introduced the third standard color option (main color “Delphine Blue striped in Red and edged in Gold”)?
                              5. For example, does anyone know of any original paint (OP) main color Delphine Blue 1937 model with an OP Delphine Blue oil tank?
                              Last edited by FCJ; 09-16-2020, 11:31 PM.
                              Fletcher Clark Johnston
                              AMCA #282

Comment

Working...
                              X