Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• belt construction

bmg.jpg

I am in the process of building the belt drive for my '11 Merkel. I have the leather (pre-stretched) and I am ordering washers from McMaster Carr. I'll make my own rivets, but I'd love to hear from someone that can recommend a glue that would bond the blocks; which are a built up assembly. The attached picture is of a Merkel belt that was beautifully made by some unknown, but genuine artist. I have talked to few seat makers and if they had made a belt, they said they would never make another . . . So, I'm tasked with the job. I recall a conversation with Howard Wagner, who made the leather belt for his 1911 Wagner. He made a fixture to space the blocks, and precisely center the rivet holes for the blocks. Brilliant man and one of the AMCA treasures. Appreciate any replies or comments.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Eric!
    You are certainly a man of many talents! I can't wait to see how this turns out.
    Sorry I can't offer any advice, only encouragement.

Dale

Comment

Encouragement helps, Dale. Always enjoy hearing from you.
      Eric Smith
      AMCA #886

Comment

Hi Eric, the Shoemaker (not an insult) in town recommended Barge all purpose cement for my little leather repair project. It worked and is still together.

Comment

Originally posted by FNG1 View Post
          Hi Eric, the Shoemaker (not an insult) in town recommended Barge all purpose cement for my little leather repair project. It worked and is still together.
          Thanks, Barge cement will go on my short list.
          Eric Smith
          AMCA #886

Comment

Eric, I think you need to a harness maker, not a leather seat maker. My father in-law (when he was alive) was a learned harness and saddle repairman. He was very good at working with heavy leather and it would last a long time. Had all the tools and huge assortments of leathers, rivets, grommets, whatever was needed to get the job done properly.

Comment

Thanks, hci. I know I am out of my league on this but I have a lot of leather, and lots of time There just aren't any harness makers in my neck of the woods. I've had years to think about this belt project and I've been thinking about a fixture that will space the blocks, and center them for drilling. I've been told that the leather for the belt has to be pre-stretched, and the glue has to be water proof. I've worked with rivets and feel confident I can make rivets that are strong, and secure. Needless to say, I don't expect to do 'wheelies' with this bike as atmospheric intake valve engines are very limited on power. I've made a few test belts and the V-belt sheaves seem to pull the leather belt into the V when torque is increased. Of course there is a limit to this, and the belt can be over-powered resulting in slip.

I've collected literature about motorcycle belts, and the many different types that were used in the day. Apparently, riders of the day were not big fans of belt drive and many companies appealed to that market with "improved" belt designs, lagging, and belt stick'um. Indian reluctantly built a few belt drive bikes to sell to that market, but from the get-go, they believed chain was the superior drive. Marsh-Metz was the only manufacturer that stayed with belt drive until the end believing it was the most gentle way to transmit power.
              Eric Smith
              AMCA #886

Comment

Eric when finishing up my 1911 HD twin in 2018, I was told about the Page Belting Company 104 High Street...Boscawen NH 1 603 796 2463 104 inch endless belt....perfect in every way My lead from texas was accurate..They have been making belts for over a 100 years I was told and said every now and then they make them for the old belt drives..All in with taxes and freight etc was around 300 bucks..I was very pleased
                Ross

Comment

Thank you, Ross. I'll definitely look into Page Belting.
                  Eric Smith
                  AMCA #886

Comment

I see Page Belting has a web site:

https://pagebelting.com/

Thanks again, Ross.
                    Eric Smith
                    AMCA #886

Comment

Good luck.....Their delivery time from time of order was 2 weeks..again I was pleased
                      Ross

Comment

Any update on progress, Eric?

Dale

Comment

Funny story, Dale; I stopped working on the Merkel. . . Between the leather belt, boring the cylinders, finding pistons, and problems with the front spocket, the fun aspect went out the window. The next time I put it on the lift, I'll have done enough of the sh!t work to make it fun again. Instead, I put my 1919 Henderson on the lift so I can take care of the kick starter issues, and do some deep cleaning, and detail work. I'm really enjoying the Hen, and the starter will require a lot of machine work which I also enjoy. Now that I'm retired, I can do what I want, when I want, and not what some boss wants. . . . Notice I didn't mention my wife, and we'll just leave it at that
                          Eric Smith
                          AMCA #886

Comment

page belting made the belt for my 1913 HD single. good quality, but is laminated with a nylon core & wouldn't look right on a restoration, but is the strongest belt available & was recommended by a couple of cannonballers.

you may want to talk with steve huntzinger about the block type belt. he may have some good info for you.

Comment

Hello Eric , I've been away from this site for too long !! so sorry for late reply . I have used a leather belt on my 1912 Excelsior for years and the only problem was stretch , even with a well used belt it would still stretch an inch on a run of 100 miles but shrink back , probably half that so had to keep shortening it a little .The belt I made as an endless belt as the Excelsior frames can be unbolted to accommodate . I scarfed the joint and used PVA glue to join , I also stitched this join but after a few rides the stitching would break up and be useless on it's own but the PVA never gave up .
                              BUT due to stretching and rejoining I have now fitted , like 'Knucklehead 61', a leather sandwiched belt with kevlar core and have no problems with drive !

Good luck with your belt for the Merkel ! Ken
                              Ken

Comment

Working...
                              X