Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Early Indian Buddy Seat Shell Assembly (aka Seat Pan)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Early Indian Buddy Seat Shell Assembly (aka Seat Pan)?

Is this an early shell assembly for an Indian buddy seat?

Photo:

[END]
    Fletcher Clark Johnston
    AMCA #282

Michael Paquette knows seats and he once told me that an Indian seat has ridge lines underneath that are “straight as an arrow”, others will have curved lines.
    Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

I believe thats a Harley Buddy seat pan.
      An Indian Chummy seat pan has three straight ribs with center rib almost all the way to the nose.
      Hatfiels resto guide has a nice side by side view of both pan undersides.

Tom

Comment

Tom: Are you saying that you believe the shell is HD based mainly on process of elimination between only those two (2) choices (i.e., the shell doesn't look like an Indian shell or the shell looks more like a HD shell than it does an Indian shell)? Or, are you saying that you have some reason to believe that the shell is HD? For example, do you believe that the shell is possibly an early version of the "no vent hole" shell or something?

I am generally familiar with HD shells and Indian shells. The subject shell doesn't look like any HD or Indian shell that I have ever seen and I don't see it discussed in Palmer's books. But, that doesn't mean the shell isn't a HD shell. A respected seat restoration/reproduction professional (not Paquette) posted the photo and stated that the shell is a "30’s original Harley-Davidson seat pan." I don't know what it is.
        Fletcher Clark Johnston
        AMCA #282

Comment

Comparison examples below.

Photo 1:

Photo 2:

Photo 3:

Photo 4:

[END]
          Fletcher Clark Johnston
          AMCA #282

Comment

I would guess that the seat pan in question, is an aftermarket pan, possibly by Buco (?).

Comment

Originally posted by Oilcan View Post
              I would guess that the seat pan in question, is an aftermarket pan, possibly by Buco (?).
              I would also guess aftermarket. The front mounting brackets/clips make me wonder what kind of bike the seat was used for.
              Fletcher Clark Johnston
              AMCA #282

Comment

Originally posted by FCJ View Post
                Tom: Are you saying that you believe the shell is HD based mainly on process of elimination between only those two (2) choices (i.e., the shell doesn't look like an Indian shell or the shell looks more like a HD shell than it does an Indian shell)? Or, are you saying that you have some reason to believe that the shell is HD? For example, do you believe that the shell is possibly an early version of the "no vent hole" shell or something?

I am generally familiar with HD shells and Indian shells. The subject shell doesn't look like any HD or Indian shell that I have ever seen and I don't see it discussed in Palmer's books. But, that doesn't mean the shell isn't a HD shell. A respected seat restoration/reproduction professional (not Paquette) posted the photo and stated that the shell is a "30’s original Harley-Davidson seat pan." I don't know what it is.
                I said it I Believe harley ,mostly because its not Indian.Looking closer at the Hatfield pic the harley he shows has the curved ribs,so the better answer would have been I dont know what your pan is.
                Tom

Comment

Tom: Thank you. Appreciate your input and the explanation. Just wanted to make sure I understood you. Helpful. Thanks again.
                  Fletcher Clark Johnston
                  AMCA #282

Comment

Originally posted by pisten-bully View Post
                    Michael Paquette knows seats and he once told me that an Indian seat has ridge lines underneath that are “straight as an arrow”, others will have curved lines.
                    Thank you Harry. Appreciate the response. Indian shells do have straight ribs. And, HD shells do have curved ribs. But, HD shells also have straight ribs. The subject shell only has two (2) straight ribs, but the subject shell's straight ribs appear to be similar to both Indian straight ribs and HD straight ribs (at least those on the types of no hole/non-vented shells and other shells that I am familiar with). I don't know if the straight ribs can be distinguished based on the photos that I have or otherwise (e.g., length or shape?).

P.S. I agree that Michael knows seats. I don't think it's an exaggeration to say that he may be the world's leading expert. There are other people that also have skill and make beautiful seats and other people that also have some knowledge, but I don't know if anyone can really compare in terms of knowledge or the combination of knowledge and skill. But, I already bug Michael on a regular basis with lots of questions. He is very helpful and generous with his time and expertise. Was hoping to give him a break and hoping someone else may be familiar with this shell.
                    Fletcher Clark Johnston
                    AMCA #282

Comment

I am only speculating, but I have seen photos of late Henderson KJs, and Super X motorcycles with buddy/chumee seats that were slightly different than the H-D, and Indian offerings. I know Schwinn did not make seat pans, and sourced their seats from specialty makers. The 1930 KJ that I had came with a (double) seat that was something of a mystery; but no one would commit to a source, and wrote it off as period aftermarket. The pan you first posted, Fletcher shows an interesting front pommel arrangement that could have worked on a Schwinn product, but (sort of) not specifically
                      Eric Smith
                      AMCA #886

Comment

Originally posted by Oilcan View Post
                        My memory is worthless, Oilcan,..

But I think BUCOs had only a curve at one end of the side 'ribs'.

Giuliari's had side ribs similar to HD.

It is the front mount we should focus upon. It has to be familiar to somebody, as I think even I fondled one once.

....Cotten
                        AMCA #776
                        Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Working...
                        X