Not sure where to put this. 3R transmission questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not sure where to put this. 3R transmission questions

One thing that felt different about the 3R transmission is it almost felt like it had a neutral between each gear.I know the pattern is R1N23 in a gated shifter that is hard to see, but while trying to shift the other day it felt like RN1N2N3. Can anyone explain this to me? I am only familiar with ratchet tops.
    Thank you

In any transmission there is always going to be a "false" neutral when the transmission is in transition from one gear to another.
    With minimal play in the shifter linkages, the correct unmodified gate, and correct linkage adjustment, you won't hit those false neutrals.

Comment

I was told today to adjust the shifter where is just goes into 3rd and lock the linkage so it stops there and not to start the adjustment from reverse. Do not know if this is true or not, but worth a try. Plus I am a greenhorn to this application, meaning it could be me. Lol
      All the linkage, gate and shifter are nos.

Comment

I often grind a neutral between gears. It helps with double clutch downshifting.

Comment

Is the detent plunger adjusted correctly in the shift top? It should be easy to feel when it engages.
          Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Originally posted by Rubone View Post
            Is the detent plunger adjusted correctly in the shift top? It should be easy to feel when it engages.
            I was really wondering and really afraid of this one. I should have got this checked before putting the transmission in by a, known to me, transmission builder. I bought the transmission from a guy that built a lot of transmissions, but not familiar with his work. It just did not seem to me that it shifted that smoothly, but the gate is under the tank and not familiar with that yet.
            I changed my clutch setup back to stock yesterday, adjusted the clutch and got the primary put back together. I just have to put the floor board, exhaust back together and adjust the shifter.

Comment

Well I got the bike back together today and found all gears. It went right on down the highway running 80mph straight as an arrow. It still grinds going into 1st gear while stopped and at idle, but goes into 2nd gear without grinding, so I shift into 2nd gear first then downshift to 1st gear and 1st gear does not grind for some reason.
              The more I drove the bike, the easier it shifted.

My hand shifter keeps moving which is a problem. I noticed a set screw witness mark on the frame where my bike has a hand shifter mounted at one time before I got it. I put the set screw in the same place, but the shifter is very close to my tank. I mounted my shifter elsewhere, tightened the set screw and it still rotates a little. Should I drill a dimple in the frame for the set screw to seat so it does not rotate?

One thing to add about my brakes, I am running a .750" diameter wheel cylinder on my sidecar which brakes well and straight without pulling the bike to the right.
              Last edited by ryan; 08-15-2020, 11:16 PM.

Comment

That 3 and R transmission is know for grinding the lower gears especially if the clutch is not adjusted properly. With a little experience and practice you will soon be shifting like a pro.

Jerry

Originally posted by ryan View Post
                Well I got the bike back together today and found all gears. It went right on down the highway running 80mph straight as an arrow. It still grinds going into 1st gear while stopped and at idle, but goes into 2nd gear without grinding, so I shift into 2nd gear first then downshift to 1st gear and 1st gear does not grind for some reason.
                The more I drove the bike, the easier it shifted.

My hand shifter keeps moving which is a problem. I noticed a set screw witness mark on the frame where my bike has a hand shifter mounted at one time before I got it. I put the set screw in the same place, but the shifter is very close to my tank. I mounted my shifter elsewhere, tightened the set screw and it still rotates a little. Should I drill a dimple in the frame for the set screw to seat so it does not rotate?

One thing to add about my brakes, I am running a .750" diameter wheel cylinder on my sidecar which brakes well and straight without pulling the bike to the right.

Comment

Working...
                X