Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas Tank sealing?

Hello all,
    I am restoring my 58 FL and the one tank was really badly rusted out .... I had to soak in evaporust for a week to get the rust out... there were pin holes in one spot... my painter was able to weld the pin holes up and the tank pressure tested ok for leaks.... he suggested sealing since the metal was so thin... I didn’t want to seal the inside but wanted to see what the restoration gurus thought...
    thanks everyone for your help!

I'm nobody's guru, Steve!

But its like this:

Your welder aught to know that any future repairs are a helluva lot easier without a goober in the way.

….Cotten
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

I had a rad shop do the red coat on two sets of tanks at the same time my 1948 and a customers when I was running my shop, the customer tells me that hers gummed up and she had to have the carB rebuilt after. However my 48 sat for a year before fuel went in and is good to this day. Both were done at the same time.

Craig

Comment

Just from my experience, I had my 45" tanks coated many years ago. The fuel side seems to be holding well but the oil side tank is flaking off when the oil gets hot and gumming up my oil pump. So now I'm in the process of trying to remove the stuff from my oil tank.
        Craig (Delaware)
        Delaware Bay Chapter
        Perkiomen Chapter
        AMCA Member #1011

Comment

I had a set done by a local shop that uses Fuel Tank-Renu. if you not worrying about paint.
          Pressure checked when done and guaranteed, expensive but I was happy with there work.
          Moyers Fuel Tank-Renu
          Greensburg, Pa.
          1-800-328-9550
          IMG_2553.jpg
          IMG_2555.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by 55tmm View Post
            I had a set done by a local shop that uses Fuel Tank-Renu. if you not worrying about paint.
            Pressure checked when done and guaranteed, expensive but I was happy with there work.
            Moyers Fuel Tank-Renu
            Greensburg, Pa.
            1-800-328-9550
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]29019[/ATTACH]
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]29020[/ATTACH]
            I heard lots of good stuff about that shop. I called them about my 45" tanks but they were hesitant since I already had a coating inside.
            Craig (Delaware)
            Delaware Bay Chapter
            Perkiomen Chapter
            AMCA Member #1011

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Galli View Post
              Hello all,
              I am restoring my 58 FL and the one tank was really badly rusted out .... I had to soak in evaporust for a week to get the rust out... there were pin holes in one spot... my painter was able to weld the pin holes up and the tank pressure tested ok for leaks.... he suggested sealing since the metal was so thin... I didn’t want to seal the inside but wanted to see what the restoration gurus thought...
              thanks everyone for your help!
              Isn't there an advertisement in our magazine that fixes tanks? I think they tin coat the tanks before repairing. Not sure if that is the place already mentioned.

Comment

Harley tanks are, by far the easiest tanks to repair because they are well formed, heavy gauge, and can be welded, or brazed. The back panels can be removed by carefully grinding the weld seams thus allowing access to the inside of the tank. You can also cut bad sections out, and weld, or braze repair sections in. I've done many tanks from Flying Merkel, Henderson, Excelsior, Indian, and most recently a Honda Black Bomber and H-D's '36 and later tanks are still the easiest, and best. I also use tank sealers, and I use Red Kote. Tank sealers are controversial, and will always start an argument but tank sealer failure is most often due to improper preparation of the surface it's put on. That last sentence is what always starts the argument
                Eric Smith
                AMCA #886

Comment

Originally posted by exeric View Post
                  Harley tanks are, by far the easiest tanks to repair because they are well formed, heavy gauge, and can be welded, or brazed. The back panels can be removed by carefully grinding the weld seams thus allowing access to the inside of the tank. You can also cut bad sections out, and weld, or braze repair sections in. I've done many tanks from Flying Merkel, Henderson, Excelsior, Indian, and most recently a Honda Black Bomber and H-D's '36 and later tanks are still the easiest, and best. I also use tank sealers, and I use Red Kote. Tank sealers are controversial, and will always start an argument but tank sealer failure is most often due to improper preparation of the surface it's put on. That last sentence is what always starts the argument
                  So Eric!

How does a 'weld' or 'braze' go after you have goobered them?

Just asking for a friend.

....Cotten
                  AMCA #776

Comment

I'm not going there. Find another chump.
                    Eric Smith
                    AMCA #886

Comment

I'm not going there. Find another chump.
                      It always hurts to remove a band-aid, Folks!

....Cotten
                      AMCA #776

Comment

.......... what?
                        Eric Smith
                        AMCA #886

Comment

.......... what?
                          Originally posted by exeric
                          You are one sick mother****er. You don't have the guts to write to me about your mental problems so you wait for an audience to air your stupid comments. I'm sure Freud had a name for nut jobs like you, but who cares; you're incurable. What a pity that you share the same hobby I am passionate about. I have asked you repeatedly to ignore my posts as you never have anything worthy of comment, or contribution, yet you persist. Just fall off the ****ing planet, asshole.
                          In case my point was missed, Folks,..

Tank sealers are a 'band-aid', and a real pain to remove for future repairs.

Been there, done that.

....Cotten
                          AMCA #776

Comment

Okay. You posted my P.M. that I sent you last night; which shows how untrustworthy you are (no reply from cotten, b.t.w.). You have some sick obsession with me that goes way back, and only in your twisted mind does it make any sense to you. I have sent you at least 4 p.m.s to discuss our differences and you have never replied. I have apologized for things I have said, and still no reply. I will not apologize for my last p.m. as I now mean every word of it. I think you are a coward, and a grandstander that has to have an audience for his sick twisted ego, and mysterious comments. I do wonder, however, if your goal is to force me off this forum. If that's your motive, the administrator will have to do it, not you. So, I have decided to stay here, and I will say this publically, and for the 4th time; COTTEN, IGNORE MY POSTS !

P.M. Folks, his last comment about tank liners is a deflection. If it wasn't, he would have described his removal methods. The point of a forum is to exchange ideas, not the self aggrandizing B.S. that cotten spews.

It takes 2 to tango, so I will apologize to the AMCA membership for my part in this vomit fest. This pettiness has no place in our hobby. I have lots of friends, and get along with everyone, so this is particularly disturbing to me. Again, I apologize to the membership.
                            Eric Smith
                            AMCA #886

Comment

No need to apologize Eric. Just don't take his bait. That's what he really wants. Now on to the thread. Because he was involved I didn't want to answer but I have welded and brazed repairs on all types of gas tanks through the years and I have used the old Kream three part system. I have had them exposed to all types of fuel on National road runs from coast to coast with no failures. I'm with you in that the prep and application has to be anal to the fifth degree. But the proof is in the pudding. I would NEVER use a sealant of any kind in an oil tank. Peace!
                              DrSprocket

Comment

Working...
                              X