• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• working on burned chief engine...

Hi there,

I am working on the chief engine...
    2020-08-06 12.37.jpg

Should I remove all the gussets off or leave as is..
    any suggestion please.

looks like the cylinder has biggest bore now. the piston diameter is 83.9m/m
    any way to get it back to STD bore. ? anybody carry sleeves for that? or have to get new cylinders..
    2020-08-06 12.37 (1).jpg

tks!!
    Shin
    Last edited by hdhikaru; 08-06-2020, 02:26 AM.

Hi Shin, Jerry Greer’s carries cylinder sleeves, I’ve never used them. And if you still have the baffles (...gussets?) then don’t take them out, they’re designed to help oil the cylinders by creating a higher vacuum.
    Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

I would leave the broken baffles(gussets) alone,round off any broken edges.They probably wont have much effect the way they are.
      The one thing I would not do is attempt to repair.
      Sleeving the cylinder would be my last choice.I would try to source a good original or I would contact Kiwi or Starklite as I think they both have reproduced cylinders,not sure of availability now.
      Last resort I would go thru all the modifications to make an India repro work.
      Tom

Comment

I've had 2 Chiefs with sleeved cylinders, and no problems. Both were done by a marine outboard motor machine shop. I have also known of bad sleeve jobs so that should be a concern. L.A. Sleeve can supply, and install the sleeves, and fit new pistons. Tom's suggestions above are very good and I have also heard positive things about the cylinders from India; but they should be 'blueprinted', and be machined if necessary, which could add proportionally to the overall expense. One more observation; the later square base cylinders ('44 and later) are stronger, and are better candidates for sleeves, but talk to an experienced machinist.
        Eric Smith
        AMCA #886

Comment

Another option may be Nikasil build up.
          Dinihanian advertises in the club mag .040build up without sleeves.
          This may not be an option if your in Japan with shipping but similar process may be available closer to home.
          I have no experience with this processes cost or results but would like to hear from any with knowledge.
          Oil refinery machine shop would routinely do spray metal build up of shafts and that was in the 80's.
          Eric's marine machine shop experience is a good thought and maybe also airplane motor shops,or exotic cars machine shops that do Nilasil.
          Tom
          Last edited by tfburke3; 08-07-2020, 03:54 PM.

Comment

thanks you guys! all appreciated

Comment

Working...
            X