No announcement yet.

Anyone Ever Seen This Type of Problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone Ever Seen This Type of Problem?

This is a photo of a vertical Indian center transmission case section. Does anyone know what the average cost for re-molding the fitting would be?

Thanks.
    -JR 36450

1295005 Vertical Transmission Center Section.jpg

Boy, that is going to be a tough one by the bearings. You really need a welder that is familiar with and welds motorcycle cases or the press fit will be gone in the neighboring bearing.
    Good luck!

Comment

I would start with what is the average cost of replacement.
      Remove bushings and bearings,make a fixture for the mill to indicate center on the busted bushing so it cam be remounted in the same spot,weld and then machine and make oversize bushing and install.I would guess about 6 hours labor.No idea of what someone would charge,but why if good used is available.
      Tom

Comment

Tom gives excellent advice; look for a good replacement first. Fixing the one you have requires first class welding, and machining. However, there is 2/3 of the hole left, so you may be able to do some creative machining that would work. I assume the big holes are for the main shaft, and countershaft; so what is the broken bearing boss for? If it's not a high stress feature, you may not have to go to Mars to get it fixed
        Eric Smith
        AMCA #886

Comment

Originally posted by exeric View Post
          Tom gives excellent advice; look for a good replacement first. Fixing the one you have requires first class welding, and machining. However, there is 2/3 of the hole left, so you may be able to do some creative machining that would work. I assume the big holes are for the main shaft, and countershaft; so what is the broken bearing boss for? If it's not a high stress feature, you may not have to go to Mars to get it fixed
          I am not familiar with vertical Indians but it looks suspiciously like a kicker shaft hole...
          Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

I thought the same as well, Robbie. Probably why it's broken. Anything can be fixed, but looking for a replacement would save a lot of grief.
            Eric Smith
            AMCA #886

Comment

Looks like a die casting. May or may not weld nicely.

Comment

Thank all of you for the advice. The reason I wanted to know is because that's the only damage. If there's a process out there to save a vintage part and I'm trying to learn how to do this, you guys can help me understand what is involved. I also purchased two from the same source with the same damage. See the photo for comparison. I don't really now how this happened and can only guess too high stress on the part with no repair. I don't know. Thanks especially to Burke for the technical explanation.
                -JR
                Vertical Transmission Center Case Comparison number ending 05 and another with no number.jpg

Comment

I would say time to move on. Likely a repair will be short lived as history on this type of thing has proven to me.
                  #7558 Take me on and you take on the whole trailer park!

Comment

Working...
                  X