1929 jdh value

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1929 jdh value

What is the value of a 1929 jdh? I found a 1929 jdh that is rough, but not all rusted up, the engine does turn over, the frame is primer gray and tanks are primer red oxide. He said it has been that way since the mid 80s and the engine is a 74ci. He said he has a couple of other twin cam engines frames and front ends, but no titles, one a 61ci and the a 74ci. He also has a 1928 twin cam bike that was restored in the 70s that he wants to keep.
    I think these bikes are out of my league, I know nothing about them. I do know they are rare as my short research showed roughly a thousand built. He told me he may start moving the bikes this winter.
    My mind tells me it would nice to restore one, but also tells me the bike is not practical for me as I like to ride them.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

What I found in my copy of NADA Vintage Collectable % Retro M/C Guide, 2018 edition is as follows;

Harley Davidson JDH 74in.(twin cam) grade 5 thru grade 1; poor to excellent
    #5 condition POOR; parts bike, many missing or incorrect parts. i.e, project or parts bike at best... should be left to a professional for restoration.
    #4 condition FAIR; m/c worthy core for restoration. may include mods which may be cost prohibitive to return to original specs; m/c is a complete bike, may or may not run.
    #3 condition GOOD; m/c is in nice condition for its age, may need minor mechanical or cosmetic work to be considered a good rider. Bikes in this category generally appear used, but are still useable as street or off road use. Frames are straight and unaltered. replacement parts such as tires/tubes, brakes chains/sprockets and other minor wear items may be needed.
    #2 condition VERY GOOD; A very presentable, original M/C that may show signs of minimal wear OR a fully (mechanical&cosmetically) restored motorcycle that does NOT meet concourse standards, perhaps due to its age or overall quality. Most non-professionally restored bikes done correctly would fit in this category.
    #1 condition Excellent; A very correct AND original (even if it shows patina for its age) or an exceptionally restored motorcycle. This category is reserved for concourse or premium show quality. All equipment is original,NOS factory replacements or excellent reproduction parts of the finest quality. Over-restored or custom paint jobs, over-polishing or over-chrome or other activities that detract from originality do NOT fit into this category.

Book value, as of March,2018 1928 HD, JDH, 74in. (twin cam)
    #1 80650
    #2 44970
    #3 23930
    #4 17800
    #5 10465

These values are to be used as a guide, and may not reflect the actual price of machines sold. Considered as "rule of thumb"or a reference for buyer and seller.
    Prices are based on regional auction activity.
    Transportation costs and buyer/seller fees are not considered as part of estimated values. NADA assumes no liability for accuracy of the data

I copied, ver batum, the description of rating terms and valuations. This is the most recent NADA book that I currently have. My experience tells me the values may have increased significantly since this book was published (2018). Description of condition remains unchanged.

The NADA Guides are available through:

National Appraisal Guides, Inc.
    P.O. Box 7800
    Costa Mesa, CA. 92628
    (800)966-6232 ; (714)556-8511 ; FAX (714)556-8715
    JD Power, all rights reserved

Subscription price- $40.00 per year (single copy)

I've been receiving this valuation guide for about 10 yrs, the price seems to go up every couple of years. An A to Z guide to Antique and Vintage motorcycles, this book has been a great tool in negotiating a deal. This guide covers most motorcycles, and many obscure brands as well. Also contains actual auction results, not shown in the value guide section.
    Hope this is helpful.

C2K

Comment

I just sold a 1928 and a 1929 JDH's. Both baskets and fairly complete. Most the gingerbread was there, toolboxes, lights, dashes, etc. but both needed motors and transmissions rebuilt and total restorations. Fifty k for the pair and he was happy. You can ride them hard, they have front brakes and plenty of power and handle well. Just sayin'.
      DrSprocket

Comment

Thank you very much for the information! Even the junk ones are worth a lot of money. The 28 he has is probably a number 2, but the others fall way short of that. I will put them out of my mind and leave those to the professionals. I will go for one of the bikes he has that are in the late 30s, 40s and 50s. He has a ul basket that would be nice to get. He also has a 1914 and 1918 Excelsior that are really neat, although I would have no interest in, all these in a barn mind you.
        Thanks again!

Comment

Originally posted by RichO View Post
          I just sold a 1928 and a 1929 JDH's. Both baskets and fairly complete. Most the gingerbread was there, toolboxes, lights, dashes, etc. but both needed motors and transmissions rebuilt and total restorations. Fifty k for the pair and he was happy. You can ride them hard, they have front brakes and plenty of power and handle well. Just sayin'.
          Thanks for the information, he really has too many other bikes that it is hard for me to choose. I guess it all depends on price, but I really think I would be over my head with the jdh bikes.

Comment

Very informative ! I am curious about the NADA references - whether there is one covering all things or different volumes for motorcycle, cars etc. I tried pming C2K but despite being logged in, it wouldn't let me for some reason,
            thanks
            Dan

Comment

Yes, danf19, the NADA Guides have several different volumes, m/c's, cars, boats, antique and vintage travel trailers, tractors, personal watercraft, snowmobiles and more.
              If you contact them at "NADAguidesstore.com" or 800 966-6232. Although a bit pricy, the guides give insight to a reliable value system. Actual purchases don't necessarily follow the printed guide values, as Rich O pointed out. Sales fluctuate widely by region and season.
              Several years ago, The AMCA SoCal Chapter gave copies to participants in the "goodie bags" for their popular Borreggo Springs Winter Road Run. I found the Guide very useful, as I can reference brands that I'm not familiar with. Examples include Ariel, Bultaco, CZ, Mustang, MotoGuzzi, all the Japanese imports, British and Europeon bikes, and most others, foreign and domestic. Many rare brands dating back as far as 1905 to 1998.
              The pocket sized book is great for offering a perspective of the marketplace. I use my copy when browsing "Craigslist", Walneks, and the weekly shopper mags. Makes me feel better prepared when I come across a potential "find".
              Maybe not necessary every year, a copy every 2-3 years works well for me. A more aggressive buyer/seller may want to keep more up-to-date on current trends.

C2K

Comment

Working...
              X