Corbin Gentry solo seats...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FCJ View Post
    Can you post or send photos? May be able to help. Not sure I understand all the correct, technical upholstery terms, but have been researching seats. Generally familiar with some features and can distinguish and date some design, assembly, and production changes (e.g., shells; covers; welts; skirts; bindings; seams; decorations; tacks; clips; stamps; etc.). Aware of some sewing and stitching features and changes, but not always sure what to call it or how to describe what I see.
    I could not get a good picture of the seat with my cheap phone. I will try to call him and ask him what the seat is off of because he probably knows as it now lives on a wla now. I do not know all the upholstery terms either, but I do know quite a few leatherworkering terms.
    I have redone quite a few old Harley seats and have seen all kinds of combinations of this and that, but could not replicate the vinyl covered seats with vinyl, I would have to make mold and a vacuum table to do so.

Comment

Thanks for the heads up.... I do not have a seat to redo... hoping for the best for this seat.... but if I’m not happy then I can replace it later....

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Galli View Post
        Thanks for the heads up.... I do not have a seat to redo... hoping for the best for this seat.... but if I’m not happy then I can replace it later....
        Sorry, we got off track. I sure hope you can find a whole seat. I wish you luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Galli View Post
          Harley Davidson still makes them so I have heard and that what I’m going to get....
          Steve: Apologies for getting distracted. I haven't heard much good or bad about Corbin seats. In case it's helpful to you, below are some comments from Michael Paquette as to vintage and modern day HD seats. As to modern HD seats, I have seen other comments similar to K. Felt's comments (above). And, the current HD seats aren't cheap. If you go that route, sounds like you just need to check it out right away and return it if you aren't happy with it.

“As far as the new seat sold by H-D, I have actually seen them made at Milsco. The shell assembly ( seat pan) is much thinner than the originals from the 40's 50's, the pommel bracket is welded rather than rivited, the binding ( the part rivited to the bottom of the pan) is nylon, the padding rather than being injected moulded is two pieces of cheap 1 inch foam glued together, the leather cover is thin and cheap looking, and lastly, the skirt is made from a cheap plastic that will sag if it is in a hot climate."

“If you are looking to buy an original seat to ride--Do not waste your time. Old seat seldom are in any shape to be ridden and they tend to be quite expensive unless you have a museum piece that you do not ride or use it only to be judged for points-----"
          Fletcher Clark Johnston
          AMCA #282

Comment

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post
            Its been a coupla decades, Folks,

But Heather's work was everything I expected.

Unfortunately, I then went elsewhere: https://forum.antiquemotorcycle.org/...light=Royalite

For all the angst about rosettes lately, beware this fellow didn't even poke them in the center.

....Cotten
            Sorry to post to two threads at once, Folks,...

But I pulled this seat off the wall to discover the skirt is already disintegrating.

The worst part is I didn't want the skirt, but he insisted!

....Cotten
            Attached Files
            AMCA #776
            Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Corbin seats are not made in the U.S.A. anymore. Until a few years ago, they were advertised in V-Twin catalogs as using leather from Herman Oak Leather Co. in St. Louis. Herman Oak has been around since 1881. It's a shame they had to go the cheap route.

Craig

Comment

I bought a Tedd 'Corbin' solo sheepskin cover once, Craig!

It had ball-point hand-written instructions all over inside for how it was supposed to be sewn.

Imagine the ink settling into your leather or vinyl.

Didn't matter, because it would only go over a bare pan..

....Cotten
                AMCA #776
                Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Originally posted by 41craig View Post
                  Corbin seats are not made in the U.S.A. anymore. Until a few years ago, they were advertised in V-Twin catalogs as using leather from Herman Oak Leather Co. in St. Louis. Herman Oak has been around since 1881. It's a shame they had to go the cheap route.

Craig
                  Herman Oak is the top tanner in the USA and the Americas, but you still have to have the knowledge on what type of leather to buy. There are no cows in China, just water buffalos and their hides are thinner than thin upholstery leather, so they grind it up and add adhesive to form a particle leather, somewhat like particle board, this is why the leather flakes and falls apart.

Comment

Originally posted by ryan View Post
                    There are no cows in China, just water buffalos and their hides are thinner than thin upholstery leather, so they grind it up and add adhesive to form a particle leather, somewhat like particle board, this is why the leather flakes and falls apart.
                    I believe there are more cows in China than the US. China doesn't need to grind up cows or water buffalo. China buys hides from the US. Don't know which leather falls apart, but China may get most of its hides from the US.
                    Fletcher Clark Johnston
                    AMCA #282

Comment

Here is a pic of the seat from HD... made in Mexico...
                      0B34B753-E0E7-46C4-8C2D-951E602D6EE8.jpeg

Comment

Working...
                      X