No announcement yet.

Ping, ping and ping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On the Nashville Road Run last year I was having a conversation with a gentleman named Tom from Illinois about my '67 FLH being prone to pinging while trying to accelerate on long uphill grades. He suggested changing to heavier advance weight springs and offered to send me a pair from his shop when he got home. I installed them and it has helped. The ones he sent were V-Twin. The label on the package said "HD Ignition Severe Duty Advance Weight Springs" and had a part number 13-9247. On the V-Twin website, there's also a 13-9246, which looks exactly like what I got. All I can say is it seems to have cut down pinging when accelerating on hills in 4th gear. And if it won't take throttle without pinging, it's time to drop into third. Hope this helps.

Comment

Jim, My 67 FLH would do exactly the same thing until I dropped a gear and brought the rev's up. They don't like being bogged down. It's the nature of the beast. It's sort of like an EL that don't have the weight in the flywheels and on a long uphill climb they need you to drop a gear so they don't bog down. With an FLH though they want to ping.
      DrSprocket

Comment

Working...
      X