No announcement yet.

Part Number for 61 OHV Motor Assembly?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Part Number for 61 OHV Motor Assembly?

What part number, if any, was assigned to the 61 OHV motor assembly? If any part number was assigned, was the part number public (e.g., listed in any part catalog) or for internal use only?

Fletch
    Fletcher Clark Johnston
    AMCA #282

Fletch; I can't find any numbers, in any of my old catalogs, for complete motors. But, here is a pic of a friend of mine's N.O.S. unstamped UA Motor with its factory tag. Hope this helps.

Craigimage0.jpgimage0-001.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by 41craig View Post
      Fletch; I can't find any numbers, in any of my old catalogs, for complete motors. But, here is a pic of a friend of mine's N.O.S. unstamped UA Motor with its factory tag. Hope this helps.
      Craig: Thank you for looking. And, thank you for the info and photos. Very helpful and very interesting! Love those old part tags (example of slightly different style below).

I believe that at least some pre-1926 PN system PNs (aka “factory numbers” or “serial numbers”) and some 1926-1950 PN system PNs (and possibly some versions of the earlier PN systems) continued to be used for some purposes (e.g., for design drawings and part ID tags internally; and as forging numbers) through at least part of CY1958 and possibly later.

I don’t know when HD first offered or sold any complete motor (aka motor assembly), officially or unofficially, via any catalog or price list or otherwise.

Certain complete motors were listed in a March 1, 1954 Accessories Dealer’s Net Price List (excerpt below), but complete motors may have been listed in earlier catalogs or price lists.

Part Tag:

Excerpt:

[END]
      Fletcher Clark Johnston
      AMCA #282

Comment

The 1935 factory blueprint of the VL motor shows a list of subassemblies on the left hand side not using conventional part numbers. Most of these are two letters followed by a dash and a few numbers. A second column shows the drawing number to which the subassembly refers. For example, first on the list is Generator Assembly given part number SR-1A and drawing number 84-3E. The drawing number for the complete engine is 108-35. It looks like Harley were using factory codes different from the numbers in our parts books.

Comment

Correct. As to the subassembly part numbers, some of them are pre-1926 PN system PNs (aka “factory numbers” or “serial numbers” per Palmer) and some of them are 1926-1950 PN system PNs. At least some of the numbers from those earlier PN systems (and possibly some versions of the earlier PN systems) continued to be used for some purposes (e.g., for design drawings and part ID tags internally; and as forging numbers) through at least part of CY1958 and possibly later.
          Fletcher Clark Johnston
          AMCA #282

Comment

Working...
          X