Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Concern about oil flow - am I checking correctly?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Concern about oil flow - am I checking correctly?

Recently purchased a 1964 Duo Glide. I've had it about a month and have only been able to ride it about 6 or 8 times. On a local ride a couple of days ago, I noticed some clatter when I was cruising a backroad at about 40mph, approx 40 minutes into the ride. It quit as quick as I noticed it. I finished the ride about 15 minutes later and noticed some grey smoke puffing out of the right exhaust while idling on the side stand. No oil light and no clatter, but I have not noticed the smoke on the other rides. I brought the rpms up a little and the smoke went away. I left it idling for a about 5 minutes while I was checking the voltage at the battery. Then, it started clattering and the oil light on the dash, and the one on the nacelle came on. I shut it down as quick as I could.

Today, I'm starting the diagnosis. First, checked the oil tappet screen to make sure it was clean. Yep, fine. Next, I dropped the canister on the oil filter and it has oil in it. So I pulled the seat off, started it up, no oil lights. I'm still getting light haze from the exhaust at idle. I let it run for about 3 or 4 minutes
    and looked in the oil tank to see if I can see any flow. I can't see anything obvious to make me feel there is oil circulating. The tank is a little over half full. I stuck my finger in the tank, over the oil lines and I can feel air and maybe an oil mist, but no real "flow".

Should I see a flow of oil coming back into the tank when idling? When I brought the idle up a little, no change in the flow that I could see. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Tim

Yes, you should have a nice steady flow of oil flowing back into the tank at idle. Did you take out your oil filter, re assemble the canister, and check flow?
    Last edited by ryan; 08-30-2020, 08:25 PM.

Comment

Thank you for your input, Ryan. I did not completely remove the filter and canister, just dropped it down to see if there was any oil in it before starting. There was some, but not full (as in a car). I will completely disassemble the oil filter assembly and inspect next.

Again, thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by TimP View Post
        Thank you for your input, Ryan. I did not completely remove the filter and canister, just dropped it down to see if there was any oil in it before starting. There was some, but not full (as in a car). I will completely disassemble the oil filter assembly and inspect next.

Again, thank you!
        The oil return will generally be spurts with obvious air in it. The scavenge side of the pump is half again larger than the feed so there is rarely a steady stream of oil unless the lower end is filled up, which is an abnormal situation.
        Last edited by Rubone; 08-30-2020, 09:56 PM.
        Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Originally posted by Rubone View Post
          The oil return will generally be spurts with obvious air in it. The scavenge side of the pump is half again larger than the feed so there is rarely a steady stream of oil unless the lower end is filled up, which is an abnormal situation.
          Yes, the oil return gears are almost twice the size of the feed gears. The larger size return which makes sense because they are pushing against gravity.
          So are you trying to say that since the return gears are twice the size of the feed gears, the return gears are out flowing the feed gears therefore the return gears will never get enough oil to pump a steady flow of oil?

http://www.legendmcs.com/midusa-catalog/MUpage00586.jpg
          Last edited by ryan; 08-31-2020, 07:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ryan View Post
            Yes, you should have a nice steady flow of oil flowing back into the tank at idle. Did you take out your oil filter, re assemble the canister, and check flow?
            My oil return looks like this guys bike.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8c0odEo6DeQ

Comment

Thank you, Ryan. I’ve been buried with work this week (good thing) and have not taken the filter completely apart and clean as you suggested. I’ll get to it this weekend and report the results.

Again, thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by ryan View Post
                My oil return looks like this guys bike.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8c0odEo6DeQ
                That's not at idle speed . . .

Comment

The most obvious sign of oil circulation when you can't visually verify is simply putting your hand on the oil tank now and again. If the tank isn't warm . . .then you know you're not circulating oil.

The amount returning to the tank will vary greatly depending on engine speed, oil temperature, and any breather modifications.

Comment

Tim P!

I should know better than to get into this...

But if your motor is not returning oil, it soon fills up and lets you know it.

Usually the plugs foul first.

...Cotten
                    AMCA #776
                    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

I removed the oil filter and canister, did not find anything obvious. I had to order a replacement filter, as neither HD dealerships here had one. Waiting for new filter before moving forward.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckthebeatertruck View Post
                        That's not at idle speed . . .
                        I replied and asked the guy, not that he really knows for sure, but just might.

Comment

Been a while since I've been able to login and update this thread...I apologize.

I removed the oil lines from tank to pump and the outer plate to the pump and found no obstructions in the lines or issues on this side of the pump. I replaced the lifter block screen and ball, although saw no issues with parts removed. I replaced the filter, put all back together and filled the oil tank with Valvoline VR-1 20w50.

I started her up and everything seemed good. Let her run for a few minutes and took for test ride. All good; oil tank hot, signifying circulation. Engine sounds good, even seems to be a little quieter in the top end.

I've only been able to ride the bike a couple of times since the first. All seems good, but getting some smoke after warmed up when at idle. The smoke seemed to be less the last time I rode vs the first after issue. Hopefully, get some more miles and time on it and maybe will clean up.

My summary is a clogged oil filter. That, combined with the heavier oil, is what I think was the issue.

Thank you for your input! It's what makes forums and groups like this strong! Again, my apologies for the delay in my follow-up.

Tim

Comment

Working...
                          X