Brakes weaker for first mile or so

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes weaker for first mile or so

I had the '48 Chief out for a 50 mi ride yesterday and it rode really well. But lately I've been noticing that for the first mile or so, the brakes are more useless than they normally are. I understand this bike is never going to brake like a modern one, and I have enough experience with old cars and bikes to take it really easy. After that first mile or so, it seems to stop normally for the type of bike it is. The first mile is worse, even at low speed.

Is this normal? If not, any idea what this might be?

Thanks!

I've never experienced that and do not think its normal. I know you've done some work to the bike but can't recall if you had the wheels off to check brakes, pivots, etc. Grease can migrate into the brake drums and reduce already marginal braking. Not saying that's whats going on in your case, but really there isn't much else I can think of that would cause variation like you are experiencing.
    Can you tell if its more the rear brake or front. You should be able to lock up the rear wheel without any problem with a firm hit. Pulling wheels and cleaning up and inspecting bearings and brakes is regular maintenance for me. Maybe every 2000 miles or so.
    Last edited by Skirted; 07-20-2020, 05:59 AM.
    Jason Zerbini
    Near Pittsburgh PA (Farm Country)
    Allegheny Mountain Chapter http://amcaamc.com/

Comment

Could it simply be your brakes just need cleaned, deglazed and adjusted? Something may be heating up and expanding, that's why they work after the first mile.
      Last edited by ryan; 07-20-2020, 06:57 AM.

Comment

Thanks. I’ll take them apart this winter to check them out but in the meantime they seem to be ok after that initial period. Could someone please describe what the front brake normally should feel like? Mine will slow me down a bit and hold you he bike at a stop on a hill, but not a whole lot more.

Comment

Sounds about the right description for the front. We have some steep hills here with an occasional stop sign at the bottom. Depending on grade, sometimes the front brake barely holds the bike completely stopped, especially riding 2 up. The more you ride the more you'll learn the limitations of braking and instinctively adjust. Ride in a manner that helps avoid the necessity of a quick/panic stop.
          Jason Zerbini
          Near Pittsburgh PA (Farm Country)
          Allegheny Mountain Chapter http://amcaamc.com/

Comment

I hope you driveway is longer than a mile and slightly uphill.
            I wouldnt wait if your riding it.
            Tom

Comment

Not sure if this solves the problem, but I just realized the brake pedal *just* hits the frame when the pedal is pushed. This is when the bike is stationary. When I do it on the road, with more speed and leg pressure, this could be limiting my rear brake effectiveness. I adjusted the rear rod so it's shorter by about four turns, and the wheel still turns freely when the brake isn't on, so I may even have more room to go.

I also realized my brake light switch has the wrong spring, and it doesn't turn on the light right away. Time for another small order of parts I guess.

Comment

Working...
              X