Buzz Kanter announces suspension of American Iron Magazine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tomfiii View Post
    It's upsetting he did not mention the forum when closing magazine!
    You don't know Buzz.

....Cotten
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

If CAIMAG is gone, the old bike hobby has suffered an enormous loss. If Buzz did pull the plug, I would bear him non animus as he did more for old bikes than anyone else I can think of. He put his money where his mouth was and I don't see anyone here taking his place. I would encourage everyone who haunted CAIMAG, to come here and make the AMCA forum what it had been, and should be. The AMCA goes back to 1954 and was the only thing out there for those (few) crazy old bastards that loved, and preserved our American motorcycle heritage. The people I have known, and respected on CAIMAG are some of the finest, enthusiastic, and knowledgeable old bike lovers on planet earth. They need to be here, and bring this forum back to the premier status it had years ago. I hope this is all moot and CAIMAG will be back, but if not; my CAIMAG friends need to make the AMCA their new home.
      Eric Smith
      AMCA #886

Comment

Originally posted by exeric View Post
        ... he did more for old bikes than anyone else I can think of.
        Not even Bruce Palmer III, Eric?

Think harder. There's many others.

And don't think Buzz didn't profit from every click on his link. THAT's how commercial sites work.

If nothing else, Buzz is still a businessman.

....Cotten
        Last edited by T. Cotten; 08-13-2020, 08:55 PM.
        AMCA #776

Comment

Sour grapes. And that's Bruce Palmer III.
          Last edited by exeric; 08-13-2020, 05:12 PM.
          Eric Smith
          AMCA #886

Comment

Now it's B.P. III. You're such a jerk, Cotten.
            Eric Smith
            AMCA #886

Comment

Your previous post said Bruce Palmer the II, before you edited it. I have always been curious what (of many things) you said to get banished from CAIMAG
              Eric Smith
              AMCA #886

Comment

Your previous post said Bruce Palmer the II, before you edited it. I have always been curious what (of many things) you said to get banished from CAIMAG
                Just for the record, Eric,..

I was never, ever "banished", "banned", or "barred" from CAImag.

Just once censored by a "super moderator" when he disparaged strokers, and I replied that with a 'handle' like "Big Incher", he obviously never stroked anything but himself.

He is no longer with us to defend himself, but Buzz is.

...Cotten
                Last edited by T. Cotten; 08-13-2020, 07:19 PM.
                AMCA #776

Comment

If CAIMAG is gone, the old bike hobby has suffered an enormous loss. If Buzz did pull the plug, I would bear him non animus as he did more for old bikes than anyone else I can think of. He put his money where his mouth was and I don't see anyone here taking his place. I would encourage everyone who haunted CAIMAG, to come here and make the AMCA forum what it had been, and should be. The AMCA goes back to 1954 and was the only thing out there for those (few) crazy old bastards that loved, and preserved our American motorcycle heritage. The people I have known, and respected on CAIMAG are some of the finest, enthusiastic, and knowledgeable old bike lovers on planet earth. They need to be here, and bring this forum back to the premier status it had years ago. I hope this is all moot and CAIMAG will be back, but if not; my CAIMAG friends need to make the AMCA their new home.
                  I am not a website designer, but I am sure my thoughts are in tune with others on building a new website we can reference, so people like myself can research the old bikes and mechanical issues without repeating ourselves. This site gets us by, and questions get answered, but that is about it.
                  The best site I saw, dealing with antique American iron, is a site called SimpleTractors.com. If we could model our site after them, not just like them, we would draw all kinds of people.
                  The people on this site are great (even Cotten, he is invaluable to me and others), lets get a site to help them help us greenhorns to become even better.
                  Last edited by ryan; 08-13-2020, 11:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post

And don't think Buzz didn't profit from every click on his link. THAT's how commercial sites work.

If nothing else, Buzz is still a businessman.

....Cotten
                    That's just one more thing (in a very long list) I don't understand...

I've been under the impression that sites like CAIMAG do make a profit. Maybe not a huge profit, but at least a positive cash flow through advertising etc.
                    If Buzz is "still a businessman", why abandon the website just because the actual paper magazine is taking a hit?

And if there is money to be made, why wouldn't the site be sold so someone else who wants to run it?

Comment

Didn't Buzz just recently sell off some vintage bikes? At Mecum Vegas? Moving on.............................
                      #7558 Take me on and you take on the whole trailer park!

Comment

Originally posted by ryan View Post
                        ...in tune with others on building a new website we can reference, ..
                        Without burning this house down, Ryan..

If only the "search" function functioned, a lot of past info would be at 'greenhorn' fingertips.

Even Cotten can't find things he posted; But over 860 saved pics that don't need re-loaded for re-posting is actually pretty amazing, eliminating the cost of external photo-hosting!

....Cotten
                        PS: And the pics don't "disappear". I've re-posted this one enough.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by T. Cotten; 08-15-2020, 11:43 AM.
                        AMCA #776

Comment

...it’s been a few days and still no CAIMAG. It’s kind of a bummer, and true to the old adage that “all good things come to an end”.

The internet age is a blessing and a curse. One can learn things they never could have before, then in an instant it all goes away or turns to mindless fluff. So I’ll support AMCA and the forum it provides for the exchange of information and ideas....(but only as those ideas relate to vintage motorcycles)
                          Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

It sure bums me out that forum is down. A lot of priceless information was shared there. Buzz ought to at least say something.

Comment

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post
                              PS: And the pics don't "disappear". I've re-posted this one enough.
                              As to disappearing pics, I don't know if your post was intended to be ironic or sarcastic (or both or something else), but I see only an attached thumbnail of a photobucket image dated May 28, 2011 that says "This image or video has been moved or deleted."
                              Fletcher Clark Johnston
                              AMCA #282

Comment

Originally posted by ryan View Post
                                building a new website we can reference ... lets get a site to help them help us greenhorns to become even better.
                                Originally posted by pisten-bully View Post
                                The internet age is a blessing and a curse. One can learn things they never could have before, then in an instant it all goes away
                                A good thing about sites like this one is they usually get quick responses to questions. That said, it requires having read a number of responses from a given person to a variety of questions to know how much to weigh their answers, no matter how confidently they might be presented.

However, as a permanent repository of information, the internet is lacking. A web site with all its content can disappear overnight due to actions by its owner, technical difficulties including lack of a backup, or hackers. Even if a web site is still active, the photographs needed to illustrate technical content can separately disappear, as happened with those on Photobucket.

The recent problems in the publishing industry are well known (e.g. Motorcyclist ceased in 2019), but motorcycle magazines have disappeared with distressing regularity over the years (e.g. Cycle Guide 1987, Cycle 1991, Motorcycle Collector 1994, etc.). This means one shouldn't count on the continued availability of any information on web sites associated with magazines.

Clubs are run by volunteers whose individual personalities can bother some members as well as have unexpected effects on their operation. As the bankruptcy of ARHMA in the mid-'00s shows, clubs aren't immune to serious problems. However, of the several possibilities for keeping internet-based information accessible, a web site run by a large, long-established club like the AMCA seems more likely than the others to be around the longest.

Comment

Working...
                                X