Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maroon and White/Cream 1926 J model

Attached is the 1926 page from HD's publication "The Legend Begins"
    The note states that as an option "White and Cream along with Maroon" was available.
    My question is, has anybody ever seen any evidence of 1926 J's being painted like it is described in this HD publication?
    Maybe something was reported in the "Enthusiast" at that time?
    I do not have any copies of the "Enthusiast" that covers the period in question so any response in that direction would be appreciated.
    I do have a curve ball to throw into this discussion but before I do I would appreciate some feedback on the subject.
    Attached Files
    Peter Thomson, a.k.a. Tommo
    A.M.C.A. # 2777
    Palmerston North, New Zealand.

Your question rings a bell, Peter, but It's been many years since I saw purported documentation that additional colors were offered in those years. What I recall was a picture in one of Jerry Hatfield's books that showed a circa '26 H-D that was light colored (white, or cream); but Hatfield stated that those color options were never verified in H-D literature of that time. (?) It seems everyone who owns a motorcycle from the teens, or twenties knows of different color options for their motorcycle that was never stated on an order blank. I had that debate with a fellow who owned a late teens Henderson who claimed there was original paint next to the steel frame that verified his claim that his bike was not Olive Green from the factory. Maybe that was true, but he didn't have any genuine documentation, just a story and an opinion. Along those lines, I have a 'Motorcyclist' magazine from 1917 that has an article that clearly states Henderson painted 7 of their motorcycles Olive Green for a couple of military orders, but the other bikes were for buyers who wanted to show support for the military. I think that could be considered decent documentation, however, there was no mention if it was striped differently than the standard dark blue, and we all know that the devil is in the details. Motorcycle companies would do most anything to sell a bike in the teens, twenties, and thirties so I don't know if anything can be carved in stone. Curious to hear what you can add.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

John seems to think white & cream were available.

http://hdpaint.tk/colors/1926.html

Comment

Last October I purchased a 1925 J model basket case and during our covid lockdown I started to assemble it up.
        Both guards were taken to the local panel beater for repair but I did need a rear guard in the frame to make sure everything was fitting correctly.
        Up in the rafters was a nos 1925 guard that Dad had got from the NZ HD importers way back in the 1950's.
        It had a sticky black looking protective coating on it but it fitted up perfectly.
        By accident I got some WD40 overspray on it and when it was wiped off the protective coating came off to reveal a maroon colour underneath.
        Careful cleaning revealed both that this was factory applied and was exactly described as in the 1926 section of "The Legend Begins"
        Now this got me wondering if this colour selection was available in 1925 also, so this was the curve ball I suggested in my first post.
        For this rear guard to be sent to NZ by the factory suggests to me that this colour option must have existed.
        Why would the NZ importers order a guard painted this way unless they had at least one bike like that in NZ.
        Have a look at the photos and see what you think.
        What colour would the frame, forks, wheels and all the other painted parts be.
        What sort of reaction would the judges throw at you if you fronted with a bike painted like this?
        Attached Files
        Peter Thomson, a.k.a. Tommo
        A.M.C.A. # 2777
        Palmerston North, New Zealand.

Comment

Fantastic fender Tommo. My understanding is that if your bike does not meet the 'standard' as the judges see it you can provide documentation and that I believe you have. Jerry

Originally posted by Tommo View Post
          Last October I purchased a 1925 J model basket case and during our covid lockdown I started to assemble it up.
          Both guards were taken to the local panel beater for repair but I did need a rear guard in the frame to make sure everything was fitting correctly.
          Up in the rafters was a nos 1925 guard that Dad had got from the NZ HD importers way back in the 1950's.
          It had a sticky black looking protective coating on it but it fitted up perfectly.
          By accident I got some WD40 overspray on it and when it was wiped off the protective coating came off to reveal a maroon colour underneath.
          Careful cleaning revealed both that this was factory applied and was exactly described as in the 1926 section of "The Legend Begins"
          Now this got me wondering if this colour selection was available in 1925 also, so this was the curve ball I suggested in my first post.
          For this rear guard to be sent to NZ by the factory suggests to me that this colour option must have existed.
          Why would the NZ importers order a guard painted this way unless they had at least one bike like that in NZ.
          Have a look at the photos and see what you think.
          What colour would the frame, forks, wheels and all the other painted parts be.
          What sort of reaction would the judges throw at you if you fronted with a bike painted like this?

Comment

Not proof of anything here except that those colors were part of H-Ds system at least in '28. I'll look through the late '25 and '26 Enthusiasts for hints.

Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Working...
            X