INSURANCE suggestion Fire & Theft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 41craig View Post
    I just compared Hagerty to State Farm to see if I could get a better deal. State Farm is $60.00 less every 6 months for the exact same coverage.
    Craig
    P.S. This is for antique motorcycle insurance.
    I found same. I have State Farm for house and modern vehicles but figured Hagerty would be better price for the Chief. Got exact same coverage for about 20% less with SF. Already being insurance poor I want to save as much as I can as long as coverage is acceptable. Always read the fine print on policy's.
    One thing I know is that SF is not as flexible with the agreed value price as Hagerty is. No problem with the Indian but I had a special antique car I knew the market value of but State Farm would not accept the value I wanted to insure it for just because their "book values" didn't agree and in fact they were only 1/2 of actual market value. Not a problem with Hagerty. You want more, they give you more, you just pay more based on the agreed value.
    Having said that, if you're NOT pinching pennies, Hagerty can't be beat and offers hassle free best peace of mind. Their customer satisfaction is outstanding when it comes to claims. Antique vehicle insurance is their main game while SF has been trying to get a foothold in the antique market for several years, they have yet to commit to making changes needed to compete full on with Hagerty in every aspect of the business
    Jason Zerbini
    Near Pittsburgh PA (Farm Country)
    Allegheny Mountain Chapter http://amcaamc.com/

Comment

Not to pile on here, but I switched to Hagerty about 2 years ago. I had Progressive. I kinda dig Flo. When I bought my 52 Chevy pickup, I asked my agent about going to Hagerty. I added my truck, insured my 4 bikes at stated value and I now spend less than I did before I added the truck! Their roadside service is awesome. My truck broke down and they had a flatbed there in less than 30 minutes. I don't live in or near a big city, but they had someone there in 30 minutes! I had it towed to my house. 2 days later I had it towed to my buddy's place where we were going to work on it. Same thing. Not a penny out of pocket either time.
      A friend of mine uses them and when his 63 Pan took an unfortunate fall off the Handy Lift (ALWAYS USE TIE DOWN STRAPS!), they were super easy to work with and understood the difference between buying OEM parts (when possible) and Taiwan crap.

DD

Comment

The last time I shopped Progressive, Folks,...

They asked intrusive Second Amendment questions, implying they wouldn't insure me if I gave the wrong answers.

Sorry, Flo...

....Cotten
        AMCA #776
        Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Originally posted by Double D View Post
          Not to pile on here, but I switched to Hagerty about 2 years ago. I had Progressive. I kinda dig Flo. When I bought my 52 Chevy pickup, I asked my agent about going to Hagerty. I added my truck, insured my 4 bikes at stated value and I now spend less than I did before I added the truck! Their roadside service is awesome. My truck broke down and they had a flatbed there in less than 30 minutes. I don't live in or near a big city, but they had someone there in 30 minutes! I had it towed to my house. 2 days later I had it towed to my buddy's place where we were going to work on it. Same thing. Not a penny out of pocket either time.
          A friend of mine uses them and when his 63 Pan took an unfortunate fall off the Handy Lift (ALWAYS USE TIE DOWN STRAPS!), they were super easy to work with and understood the difference between buying OEM parts (when possible) and Taiwan crap.

DD
          Double D; I love the late '47 - early '55 Chevy trucks. I've owned a '52 and a '50. Both 5 window models. Wish I never sold them.

Sorry about going off message. Craig

Comment

Originally posted by Double D View Post
            Not to pile on here, but I switched to Hagerty about 2 years ago.

DD
            A previous Mrs. Chuck is a district supervisor for SF and twenty year veteran of SF auto. For roughly a decade she also was part of their fire/home division total loss catastrophe team. Those are the folks who show up after hurricanes and cut checks on the spot. That's 30 years of claims across many states under lots of weird circumstances.

Here's why I bring that up. SF is fantastic for two things, homeowners and late model to 15 year old vehicles. They will insure classics but your satisfaction or ease with a claim is entirely dependent on the adjuster, their manager, and the office expert on weirder claims. I spent too much of my life with SF adjusters and managers. They range highly. Expertise might be calling someone's husband. Seriously.

You will also not enjoy the same sort of savings reported if you live in the wrong zip code, SF is highly localized on pricing to protect agents (many of whom start as adjusters) and the actuaries. So, if you have two or three agents and low property crime plus many other sf customers, you get a great price. If there's one agent, few insured, and normal crime levels, your rate isn't as good. It's a trick of a mutual company vs a share corporation. SF enjoys a high loyalty rate in areas with multiple agents for a reason.

The big advantage of Hagerty is that they only do vehicles and their customers are generally low risk and crime adverse. This allows them to be very responsive and offer extremely competitive rates. As for claims, they have one of the fastest settlement rates in the industry. There is no hassle and no problem at any time. Your agreed value is paid.

I especially like that they check in every six months on my project bike(S) to ask if I've made progress and need to adjust the value up. Generally, they don't charge for adjustments under 5k. When I just did my 64 sportster, I adjusted twice in 5k increments and the total bill was something like 65 bucks for the full year.

That's real cheap for piece of mind.

You don't regret insurance when you need it.

As someone who heard nothing but insurance stories for years, I prefer to eat ramen for a week to buy the most hassle free claims service I can. When you're stressed and your ride is gone or trashed, you really, really appreciate outstanding claims service.

Comment

I have Hagerty and really like that if my motorcycles were to ever be a total loss I would get full value and get the motorcycle back. This was a minimal up front fee and well worth it.

Comment

Working...
              X