Gas Tank sealing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RichO View Post
    No need to apologize Eric. Just don't take his bait. That's what he really wants. Now on to the thread. Because he was involved I didn't want to answer but I have welded and brazed repairs on all types of gas tanks through the years and I have used the old Kream three part system. I have had them exposed to all types of fuel on National road runs from coast to coast with no failures. I'm with you in that the prep and application has to be anal to the fifth degree. But the proof is in the pudding. I would NEVER use a sealant of any kind in an oil tank. Peace!
    Specifically, DrSprocket,..

Have you welded or brazed AFTER a sealer was applied?

Was it fun?

THAT is my point on this topic.

....Cotten
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 07-20-2020, 10:41 AM.
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Who would? It would contaminate the weld and the heat would mess up the coating. Pretty much common sense there. Any logical person would coat after the welding. If it's repaired properly there 's nothing wrong with coating it after if done correctly. Your point is?
      DrSprocket

Comment

Originally posted by RichO View Post
        Who would? ... Your point is?
        Topic Post#1
        Originally posted by Steve Galli View Post
        ... my painter was able to weld the pin holes up... he suggested sealing since the metal was so thin... I didn’t want to seal the inside but wanted to see what the restoration gurus thought...
        Topic Post #2
        Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post
        ...Your welder aught to know that any future repairs are a helluva lot easier without a goober in the way..
        I guess my point was to answer Steve's question, and then let the diva sing.

...Cotten
        Last edited by T. Cotten; 07-20-2020, 11:10 AM.
        AMCA #776

Comment

Thanks all.... would using stabil year round and keeping the tanks full help?

Comment

Thanks all.... would using stabil year round and keeping the tanks full help?
            Gosh Steve!

What exactly are we trying to "help"?

Good deeds get punished as often as rewarded.

....Cotten
            AMCA #776

Comment

Hey Cotten.... prevent future rust.... that’s all.... no more rust no issues....

Comment

Hey Cotten.... prevent future rust.... that’s all.... no more rust no issues....
                Rust is oxidation of course, Steve,..

So if we keep oxygen away, it can't eat the iron. So let's think about some ways that's done, beyond just keeping them full, of course.

Encapsulating with a 'soft and pliable' sealer is perhaps the only alternative for those with terneplate tanks, when it works.
                But those of us with 'modern' tanks can fix pinholes traditionally. And well into the future easily, if there isn't a soft sealer.

So I believe in hard coatings, which traditionally have far, far greater P4gas resistance, if not fuel-PROOF.
                They can seal phenomenally, although they don't always survive the 'tweak' of soldered-construction tanks, or mechanical damage, such as vibration. But they do not inhibit future repairs.
                My stash is so old its name was changed to Omnithane 530, and probably changed again. Search the company TNEMEC, and probably pay as much for hazmat shipping as for the gallon, but its THE stuff. An isocyanate you don't even have to mix or spray!

....Cotten
                PS: I think the MOCO used a phosphate coating, although I found the same mysterious goober that held pan felts swabbed inside my '65 Police Special.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by T. Cotten; 07-26-2020, 11:08 AM.
                AMCA #776

Comment

Working...
                X