Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buzz Kanter announces suspension of American Iron Magazine

AMERICAN IRON SUSPENDS PUBLICATION

American Iron Magazine, published since 1989, has suspended publication.
    The world has changed significantly. The motorcycle business has changed. And the magazine industry has too. Unfortunately, not for the better - short or long term.
    For the last 31 years our team has worked hard responding successfully to the trends, opportunities and changes. But when our advertising crashed with the recent spread of the virus, we ran out of options. We trimmed the page count and content in our magazines, but that was not enough to make a difference.
    Rather than watch our magazines decline even further, we have suspended publication as we explore our options. It is not an easy decision for American Iron Magazine, American Iron Garage and American Iron Salute, but it is the right one.
    The last issue of American Iron Magazine was Issue #390, on sale last week.
    Since 1989, I have been fortunate to work with really great editors, art directors and contributors who were dedicated, creative, hard working and smart. They had to be to achieve what we did for more than three decades. And a big thanks to all of our readers and advertisers, who supported our efforts so passionately.
    Rather than dwell on the end of our magazines, I hope you'll join us remembering your favorite articles, writers, photographers and events that we have enjoyed over the years. There have been so many.
    Thank you one and all for your support, encouragement and friendship. It's been a heckuva ride.

Buzz Kanter - Editor-in-Chief.

Sad to hear but I guess it was inevitable. I don't think I'm going to like this brave new world we are entering. I just want to be left alone and work and ride my old bikes as I see fit while not interrupting other folks lives. Best of luck Buzz!

Tom (Rollo) Hardy
    AMCA #12766

Comment

I'm still waiting for the Indian Illustrated issues I PAID FOR!

History repeats itself, suckers.

....Cotten
      Last edited by T. Cotten; 07-08-2020, 12:17 PM.
      AMCA #776
      Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

I last spoke with Buzz at the Las Vegas auctions in January, but obviously much has changed since then. He cites changes in both the motorcycle as well as the publishing industries. These changes already did in 'Motorcyclist' and turned 'Cycle World' into a four or five times a year publication supported by relatively little advertising.

Numbers tell the story: Cycle World's circulation in 2005 was 338.9k; last year it was 106.2k. U.S. motorcycle sales peaked just before the recession of ~15 years ago, and now are only half that number. Well, that was the pre-covid 2019 number; 2020 sales certainly will be worse.

Magazines devoted to classic motorcycles seem to be doing better, but their customers are aging out of the market for those magazines as well as for motorcycles of any vintage (a problem that is hitting Harley-Davidson hard), and new customers aren't aging into either market. Sneaking coverage of post-1960 Japanese bikes into classic magazines, including AMCA's own, helps with circulation (and membership) without upsetting existing customers too much, but someone who got a Japanese bike when they turned 16 in 1970 is now 66 so classic Japanese bikes aren't immune from the aging problem.

For what it's worth, for a variety of reasons, I expect the post-covid motorcycle world to rapidly become post-internal-combustion. Hey, don't shoot the messenger...

Comment

Originally posted by BoschZEV View Post
          I last spoke with Buzz at the Las Vegas auctions in January, but obviously much has changed since then. He cites changes in both the motorcycle as well as the publishing industries. These changes already did in 'Motorcyclist' and turned 'Cycle World' into a four or five times a year publication supported by relatively little advertising.

Numbers tell the story: Cycle World's circulation in 2005 was 338.9k; last year it was 106.2k. U.S. motorcycle sales peaked just before the recession of ~15 years ago, and now are only half that number. Well, that was the pre-covid 2019 number; 2020 sales certainly will be worse.

Magazines devoted to classic motorcycles seem to be doing better, but their customers are aging out of the market for those magazines as well as for motorcycles of any vintage (a problem that is hitting Harley-Davidson hard), and new customers aren't aging into either market. Sneaking coverage of post-1960 Japanese bikes into classic magazines, including AMCA's own, helps with circulation (and membership) without upsetting existing customers too much, but someone who got a Japanese bike when they turned 16 in 1970 is now 66 so classic Japanese bikes aren't immune from the aging problem.

For what it's worth, for a variety of reasons, I expect the post-covid motorcycle world to rapidly become post-internal-combustion. Hey, don't shoot the messenger...
          There's no doubt, BoschZev!

You've got a better handle on it... .. . .

...Cotten
          AMCA #776

Comment

Has Buzz said he is ending the CAIMAG Forum? It seems like there might be good business reasons for keeping it going for future endeavors, and promotions. The end of the CAIMAG Forum would be a major blow to vintage motorcycles as it is far and away better than this forum.
            Eric Smith
            AMCA #886

Comment

Since I JUST renewed for 2 yrs, (after being a subscriber for the last 20) I wonder if Buzz had ANY idea that publication would cease in the very near future and might have given a heads up. Just sayin.....

Comment

Originally posted by HDSmitty View Post
                Since I JUST renewed for 2 yrs, (after being a subscriber for the last 20) I wonder if Buzz had ANY idea that publication would cease in the very near future and might have given a heads up. Just sayin.....
                I only know from my experience, Smitty,..

When Indian Illustrated folded, a pitiful replacement arrived for a while.

You may not be that lucky.

....Cotten
                AMCA #776

Comment

Yup that happened to me with the Buzz Rag......

Comment

Is he here to clue us in?

....Cotten
                    PS: He's only made 539 posts,.. .. .
                    Last edited by T. Cotten; 07-18-2020, 03:25 PM.
                    AMCA #776

Comment

I almost threw out a letter yesterday without opening it because it was obviously an ad for something. Good that I didn't, because inside was a check for the remaining issues of my subscription to a magazine that stopped publishing a few months ago. The name of company that sent it had nothing to do with the magazine. I've also had the other experience when magazines go belly up, where some odd magazine I have no interest in whatever starts showing up for the remainder of my subscription.

Comment

Originally posted by exeric View Post
                        Has Buzz said he is ending the CAIMAG Forum? It seems like there might be good business reasons for keeping it going for future endeavors, and promotions. The end of the CAIMAG Forum would be a major blow to vintage motorcycles as it is far and away better than this forum.

I hope this is an unrelated temporary anomaly, but I've been unable to access the CAIMAG website since this morning. Just getting the 404 error page.
                        Last edited by droptopford; 08-13-2020, 12:49 PM.

Comment

I am not able to log on either, error 522.
                          #7558 Take me on and you take on the whole trailer park!

Comment

Originally posted by KNUCK View Post
                            ...error 522.
                            Correction: Yes... error 522 is what I show too.

I don't want to assume the worst but I sure would hate to see that site go away. I think the potential is there for this site to take up the slack, but it's going to require everyone over there coming here. Probably not going to happen. And somebody is going to have to figure out how to relocate all 900+ pages of the 'Vintage Pics of the Day' thread.

Comment

It's upsetting he did not mention the forum when closing magazine!

Comment

Working...
                              X