Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corbin Gentry solo seats...

Hello All,
    Anyone purchase a solo seat from this vendor and how was the quality?
    Need one for my 58FL....
    Any other recommendations would be very much appreciated....
    Steve

Don't know if your just looking for something cheap or restoration quality. Take a look at Heather's Leathers.
    http://www.heathersleathers.com/solosplainhd.html

Comment

I will look them up!
      Thank you for the tip!

Comment

Its been a coupla decades, Folks,

But Heather's work was everything I expected.

Unfortunately, I then went elsewhere: https://forum.antiquemotorcycle.org/...light=Royalite

For all the angst about rosettes lately, beware this fellow didn't even poke them in the center.

....Cotten
        AMCA #776
        Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post

Unfortunately, I then went elsewhere: https://forum.antiquemotorcycle.org/...light=Royalite

For all the angst about rosettes lately, beware this fellow didn't even poke them in the center.

....Cotten
          The older seats were sewn with natural flax thread with hot wax on a needle and awl machine. People redoing the older seats today use nylon thread and a single eyed needle machine.
          The stitch looks identical on the top and bottom on a needle and awl machine as it has positive locks on thread tension and has no problems sewing with the same size thread on the top and bottom. The stitching on a single needle machine does not look the same on the top and bottom for a couple of reasons; the machine has friction-tension discs and does not have positive lock tension which creates a problem pulling the bottom thread up thru the leather so a larger needle has to be used over original or thread size and one size smaller thread is used on the bottom(bobbin), the larger needle may make it hard to achieve proper stitch length. The needle and awl machine can use the correct needle size and achieve correct stitch length.
          Is this ok with you guys or do you want it exactly done like the original?
          This is only the beginning of what I see in recovered seats.
          1. Another thing I see is how the spots or clinched on the bottom of the leather and also see the wrong prong length.
          2. I see airbrushed patina instead of natural patina.
          3. Stitch count per inch is wrong.
          4. The edges are not finished were applicable or wrong size edger or cheap edger is used.
          5. Wrong finish
          6. Wrong size strapend punch is used on bags.
          Tools of the era need to be used, really. I am going to stop here, I do not know what you guys are looking for??? Can someone elaborate on how correct you want them?
          Last edited by ryan; 07-30-2020, 10:34 PM.

Comment

Thanks Cotten,
            Harley Davidson still makes them so I have heard and that what I’m going to get....
            Heathers Leathers looks amazing but this bike is seriously over budget and the HD one was less money
            Maybe on the next project....

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Galli View Post
              Thanks Cotten,
              Harley Davidson still makes them so I have heard and that what I’m going to get....
              Heathers Leathers looks amazing but this bike is seriously over budget and the HD one was less money
              What size rosettes(conchos) do you need? Do you need scalloped(round edges) or pointed edges and what color? I will help you out, if I can, if you need leather rosettes(conchos)

Comment

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post

....Cotten
                Cotten,
                Do you need a Harley seat covered? I am getting ready to run a couple of the plain older ones with the slicked edges, not the chrome tanned seat from maybe the 60s up that has the leather rolled over the edge.
                Since you seem to be, respectively so, one of the most outspoken, I will do you one for free to hear your honest opinion on the job that I do.
                I cannot remember the year that Harley changed from the veg tanned slick edge to the chrome tanned rolled over edge.
                Last edited by ryan; 08-01-2020, 05:25 AM.

Comment

All my projects are waiting for new owners, Ryan!

...Cotten
                  AMCA #776
                  Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Galli View Post
                    Thanks Cotten,
                    Beware of the new Harley Davidson seats. I bought a "Deluxe Solo" for my '65 and had to return it cuz the leather was nowhere near as thick as original and the whole skirt was off to one side by a full inch. Made in Mexico I think. Ended up having the old one redone.

Comment

Originally posted by ryan View Post
                      The older seats were sewn with natural flax thread...
                      Which seats were sewn with natural flax thread?
                      Fletcher Clark Johnston
                      AMCA #282

Comment

Originally posted by FCJ View Post
                        Which seats were sewn with natural flax thread?
                        I know pre-1940, but not for sure how much later they started using nylon. Every Messinger that I personally have done had hot waxed flax thread

Comment

I know pre-1940, but not for sure how much later they started using nylon. Every Messinger that I personally have done had hot waxed flax thread
                          I don't know much about pre-1940 anything. I believe that linen thread was used for at least some purposes in at least the 1940s, 1950s, and 1960s. But, in this particular context, maybe "natural flax thread" is also "linen thread"? They may also have used cotton thread for some purposes in at least the 1940s and 1950s. I think they transitioned to nylon thread for most purposes in or by the 1960s. Don't know anything for certain, including as to thread, covers, skirts, or any other materials.
                          Fletcher Clark Johnston
                          AMCA #282

Comment

Originally posted by FCJ View Post
                            I don't know much about pre-1940 anything. I believe that linen thread was used for at least some purposes in at least the 1940s, 1950s, and 1960s. But, in this particular context, maybe "natural flax thread" is also "linen thread"? They may also have used cotton thread for some purposes in at least the 1940s and 1950s. I think they transitioned to nylon thread for most purposes in or by the 1960s. Don't know anything for certain, including as to thread, covers, skirts, or any other materials.
                            Fletcher,
                            Yes, flax and linen thread are the same. I did see an original harley seat today that had the natural edge covered with a small strip rolled over the edge and it created a double stitch, because of being sewn in the same needle holes as the cover, around the whole seat. Do you have any ideas on this seat?
                            As to the skirts and materials, I did have suppliers for the plastic sheeting that was an exact grain match to the mid 60s skirts. I have clicker dies for some skirts, but not the 3 piece Royalite skirt.
                            Last edited by ryan; 08-01-2020, 09:07 PM.

Comment

I did see an original harley seat today that had the natural edge covered with a small strip rolled over the edge and it created a double stitch, because of being sewn in the same needle holes as the cover, around the whole seat. Do you have any ideas on this seat?
                              Can you post or send photos? May be able to help. Not sure I understand all the correct, technical upholstery terms, but have been researching seats. Generally familiar with some features and can distinguish and date some design, assembly, and production changes (e.g., shells; covers; welts; skirts; bindings; seams; decorations; tacks; clips; stamps; etc.). Aware of some sewing and stitching features and changes, but not always sure what to call it or how to describe what I see.
                              Fletcher Clark Johnston
                              AMCA #282

Comment

Working...
                              X