Kickstart stud removal...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kickstart stud removal...

So, it didn't take long for me to need to reach out to the group with my first "tech question"....although it may be relatively simple one. I am in the process of trying to extract the kickstart stud from my (nearly) bare Chief frame. Here's the catch: after removing the set screw, the stud appeared to be loose, so I began wiggling it and started to pull it out. After about 3/8" or so, it got tight again. So, I've been soaking it and working it in and out but no luck. I tried heating the boss a bit with a propane torch (about 450F surface metal temp) and still no luck. I've concluded that either inside the frame or the stud has rusted and expanded so it can't be readily removed. I've also tried inserting a drift through the hole in the frame on the left side after heating the boss and driving it out with a hammer. No good.
    Anyone ever run into this? My next step is to slice it off just outside the shoulder and drill it out while clamping in place by the shoulder so it doesn't spin. Maybe I just need a bigger hammer, but I've been around long enough to know that's its always better to ask than get the big hammer.

????

Thanks in advance!

I would advise that you back up the frame casting before you apply the big hammer.You could put a piece of steel pipe with just enough id to fit over stud in a vise then lay frame on pipe so you have less chance of bending a frame tube and the hammer will be more effective.
    Tom

Comment

Tom:

Thanks, but I really wanted to avoid the big hammer. Here's what I did:
      Concluding that the stud was a loss anyway, I retapped the hole for a bolt, then assembled a bolt with a nut and locked it in place. I tapped the stud through the hole on the left side with the drift and hammer, when it locked up, I used my small cordless impact and socket on the bolt to keep it turning. Tap, turn, tap, turn until it came out. After examining the stud, it appears that it was dimpled by improper location of the the set screw. Whew, oversize stud here I come. I cleaned and examined the boss support and it appears to be in nice condition, no cracks or previous repairs. DSC_0656.jpgDSC_0659.jpg

Comment

Working...
      X