Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1967 H-D FLH Electraglide to H-D metal body sidecar car adjustment specs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1967 H-D FLH Electraglide to H-D metal body sidecar car adjustment specs.

Hello- I have a 1967 H-D FLH Electraglide with adjustable triple tree and steering damper and the H-D metal body sidecar. Does anyone have information for proper adjustment specifications for this combination? A copy of a supplement originally provided by Harley-Davidson and/or your experience setting up this combination would be very helpful and much appreciated. I have the sidecar attached and now just need to learn how to make proper adjustments of toe in, lean angle etc. Will be very grateful for any help with this, thank you!!

This is one of my old posts on the subject:

"Shim it to about 1/2"-to-one-inch of toe-in at the front axle of the bike. That's not the most critical measure, to be slightly off square and parallel and level. Most important is the bike leaning out just a few degrees, turning left, away from the sidecar. ... square it up and then adjust it and tighten it down, sidecar frame level, with the rider on the bike, amd apassenger if you carry one often. Take the wrench for the underbody third brace pinch bolts with you and go for a ride on a back street.. You'll feel it when you ride.
    If it's still factory curved, the end of the underbody brace, down from under the neck, will stick out about an inch beyond the right end of the right-side pinch bolt cap of the sidecar frame.

Last edited by Sargehere; 05-10-2019 at 10"

Type in something like "lean out" and get 250 previous posts in this forum SEARCH
    on the subject of sidecars, and do your research easily.
    Last edited by Sargehere; 09-15-2020, 09:03 AM.
    Gerry Lyons #607
    http://www.37ul.com/
    http://flatheadownersgroup.com/

Comment

Gerry,
      Thank you kindly for your reply regarding setting the sidecar adjustments for my Electraglide. I had this motorcycle and sidecar coupled together for many years and it worked beautifully. For many years since I have retired, I have been riding the machine solo and since I have put the motorcycle and sidecar back together recently, I have a lot of steering wobble at about 15 MPH and I have not been comfortable riding it at speeds beyond twenty MPH. I have tightened my steering damper down and also taken two aluminum I-beams and put them on the floor next to the cycle tires and the sidecar tire. If my measuring is correct, it appears that my toe in is one and one-quarter inches. I have put a protractor on the motorcycle and it indicates that the cycle is leaning away 2 degrees from the sidecar. My sidecar wheel is perpendicular (90 degrees from the floor when I have put a protractor on it. I will check how far the end of the underbody brace is sticking out beyond the right end of the right side pinch bolt cap. It is possible that when the sidecar was detached that the underbody brace was moved to a different setting than what it was on the motorcycle. The cycle does not pull to the left or right when I am riding it. When you suggest shimming it to about 1/2 " to one inch of toe in, do you mean shimming it by use of shim at the rear mount where sidecar mounts to frame of the cycle? Thank you for being so helpful.

Brad M.

Comment

Working...
      X