Anyone recognize this photo or know approx date of photo? [PHOTO]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone recognize this photo or know approx date of photo? [PHOTO]

Probably a long shot, but any chance any of you recognize this photo or know about when it was taken?

I don't know anything about it. Someone on FB said: "restoration, 54 , some wrong year parts."

Photo:

[END]
    Fletcher Clark Johnston
    AMCA #282

Could have been taken last week. And yes, if it is intended as a '54 restoration there are wrong parts on it. Why do you ask?
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Thanks Robbie. I'm looking for period photos of early (54-63) versions of the diamond/spear spot style Deluxe Solo Saddle where any design features and details (e.g., the channel; housing; leather or plastic grain pattern finish; etc.) may be visible. Trying to narrow down some of the design changes, including with respect to (a) the various grain finish patterns for the covers, (b) the grain finish patterns for the housings, and (c) the channel. Most factory photos don't seem to show much of the details.
      Fletcher Clark Johnston
      AMCA #282

Comment

1954 Chicago PD

1954 Chicago Police Special.jpg
        Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Thank you. Do you believe evidence of the channel (the L-shaped strip of plastic trim that was used to attach the housing to the binding) can be seen in that photo and the photos below?

I believe that evidence of the channel can be seen in that photo and many other photos prior to 1964, including the photos below.

I admit that I can’t see evidence of the channel in all photos. But, in many photos, I believe that I can see (a) the separate line of stitching in the channel (i.e., as distinct from the top stitching in the cover seam) and (b) different reflections on the relatively flatter surface areas of the channel (i.e., as distinct from the reflections on the closed/rolled seam). In the 1957 factory photo below, I believe that a tuft of thread can be seen poking out of the channel near the end of the channel. I don't want to overload Michael Paquette or you guys with photos, but there are many other photos in which I believe the channel (or part of the channel) can be seen and clearly distinguished from the seam and the rest of the seat.

I believe that some images may be retouched or based on retouched images, including images in accessory catalogs for 1954-1964. IMO, the catalog images may be based on the same image, but there is some variation in the images. I believe that I can see evidence of the channel in photos that may not be retouched and in photos that may be retouched.

I am waiting to hear back from Michael Paquette on this issue and others, but I believe that he has consistently indicated that the channel was used from the very beginning (e.g., “Factory photographs do not really show the differece in the 1953 and up deluxe solo seats and there are many changes. Royalite covers were not used for very many years and there were plain skirts and pebble grained skirts as well. The method of the skirt attachment , however has NEVER changed.”).

Some people (who are aware of Michael’s statements, but disagree) claim that the channel was not used prior to 1964 and that no evidence of the channel is visible in any photo prior to 1964.

Photo 1 (channel):

Photo 2 (from 1957 accessory catalog):

Photo 3 (from 1958 accessory catalog):

Photo 4 (1958 factory photo):

Photo 5 (1957 factory photo):

[END]
          Last edited by FCJ; 09-06-2020, 04:54 PM.
          Fletcher Clark Johnston
          AMCA #282

Comment

Robbie/All: Please disregard. Paquette just commented on FB that channel was not added until 1963 for MY1964.
            Fletcher Clark Johnston
            AMCA #282

Comment

Working...
            X