oil pump drive gears upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oil pump drive gears upgrade

Looking to put the bigger oil pump drive gears in a '52 FL motor. H-D doesn't make them any more. Does anyone know an after-market manufacturer who does? I know they come as a pair, one that goes on the pinion shaft, and one that goes on the oil pump shaft that's in the timing cavity. Any help greatly appreciated.....Cheers.....Omar

They're not bigger, they turn the pump faster.
    IIRC S&S does
    The Linkert Book

Comment

The gears were never made for a splined shaft by H-D. They only made them from the early '70s up but due to the shaft design they fit back to '54 ( or earlier if the shaft, case race, pinion gear, rollers, etc were also changed). Splined versions were always aftermarket.
      Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Got it now. Saw the replacement stuff in the s&s catalog. thanks for the input.

Comment

More information on oil pumps on my site: http://victorylibrary.com/tech/OHV-pump.htm
          The Linkert Book

Comment

Hey, kitabel, who is IIRC? Bought the upgrade oil pump drive gears from S&S, and the one that goes on the pinion shaft is too small to fit on the shaft. From what I can measure, the shaft is .848" over the splines, but the gear is .843" (.005" interference!!!!) Typed in IIRC to do an internet search and didn't get anything m/c related.

Comment

Originally posted by Omarttentmaker View Post
              Hey, kitabel, who is IIRC? Bought the upgrade oil pump drive gears from S&S, and the one that goes on the pinion shaft is too small to fit on the shaft. From what I can measure, the shaft is .848" over the splines, but the gear is .843" (.005" interference!!!!) Typed in IIRC to do an internet search and didn't get anything m/c related.
              IIRC is a slang acronym for "if I recall correctly".
              Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

This is the first I've heard of S&S having a "JIM'S" problem (looks good, can't fit w/o major work).
                Is S&S now pronounced "Beijing"?
                The Linkert Book

Comment

LOL. I'm not all that hip to internet jargon!

Comment

Talked to the shop I bought the parts from. He said he'd contact s&s tomorrow. I told him to send the pics of the measurements I took. I doubt it'll do any good. Will keep everybody posted on this snafu.

Comment

I have been enlightened by the panhead manual. On page 170 there is information re/ an upgraded pinion shaft that was introduced in late '51. This shaft is larger in diameter so that the pinion gear is a press fit on the shaft. The press can be up to .002", according to what I read. That means that the inner splines on the oil gear that goes on the shaft would have to be bigger, as I am sure that it is not a press fit. A special tool is required to remove and install the pinion gear, but no mention is made of the oil pump drive gear. I know this is the upgraded pinion shaft because it has a screw in its end. So when s&s advertises the oil pump drive gear update, it's actually misleading. It should read '39- late '51. The gear for those models will not fit on late '51-'53 motors. Of course, my confusion is only compounded by the fact that the pinion gear that came off is a slip fit on the shaft. Don't know if that's due to wear, or if somewhere along the way it was reworked to be a slip fit on the upgraded shaft. FYI.

Comment

Working...
                      X