Scavebger Pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scavebger Pump

So my question is to pull the scavenger pump, inspect, clean and repair (New gaskets etc) or not.
    The bike has been sitting for longer than I care to admit, when last run it no oil recirculating problems. Decided to put it into service around the property and locally so I took it down to the frame for a deep cleaning and inspection.

Went ahead and bought the oil pump kit from (45) and the double ended burnishing tool from that east bay site.
    I'm sure it's very knowledgeable creator is here on this site somewhere.

So the question is:
    Should I pull the scavenger pump while the engine is on the bench or leave it alone so as not to disrupt the breather timing.
    Can't seem to find much info about it on the world wide.

I have books, tools, time (some) and basic skills. Don't really have any fear of the unknown which can be a downfall. That's why I'm hoping from some guidance before I screw something up.

IMG_3179.jpg
    IMG_3463.jpg

Mike

Guess I can't edit my misspelling in the title
    Last edited by trikemike; 07-18-2020, 05:33 PM.

How steady and creative are you? If you put the timing mark in the center of the hole on front cylinder compression stroke and pull the pump straight down and out you can mark the position of the rotor. When getting ready to reassembly if you put it in exactly the position it came out you can gently stab it and have the gears mesh just like they were before. But it is tricky and the engine needs to be locked in position so the crank cannot move during this process. But why remove the scavenger pump in the first place?
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Sounding like I should just leave well enough alone.
      I just thought that if it has a screen...maybe it should be cleaned and it's a lot of work to get to it. Engine removal and all.
      Thanks for the response and guidance, I was leaning that way.
      Something in the back of my head was saying...don't go there.

Mike

Comment

Working...
      X