Fractured Bell Housing '46 Servicar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fractured Bell Housing '46 Servicar

My '46 servicar has a fractured rear end bell housing, I'm going to pull it apart and have it repaired locally.
    Being a newbie is there anything I should be aware of when pulling it apart?

IMG_4403.jpg
    IMG_4404.jpg

Thanks in advance.
    Mike

About ready to split the bell halves. Everything's disconnected...some of them nuts and bolts have probably never be out before.
    That wire lock spring looks a bit tricky but I should be able to get it out tomorrow evening, got to give it a think.

IMG_4483.jpg
    IMG_4486.jpg

While cleaning parts for reassembly I found two fractures in the kicker housing bolt holes at opposite ends...get them welded up tomorrow.

Comment

Clean it really well and preheat and let it stabilize between welding and let it cool very slowly. If you can wrap it in some kind of insulation. Jerry

Comment

Thanks Jerry, great advise.
        Mike

Comment

Well, despite what the service manual and other beloved books say...the safety wire spring that runs through the bolts that hold the halves together does not, will not and can not come out easily.
          After several attempts over that last week or so I gave up and clipped the wire into pieces and will have to get some either 16 or 14ga piano wire when I start the re-install.

IMG_4724.jpg

Here's a quick tip...when you remove the rear springs keep handy an oversized washer, you will need to keep your wrench between the spring coils to stop the top bolt from spinning as you remove the top nut. Put the temporary large washer over the bold keeping the wrench in place and replace the nut. This will keep the bolt from dropping down inside the spring where you will have to fish it out later.
          I, of course didn't consider this until it was to late.

IMG_4714.jpg

Now back to the service manual to figure out how to get the rest of it apart.
          Just kind of thinking out loud...hope nobody minds.
          Kind of helps me process a bit.

Mike
          Last edited by trikemike; 07-27-2020, 11:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X