Opinion on Shinko tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinion on Shinko tires

I didn't buy these tires, they came on the bike (48 Chief) and are almost new. They are Shinko E 240 whitewalls. They handle fine for what I need - I don't push the bike or ride in cold or rainy weather. Initially I thought they were Cokers, but it turns out they aren't. At least these are H speed and DOT rated, unlike Cokers. I researched the company and it is Japanese, with manufacturing in South Korea. Apparently they bought the molds and designs from Yokohama when Yokohama exited the motorcycle tire business. The reviews on JPCycles and Revzilla are all really positive and say these are repros of classic Goodyears. https://shinkotireusa.com/product/cl...40-tire/211907

I'm a believer in spending on good tires and am trying to decide whether I should replace them prematurely with Avons or something else. On the other hand, if they're decent and unlikely to blow out/fail, I'll ride them for awhile. I'm riding this bike 1,000-1,500 miles per year.

Does anyone have experience with this brand, and would you ride on them?
    Last edited by Lipdog; 08-26-2020, 04:52 PM.

After reading your post I looked at Sinko website because Im also looking to replace some tires.Price seems right and their speed rated.
    Their 270 would seem be the right size for your bike.No idea about difference in rim fit which would be a concern for 240 mt90.
    Tom

Comment

My 2 cents, having worked at a busy BMW/Moto Guzzi shop in the past, we sold a lot of all different Shinko tires particularly the dual purpose Shinko's. i have not ridden Shinko's myself, however customer feedback on the Shinko's was always positive, i do not recall any negative comments. as i recall from the dealer rep, Shinko got into the vintage market because they saw a demand in the market that was not adequately being met.
      Steve Swan

27JD 11090 Restored
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClUPIOo7-o8
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtuptEAlU30

27JD 13514 aka "Frank"
      https://forum.antiquemotorcycle.org/...n-Project-SWAN
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNRB...nnel=steveswan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSDeuTqD9Ks
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwlIsZKmsTY

Comment

....are they available non-whitewall?
        Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

Originally posted by pisten-bully View Post
          ....are they available non-whitewall?
          Black wall, whitewall, or double whitewall. Check the link in my post.

Comment

My buddy has had them on a couple of his old Harleys and likes them alot. Yes, they come in black walls too.
            DrSprocket

Comment

I just started riding on them and so far so good, but I only have 600 miles on them with a factory Harley sidecar. My bike is a 69 flh and I am running the dual white walls.

Comment

I have been running Avons on my 64 Pan for many years. No problems and great wear. Being a thrifty (cheap) person, I decided to try a Shinko tire on the back of my 97 FLSTS. This is a modern bike and by no means a light weight, high horsepower, canyon carver. We have no canyons in S. Jersey. After mounting the tire I was very impressed with it's handling characteristics, remember no canyons only gentle sweepers. I always keep track of maintenance done on all of my bikes. I had stopped for fuel one day and there was another "biker" fueling up and he came over to look at my Springer. He gave it the once over twice and we did the usual weather check and small talk. I finished fueling up and he remarked, "You need a new rear tire." I replied "That can't be, I just put it on this spring." I looked at the tire and sure enough he was correct. It was so worn I took the bike home and put it away. I took out the maintenance record and I had put just over 4000 miles on it. I could not believe it. The next day I checked the tire pressure and it was at 34 psi. I ordered a Dunlop and that was the end of Shinko tires.
                Changing tires is not very dear to my heart. Shinko may make a great vintage tire, I don't know anything about their vintage tire line but having dealt with their modern tires I would never try one on an old motorcycle.

Comment

I've used several Shinko 270 tires. They did well for me. They don't get phenomenal wear but they cost less than a hundred bucks when I bought mine. Wear was comparable to an Avon and better than a Coker. Kind of squirrely on rain grooves. Just my observation. Past performance is no guarantee of future results.

Comment

I agree with Lyle. I practice economical management in a big way too. However, when it comes to tires on my bikes, I remind myself how much investment I'm riding on. Saving a few bucks on a cheap tire isn't a good choice for me. I don't cheap-out on tires.

I know nothing about Shinko's. I run Dunlop 404's on my bobber, >10K+annually. I can get slightly better than a full year on the rear, 2yrs on the front. For my heavier skirted Chief, <3000K annually. I've been using Firestone Non Skids, but I'm planning to switch to the Dunlop 404's. 4.50x18 A better choice for improved performance. The 404's look OK, but the modern tread may not be for those looking for a "period" looking tire. The 404's, are 18", look just like 401's(16")... modern Harley tread design. all blackwall only.
                    I will sacrifice the appearance for performance anytime.
                    Although my skirted Chief is very correct, its my touring bike, it weighs over a hundred pounds more than the Bobber. I'm not showing my bike, I want increased mileage, better stability, and more confidence in the curvy canyons. Haven't put the Dunlops on the skirted bike yet, but I'm confident they will improve the ride. And I'd feel alot better about carrying a passenger on the back.
                    Like the question of which oil to use... everyone has a different opinion. The choice is yours.

C2K

Comment

I had a set of the double white walls on my 1970 FLH, look very similar to Goodyears of the era. Really liked the look, but as tires on a bike that can do 65/70 MPH on the interstate, they were junk. First set I had a rear wheel wobble, called Shinko, they had me check it to see if it was out of round, it was by 1/4". Sent it back, they send me a new one, yeh thanks $85 tire but I had to do all the labor on my end.

New tire was better, but with no passenger at speed, she would start to wobble and drift. And the tire is very square in profile, you could feel the bike going up on the edge in the twisties.

Took them off and got modern Dunlop American Elites with a single skinny white wall. Doesn't look as good, but she can haul the mail with modern bikes.

I still have a pair on Shinkos in the basement, stop by LI and you can have them real cheap!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Architect View Post
                        I had a set of the double white walls on my 1970 FLH, look very similar to Goodyears of the era. Really liked the look, but as tires on a bike that can do 65/70 MPH on the interstate, they were junk. First set I had a rear wheel wobble, called Shinko, they had me check it to see if it was out of round, it was by 1/4". Sent it back, they send me a new one, yeh thanks $85 tire but I had to do all the labor on my end.

New tire was better, but with no passenger at speed, she would start to wobble and drift. And the tire is very square in profile, you could feel the bike going up on the edge in the twisties.

Took them off and got modern Dunlop American Elites with a single skinny white wall. Doesn't look as good, but she can haul the mail with modern bikes.

I still have a pair on Shinkos in the basement, stop by LI and you can have them real cheap!!!
                        Boy I am experiencing the same issue with my 69 flh with sidecar. Scared the crap out of me the other night by kind of sling shoting me across the road. Avon has a nice looking vintage tire.

Comment

I am on my 6th set of Avon Safety Mileage tires on my 1948 Indian Chief, 65,000 miles. They look vintage, ride and handle well.

Dave

Comment

Working...
                          X