Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timing 1941 Chief

Everything I have read is for later.

It is a 1941 and the timing hole is second from the bottom. I am reading it is done with the rear and not the front cylinder? Any tips or where to look to do this right the first time for an early 40's Indian which appears to be different from a 1945.

Thanks

I had a 1940 Chief and was advised by an Indian motor builder to remove the front head, find BTDC on the piston, and drill a shallow hole into the flywheel through the top plug hole. Additionally, I filled the drill point with dayglow yellow paint because it's near impossible to see anything in that area. I did that when the engine was out of the frame, and being rebuilt. It would be a gruesome chore on a running bike. I was always glad I had done that, but someone may have a better method.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

Your intake valve opens at 10degrees btc,but on intake stroke.
      According Riders Instruction book 10 deg.btdc equals .060" btdc and to check timing by piston travel tappet clearance should be set to .015,then reset before running.
      Rotate until intake just starts to open,temp.mark that spot,then rotate one revolution to the mark and you are on compression stroke.
      That should get you a start,but you will need more advance.
      Then do the math to figure how much to move for each additional degree.
      Or just find tdc wiht a wire ,cheap phone endiscope or other method and set dist in the retard position.
      Also if you locate tdc on comp. stroke you make or print out from various web site a degree wheel about 2-3"dia..Remove rotor ,center on dist shaft ,mark 0 deg.
      If you want 30deg.,back the flyweel up and turn to 15deg. before your 0 mark.Now loosen dist and set to point breaking in the full advance position.Lock down.
      My 34 uses the breather tube hole and I marked both cylinders with the heads off,never tried this method.
      Tom
      Last edited by tfburke3; 09-02-2020, 02:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Temple View Post
        Everything I have read is for later.

It is a 1941 and the timing hole is second from the bottom. I am reading it is done with the rear and not the front cylinder? Any tips or where to look to do this right the first time for an early 40's Indian which appears to be different from a 1945.

Thanks
        My buddy had a ‘41 and timed through that oil level hole, rear cylinder. He had a timing mark on his flywheel that he needed to locate through that hole....huge PITA involving a mirror and flashlight. Bike on the center stand, in gear so that you can rotate the engine by turning the rear wheel. What I’m not certain of is whether his timing marks were factory or done at rebuild time?
        Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

but here's another little timing trick you can do.
          When the exhaust valve on the rear cylinder just closes....the front cylinder fires.
          Slowly turn your engine over, the moment you can spin the rear exhaust lifter as it's closing ...
          set your distributor to fire on the front cyl.....at full advance.

Comment

Am I thinking correctly, shouldn't the front cylinder fire when the rear cylinder piston is all the up after the exhaust valve closes?

(Is this correct as well? The front cylinder fires, then 318 degrees later rear cylinder fires, then 402 degrees later front cylinder fires.)
            Last edited by ryan; 09-03-2020, 10:29 PM.

Comment

Well, I am glad that I am not the only one challenged by this. There are perks to having a 45 or newer I suppose. Keep the ideas coming and I will put them all together and give it a go. So there are no timing marks after pulling the second from the bottom screw under the floor board?

Comment

Originally posted by pisten-bully View Post
                My buddy had a ‘41 and timed through that oil level hole, rear cylinder. He had a timing mark on his flywheel that he needed to locate through that hole....huge PITA involving a mirror and flashlight. Bike on the center stand, in gear so that you can rotate the engine by turning the rear wheel. What I’m not certain of is whether his timing marks were factory or done at rebuild time?
                That is what I have read also but I will find out. It does seem that the first time it came apart that it would get this mod.

Comment

Found this Service Shot from 1940:

Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

My '40 had later 'Z' flywheels. Curious, I'm not a motor guy so why did Indian prefer the rear cylinder for timing?
                    Eric Smith
                    AMCA #886

Comment

The rear cylinder is #1,at least for my 34 per the Riders Instruction book.Maybe thats the reason.
                      Tom

Comment

Well, that's a good reason. Thanks, Tom.
                        Eric Smith
                        AMCA #886

Comment

Thank you all. I will take all suggestions and was able to find some original copied books with some information. I will keep you updated on the progress.

Comment

Working...
                          X