Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Harley fiberglass car mount to the frame.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harley fiberglass car mount to the frame.

Is there anything that fits between the car and the frame like a piece of rubber, belting or nylon strap?
    Thank you,
    Ryan

The HD parts books does not show any spacer. The body bolts directly to the front and rear cross bars. That is the way my fiberglass body is mounted also.

Comment

Originally posted by Buster View Post
      The HD parts books does not show any spacer. The body bolts directly to the front and rear cross bars. That is the way my fiberglass body is mounted also.
      I will bolt it straight to the frame. Another question about the wheel cylinder, is it absolutely necessary to run the 1" bore wheel cylinder or can a 1.125" bore wheel cylinder be ran with no issues, I just asked because I have a couple of them? If not I found a 1" bore cylinder from the rear of a jeep that may work.
      I would think that the bores should be the same on the bike and the sidecar, but maybe not since the wheels are not in inline with each other.
      Thanks for your reply

Comment

My bike is a 1976 FL and I used the stock 87750-58 wheel cylinder (1958-79), so not a larger cylinder. My sidecar tends to over brake and I installed a inline brake pressure regulator valve plus a inline residual pressure valve. Bike has stock disc brakes and sidecar has stock drum brake. I have to keep inline pressure regulator valve turned down to lowest setting, so larger bore cylinder could be too much.

Comment

The "inline pressure regulator" should have been referred to as a brake proportioning valve which is commonly used on cars with front disc brakes and rear drum brakes.

Comment

My bike is a 1976 FL and I used the stock 87750-58 wheel cylinder (1958-79), so not a larger cylinder. My sidecar tends to over brake and I installed a inline brake pressure regulator valve plus a inline residual pressure valve. Bike has stock disc brakes and sidecar has stock drum brake. I have to keep inline pressure regulator valve turned down to lowest setting, so larger bore cylinder could be too much.
            Well, I thought I had an 1.125" bore wheel cylinder, but turns out I have 2 new .750" wheel cylinders. The 1" jeep cylinder was a flop. Since you are having issues with the 1" cylinder, I may as well try the . 750" bore in the mean time. I am familiar with the residual valve as my 66 7 litre galaxie conv has one as well as my 66 mustang, both having factory disc brakes.

Comment

Isn't part number HD 87750-58 for the sidecar the exact same part as HD 41740-58 for 58-62 big twins? I am pretty sure they are since the sidecar uses brakes, backing plate and drum from the 58-62 big twins for sidecar years-58-76?
              Last edited by ryan; 07-09-2020, 04:17 AM. Reason: Typo 58-79 was suppose to be 58- 76

Comment

I am sure you are correct. I found the 87750-58 number yesterday in sidecar section of HD parts book, but I remember when I put my sidecar brake together from parts I ordered a wheel cylinder for a 58-62 big twin bike which would be the 41740-58. The brake line goes straight into the cylinder as opposed to at an angle on 63-up cylinder.
                I built my brake to specs as a 1958 early 1976 sidecar brake. I know late 1976-1979 has a few subtle differences, but wheel cylinder is the same.

Comment

I meant to put 58-76 in my previous post when calling out the 58-62 parts and had edited it to correct it. Even tho the part numbers 87750-58 and 41740-58 is the same part, 87750-58 is about $40 or so more in price at this point in time than the 41740-58.
                  I should have had this project done 2 weeks ago for a trip, but the events I was attended was cancelled.

Comment

I see bikes with front crashbars mounted on them along with the sidecar, but the 1-1/4" crash bar I have on my bike will work with the sidecar. My bike should have the 1" bar on it, but will my stock crashbar fit or is there something else I need? Again, it is a 1969 flh.
                    Thank you!

Comment

All the stock crashbars and sidecars were compatible. No special parts needed. Is your bar aftermarket or tweaked in some way? Even the '79 Classics w/sc had the same mounts as earlier and a 1-1/4 crashbar.
                      Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

I have the original 1" bar, which is not tweaked, I have a nos 1" bar which is not tweaked and a nos 1-1/4" bar which is not tweaked and all fall short on the sidecar side. Could I have the floor board mount on the right side maybe, but it does have crashbar mount. I went and looked at a 58, 36, 48, all with sidecars, and did not really see any special nor different and all crashbars were in front of sidecar.

Comment

Does anyone have a picture of the crashbar on the sidecar side? I have triple checked the front sidecar mounts measurements, I am at a loss???

Comment

Originally posted by ryan View Post
                            I have the original 1" bar, which is not tweaked, I have a nos 1" bar which is not tweaked and a nos 1-1/4" bar which is not tweaked and all fall short on the sidecar side. Could I have the floor board mount on the right side maybe, but it does have crashbar mount. I went and looked at a 58, 36, 48, all with sidecars, and did not really see any special nor different and all crashbars were in front of sidecar.
                            I could not measure measure the bikes listed above because they were really sandwiched in together like sardines. Maybe you are right Rob, maybe my nos crashbars are old very aftermarket bars that do not have the reach like they should. The 1" bar was wrapped in harley paper and the 1 -1/4" bar was in unopened harley plastic, but maybe I was bluffed on the bars, who knows. I will measure from the edge of the bar to the center line of the mounting hole and maybe someone can do the same for me.
                            I am getting very close on getting the bike finished, hooking the battery up today to checked the electrics, then putting on the sheet metal if all goes well.

Comment

Ryan, I believe you are asking about clearance between rear of front crash guard and front of lower sidecar frame. I had this problem on my stock 1976 FL. The manual show to mount front frame connection clamps 10.75 inches below bottom of top center crash frame mount. I believe this dimension to be a starting point and effects sidecar frame to crashbar clearence. The tie rod bar and clamps need to have a relaxed fit on frame tubes and the mounted sidecar body should appear fairly level from front to rear. My lower front mount ended up being 10.5 inches from bottom of upper crashbar mount to top of frame clamp or 12.5 inches from bottom of upper crashbar mount to centerline of tie bar. at this position, the rear of my crashbar was almost touching the front of the lower sidecar frame. I added a 1/2 inch spacer at top center crash bar mount and made lower crashbar holes oblong to space crashbar 1/2" forward. This gave me a 1/2 inch clearance between lower sidecar frame and crashbar. I am going to attempt to post a picture this morning but not always successful.

Comment

Working...
                              X