Linkert main jet and fuel blends

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linkert main jet and fuel blends

Recently while trying to put together a working Linkert 74B from parts I noticed some of my Linkerts had the main jet on the right and a plug on the left while others had the main jet on the left and plugged on the right. Will the location make any difference? Also I use Tom’s liberty floats in all my carburetors and try to run non ethanol gas. Since I’m using a modern float is there any downside to running E10 gas which is much more readily available?

They both lead to the same place, Otis!

Just for confusion, here's a cutaway of the DLX/L&L design;

The level of both plugged galleries, here broken off, were below the HS needle seat, both drilled to the same central nozzle void, or "well".

(I'm not going to cut up a Linkert.)

....Cotten
    PS: It ain't just the ethanol, Otis!
    Although it may make all the other additives worse, its the injector cleaners, Intake Valve Deposit additives (IVD), antifoams, detergents, etc., etc.
    Combinations of proprietary fuels, particularly when mixed in the tank by interstate travel, seems to be the worst fuel scenario.

We are fortunate that the premium float material is still available, and still the most resistant material on the market, by far. But there will be no future improvements, and the fuels are constantly changing.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 07-21-2020, 01:12 PM.
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Tom,
      In regard to the fuel, I fully understand the fuel is garbage but is the modern non ethanol fuel less harmful? I pay a huge premium and have to drive to another state to get it. Just wondering if it’s worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by otis71 View Post
        Tom,
        In regard to the fuel, I fully understand the fuel is garbage but is the modern non ethanol fuel less harmful? I pay a huge premium and have to drive to another state to get it. Just wondering if it’s worth it.
        My only handle on "harmfull", Otis,..

Is how it eats things. Like floats.

With one of mine, you get a pass on 10% ETOH itself, but it could get scary if you mix different fuels from different sources, as the effects of other additives are "synergistic".

Please pick a convenient local brand and stick with it. Even if its totally different next "summer blend" anyway!

....Cotten
        Last edited by T. Cotten; 07-21-2020, 04:22 PM.
        AMCA #776

Comment

I also am trying to put together a M35 as a spare for my 1945 FL. There is a plug in both holes with no main jet. Is this normal and if not what size main jet?

Comment

There is no fixed jet, Otis!

All fuel is metered through the HS needle seat.

....Cotten
            AMCA #776

Comment

Thanks for the input. I’m trying to resuscitate a m35 to use as a spare. The friction ball on the low speed side is stuck in a recessed position and the ball and spring on the high speed side are missing. What holds them in place? I’m thinking maybe just the needle.

Comment

The needle knob detente balls are staked to retain them, Otis,..

So the best method of removal and replacement saves as much metal as possible, and the critical spacing for tension as well.

When the ball is pulled by "welding" filler rod to it, often the next ball and spring will snap in nicely, without further staking, requiring a very precise drift.

It helps to do a few dozen for experience, of course.

.....Cotten
                PS: Potmetal carbs such as the Schebler in the attachment will often shatter if re-staked, Folks, so please do not try.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by T. Cotten; 08-04-2020, 08:40 PM.
                AMCA #776

Comment

Working...
                X