new member 1950FL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new member 1950FL

Hi, this is John MacIntyre a new member from Nederland, Colorado. Nederland is a small mountain town west of Boulder. I recently purchased my uncle's 1950 FL. The bike was stored in my uncle's barn for close to 40 years. It had been repainted a couple times but the parts look to be original to the bike. I cleaned up the fuel system, replaced the battery, and changed to oil.....with a few kicks the bike started right up!! I am in the process of restoring the bike as best I can. I will appreciate advice from this group as I go through the restoration. I am getting a ton of help from John Pierce ColorWrite in NH. He has accepted the challenge of returning my sheet metal and trim to their original glory. I am also going through Bruce Palmer's third edition.

Thanks,
    John
    John MacIntyre AMCA 40796

Welcome John,
    Great place you live in. My wife and I have been through that area many times on antique and modern bikes. I've seen Tim O'brien play local bars there as well. Knew a few of his old band members.
    I like 1950 models and it sounds like you got a good one. Feel free to ask anything on here , lots of people to help you. I have lots of original '50 literature if you need scans of anything for your project.
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

This area is so rich in music. Send me a PM before your next trip up here.

My wife and I travel to NM every year and usually stay in Santa Fe or Abique. We were planning Albuquerque this year but covid closed the hotel in old town. It is a beautiful area, we love it there.

First question:

My uncle had the engine rebuilt and he painted the heads and cylinders black. I have seen pictures with them unpainted or the cylinders black but not the heads and cylinders. Did the heads and cylinders ever come from the factory black? Taking the black off sounds like a tough project, can I leave them black for a restoration?

Pan at party.jpg

John

Comment

In 1950 They were raw finish on the heads and silver painted cylinders, as were all panheads other than some early '48s with black cylinders. But unless you plan to have it judged it is a personal decision to use the finish you like. If judged you'll take a points hit.
        Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Rubone.....
          Thank you for the information. I am painting the frame so I will have engine out. I am also going to try to replace the o-ring intake for the original plumber style. I think that will require loosening the heads or maybe removing them. Bottom line this is probably the best time to strip the black paint from cylinders and heads and paint cylinders silver. Is there a high temp silver rattle can paint commonly used for the cylinders?

Thanks,
          John

Comment

Hi John,

Welcome, I too am restoring a 1950 FL. I asked that same question within the last year, so if you experiment with the search here you might find an answer. My memory won’t help as I am in Canada and the suggestions were American products.

You will likely have to remove manifold conversion Adaptors to change your intake. That is not necessarily an evening project I think it takes a bit of work.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 1950FL View Post
              This area is so rich in music. Send me a PM before your next trip up here.

My wife and I travel to NM every year and usually stay in Santa Fe or Abique. We were planning Albuquerque this year but covid closed the hotel in old town. It is a beautiful area, we love it there.

First question:

My uncle had the engine rebuilt and he painted the heads and cylinders black. I have seen pictures with them unpainted or the cylinders black but not the heads and cylinders. Did the heads and cylinders ever come from the factory black? Taking the black off sounds like a tough project, can I leave them black for a restoration?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29006[/ATTACH]

John
              We camp often around the Abiquiu area up on the Chama river. Being a native of Taos we spend very little time in Santa Fe. The pretentiousness can get overwhelming!
              Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Hi Craig,
                I found an old post about painting cylinders and heat resistant silver from H-D p/n is 98660-78 is what was used. Does that sound right?

John

Comment

So if you are around Taos that is not too far from Cimarron NM. Do you know Cimarron Cycle Works (Colin and Erin)? I purchase parts for my panhead from them.

John

Comment

I've never met them in person but have spoken to Colin. He was trying to organize some bike events but various things have gotten in the way, a forest fire, some health issues, a pandemic.... as for parts I'm pretty much an OEM parts kind of guy but he does have some nice stuff. Do you have an owners manual for your bike? I think I have an extra.
                    Last edited by Rubone; 07-16-2020, 10:28 AM.
                    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Hi Robbie,

I have purchased cloth spark and throttle cables, cloth spark plug wires, cloth wiring harness and some hardware from Cimarron. All seems very good quality to me but i am a newbie at this. I don't have owners manuals just a shop manual and a parts manual. I bet an owners manual is a fun read . Let me know if you can part with your extra.

John

Comment

Working...
                      X