Seat Stamps – Steel Date Code, Ink Date Code, and Other Stamps [PHOTOS]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seat Stamps – Steel Date Code, Ink Date Code, and Other Stamps [PHOTOS]

As to seat stamps, there are: (a) steel date code stamps, ink date code stamps, and ink "patent/trademark" stamps on shells; and (b) patent and other stamps in bindings and seat covers.

As to the steel date code stamp system, letters (and possibly numbers) were used. For buddy seats, codes are typically found on the bottom of the shell near or on the bracket. For solo seats, codes are typically found on the bottom of the shell near the pommel or the edge at the widest part of the seat. There is variation, including as to style, size, orientation, and location.

Codes are sometimes difficult to find (e.g., partially or completely filled or obscured by paint or rust or bracket). Found codes on most of my seats, including some that I hadn’t noticed before I knew to look for them. But, couldn’t locate codes on all of them. Found other non-stamped type letters or marks, but don’t believe they are date codes.

Don’t yet know exactly when the system started, but have seen 1940s seats that were steel stamp date coded. Based on notes and references in Milsco documents, I believe that the system may have stopped in or about October or November 1963. Not certain.

As to the ink date code stamp system, I believe that the system may have started in or about July 1963. Not certain.

As to the ink “patent/trademark” stamp system, I believe that the system may have stopped in early 1964.

Photos of examples to follow. Please feel free to share examples, including any from 1963 that may have both steel date code stamps and ink date code stamps.
    Fletcher Clark Johnston
    AMCA #282

Example 1:

Example 2:

Example 3:

Example 4:

Example 5:

Example 6:

Example 7:

Example 8:
    Fletcher Clark Johnston
    AMCA #282