Too old to be cool?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too old to be cool?

This week I did a trip including an overnight to Maine with a friend on his ‘63 BMW R50/2. Here’s what I noticed; since I stop for gas every 100 miles or so I’m stopped with the Chief where people are around....this trip (and I’ve noticed it before, too) at almost every stop someone would come over and fawn over the BMW and completely ignore the Chief. I’m not really offended (actually easier to do my business without someone asking lots of questions or telling me about the Shovelhead they owned 30 years ago...so there's that) but I have a theory and I wonder if anyone else has noticed this!

My theory goes like this, when my bike was new anyone who was a buyer for a new 1946 is now in their nineties...they’re likely not out and about as much as they used to be. However, the guys who had bikes in the 60’s and 70’s remember bikes like this ‘63 BMW...and seeing one takes them back to their youth a little bit....they weren't even born for a decade or two after bikes like mine were new! It’s kind of evident in the sales a muscle cars, too.

Just thinking out loud here!

63E3F473-D878-42F8-9033-B17D7F925732.jpg
    Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

I think you're right, Harry; although I think BMW is still easily recognized by casual observers, and acknowledging an older BMW makes some people feel sophisticated. The Indian is a different story and I was always surprised at how few people knew what an Indian was when I rode my '40. I can't tell you how many people thought my Hendersons were German. Our problem is; we think everyone loves, and knows as much about old bikes as we do It's the same with music.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

Harry,
      Maybe it is better to go unnoticed than to have to deal with what I have more than a few times with my '48 Chief, when someone who
      thinks he recognizes what it is approaches and says "Hey, now tell me, just when did Harley quit makin' those???"

Comment

I have a different theory. You are not too old to be cool, today's people under 50 are just not cool at all. They were raised with imports and no nothing of American industry or old American iron.
        You are way cooler than they will ever be. I would walk by many import motorcycle to look at an old Schwinn bicycle, as they are even way cooler than most imports.

Comment

Agree with Eric. There are exceptions, but it's generally my problem and has more to do with me (and specifically my pride/ego) than it has to do with anyone or anything else. Think cool (like beauty and art and music) is, and always has been, very subjective and relative (eye of beholder). Arguably pretty human to sometimes feel a pang when it comes to our possessions and we notice that someone else may not value or appreciate or look at them the same way we do. The pang is even sharper when it comes to ourselves and we notice that we may not be viewed the same now as we were viewed in the past (or maybe as we thought we were viewed in the past). Pride/ego. For me anyway. Certainly not suggesting that any of you aren't now, or weren't always, universally admired and acknowledged as cool.
          Fletcher Clark Johnston
          AMCA #282

Comment

I think to the average uninformed person the BMW looks older and more unusual,and that attracts people.
            With a lot of new Indians with similar styling our skirted chiefs just dont stand out that much.
            Lately I put much more miles on my 59 TR3 which gets lots of attention.The funny thing is when some young kids call their parents attention to it mostly I think because it looks cartoonish to them.
            Tom

Comment

Seems like it depends on the area. Most often bystanders around here are slobbering over the skirted Chiefs. But then there are times when it becomes invisible. Often it is dependent on the specific area as far as even noticing an antique bike and that can be just a few miles apart. Its always an interesting experiment for us. One day we happened through a town not far from us. I'll call it yuppieville....high income high tax community. We stopped at a restaurant and there was a space right up front we parked in. When we were seated we could see the bike and not a SINGLE person even gave it a second glance. It may as well have been another Mercedes. Go 10 miles down the road to a blue collar town and its a different scenario.
              Jason Zerbini
              Near Pittsburgh PA (Farm Country)
              Allegheny Mountain Chapter http://amcaamc.com/

Comment

I rolled into a Harley dealership a few years back on an old 45 flathead and the young men outside say to me...."Nice Indian".

Comment

We had a family get-together-BBQ at our house earlier this year. I had 9 motorcycles to look at (5 are pre 1920) and the most popular bike was the 1966 Honda 450
                  Eric Smith
                  AMCA #886

Comment

What's not to like? And this is a '55, not long after Indian gave up an rolled over.

Last edited by Rubone; 08-18-2020, 02:24 PM.
                    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Harry; I had a similar experience when I first got my 1941 Harley 80" chopper running. I stopped at a Mobile Station to gas up. The attendant that pumped the gas asked if it was a triumph? Oh well. I was riding and he was pumping gas. I felt better.
                      Craig

Comment

Love your '55 BMW, Robbie. It stands alone in good looks; is there a back story on it?
                        Eric Smith
                        AMCA #886

Comment

I was stopped at a red light on my 1936 H-D VLH and the guy behind me yells out... HEY, is that an Indian? I just said "no, it's a Harley". I don't mind... the light turned to Green and off I went! I think we all have had similar stories. FUN to read them! I also have a 68 Dodge pickup (restored, but I use as a pickup truck) and NEVER does anyone say anything about it when I stop for gas or at the Home Depot.... it's like, it is just an old truck and nobody cares! HAHA!! It's fine!
                          Jim

AMCA #6520

Comment

Yup u hit the nail right on the head.....I personally like all old bikes, but the average joe doesnt know what hes looking at anyway. You know another funny thing is just because i drive a bimmer car , they ask why i ride harleys...lol how can i answer that, i said to one guy should i also drink a fine wine also, yuk i hate wine , give me a cold Bud anyday....If it were me ide look at both..

Comment

Working...
                            X