1957 big twin frame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1957 big twin frame

Firstly, I need to get the new Palmer book. With that said, I am not sure how close a 1957 frame is to a straight leg 1954 frame, but I picked up a really nice 1957 frame that still has the sidecar mounts and the neck has not been raked.
    This frame is going to be the new home for my 1954 FLH engine. One of my swap meet special bikes is going to be coming apart and is now going to be a little more refined. Lol
    I am still going to need tanks, rear fender and rear brake assy.

Who does a good job repairing the cylinder heads, exhaust port etc? I saw Taiwan Ted repairs the heads, but how is their work and their pricing?
    Thanks,
    Ryan
    Last edited by ryan; 08-21-2020, 09:10 PM.

You're considering sending heads to V-Twin??

Comment

Originally posted by larry View Post
      Sounds like it.

Comment

Well I was hoping someone more knowledgeable than me would chime in but that did not happen so.... The only difference I know of between a late 1954 straight leg frame and a 1957 frame is the neck lock. 1954 and 1955 still use the early uncovered one. Well the date code would be different too.

I would surely reconsider sending heads to Vtwin although I would think that they are just sending them out somewhere to a contracted repair shop.

Jerry

Originally posted by ryan View Post
        Firstly, I need to get the new Palmer book. With that said, I am not sure how close a 1957 frame is to a straight leg 1954 frame, but I picked up a really nice 1957 frame that still has the sidecar mounts and the neck has not been raked.
        This frame is going to be the new home for my 1954 FLH engine. One of my swap meet special bikes is going to be coming apart and is now going to be a little more refined. Lol
        I am still going to need tanks, rear fender and rear brake assy.

Who does a good job repairing the cylinder heads, exhaust port etc? I saw Taiwan Ted repairs the heads, but how is their work and their pricing?
        Thanks,
        Ryan

Comment

The other difference on early to late straightleg frames are the size of the threads in the coil mounting blocks (5/16 early vs 3/8 late) and the tab for the carb control.
          Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Originally posted by larry View Post
            I ran across a few videos of v-twin repairing the heads and just wondered is all. Jim's Harley sends all his aluminum work to them. I saw a set on a bike today that Jim sent out and the fin and exhaust spigots looked pretty good, he also said the cost was 1600 bucks.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubone View Post
              The other difference on early to late straightleg frames are the size of the threads in the coil mounting blocks (5/16 early vs 3/8 late) and the tab for the carb control.
              I think I can live with that. I am not going to change anything on the frame, but would like to get it checked out to make sure it is straight and true although it looks pretty nice. I need to get a camera!!!
              Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by badger34
                A local independent shop sends heads that will require valve seat replacement service to V-Twin, he seems to do so without hesitation so must like the results.

V-Twin Motor Shop links...
                https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...V4FiH7BYx4Qnu3
                I watched these videos and they are why I asked about v-twin.

Comment

fyi: the FLH model wasn't introduced until mid production 1955, so if you have a 1954 FLH you have bigger problems...

Comment

Originally posted by knucklehead 61 View Post
                    fyi: the FLH model wasn't introduced until mid production 1955, so if you have a 1954 FLH you have bigger problems...
                    I made a mistake by adding the H. Been working on my 69flh and my finger must have slipped. To be honest, I am not even sure if my motor lived in a straight leg frame.

Comment

Working...
                    X