1932 VL Handlebars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1932 VL Handlebars

Trying to determine the correct handlebars for my 32 VL. It appears that the bars on the bike now are similar to JD bars and 1930 VL - shaped like a sweeping "U" rather than having a distinct bend. Replicant and Faber list these two and both are suggested correct for 32.

Any input would be appreciated
    Attached Files

Here's what's on my 32. I can't be sure these are correct for 32 so I'm probably just adding another layer of confusion. These bars are pretty wide measuring 36 - 37 inches from grip end to grip end.
    001.jpg, 002.jpg, 003.jpg

Steve Slaminko

Comment

Those look the ones I've seen on most 32s. I've been checking out pics online and they most all are like yours. My current ones are about 30 inches wide but come back quite far.

Thanks for playing!

Cheers,

Marc

Comment

These are the bars on my 31V. It's a very low serial number, export bike, so these could be what you describe as a 'sweeping' U. It came with some other left over '30 parts as well.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Peter Cooke; 07-19-2020, 02:28 AM.

Comment

Many bars were bobbed in their lifetime so the shape is not always an accurate guide. The left horn button came out in 1926 and the right dip switch in 1929 which helps identify JD bars. The shorter spirals came out in 1935 which also helps. The giveaway for you is that Harley went to thicker wall tubing for the bars in 1931, so the plungers and end nuts are smaller diameter than the JDs.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Slocombe View Post
            The giveaway for you is that Harley went to thicker wall tubing for the bars in 1931, so the plungers and end nuts are smaller diameter than the JDs.
            Good point. So mine are definitely 31 bars then.

Comment

I appreciate the input. I will measure the wall diameter but some other info came to me that suggests these are from a 1927 JD and have had some modifications.

Comment

Working...
              X