Normal oil consumption

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Normal oil consumption

How much oil consumption is normal for a well-running Chief (48)?

The Indian riders manual states 150 miles to a quart. But it all depends on what rings you are using. When I bought my 1948 Chief 30 years ago it was all rebuilt. My buddy and I took a cross country trip and I averaged 150-175 miles to 1 quart of oil. When I disassembled the top end at 15k I found a single piece oil control ring. I spoke to Jeff Grigsby and he said he was using a Total Seal gapless second compression ring and a three piece oil control ring set. Now I average over 1000 miles to 1 quart of oil. My bike has 65,000 miles on it and I average 15-18k on a top end.

Dave

Comment

Mine varies a bit depending on how hard I'm running it and temperature. Average for me is about 450-500 miles to a quart which is added incrementally along the way.
      Jason Zerbini
      Near Pittsburgh PA (Farm Country)
      Allegheny Mountain Chapter http://amcaamc.com/

Comment

Mine has supposedly been rebuilt recently (1k miles who), but from the looks of other things on the bike I have my doubts. It runs fine. I think it’s using about a quart every 500 mi but I need to measure more carefully. I’d expect a rebuilt engine to use less if done properly, but maybe I’m wrong and the older guidelines are appropriate.

Comment

Originally posted by Lipdog View Post
          Mine has supposedly been rebuilt recently (1k miles who), but from the looks of other things on the bike I have my doubts. It runs fine. I think it’s using about a quart every 500 mi but I need to measure more carefully. I’d expect a rebuilt engine to use less if done properly, but maybe I’m wrong and the older guidelines are appropriate.
          Well yea the term "rebuilt" has a very wide range of definition (when there is no documentation) on any engine. As long as its not putting blue smoke out the pipe or fowling plugs I wouldn't worry too much.
          Jason Zerbini
          Near Pittsburgh PA (Farm Country)
          Allegheny Mountain Chapter http://amcaamc.com/

Comment

Working...
          X