Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parts Identification

DSCN4702[1].jpg

I'm working on my parts inventory which now spans 50 years of trading and acquisition. I have almost all of them (large and small) in a database, sorted primarily by Harley part number, but also searchable by description, model, condition, etc. However, the part numbers are the most important field. I started this effort in December when I gave up my shipping container, and am finally nearing the finish line in this interesting, but sometimes tedious and frustrating effort.

As suspected, I have a box of 'orphan' parts and, in an effort to not wear out my welcome, I've attached only one of the several photo I've taken. I certainly remember these parts and have come across them over the years, but memory fails in my recollection of their application. I've spent considerable time in the parts books but they've defied my efforts and I'm stumped in identifying them.

As shown in the (hopefully) attached photo, all of these brackets are cast iron (or similar), about 1/4" in thickness, and parkerized. The caliper is shown for scale. Can anyone help put with the correct part numbers and applications (Robbie)?
    Last edited by billpedalino; 07-06-2020, 04:32 PM.
    Bill Pedalino
    Huntington, New York
    AMCA 6755

DSCN4703[1].jpg

Sorry - I attached the wrong photo in the above posting!!
    Bill Pedalino
    Huntington, New York
    AMCA 6755

Comment

Bill,
      The three hole and the long "Y" shape are part of Buddy seat hardware. The 45 degree off set one looks familiar, I'll think on it. The tri-lobal sort of symmetric one I am not sure of.
      Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Thanks Robbie,
        I (again) checked the buddy seat exploded diagram in my knucklehead parts book, as well as my '49 through '57 panhead parts book and and didn't find the the Y-shaped buddy seat brackets, so I still can't determine their P/N. Maybe they appear in an accessory catalog somewhere where I can glean the P/N? However, the straight, 3-hole brackets might be might be P/N 13314-36 (52543-36), 'Seat Bar Mounting Plate (2)', which appear to be shown in the buddy seat group. What do you think?
        Bill Pedalino
        Huntington, New York
        AMCA 6755

Comment

Originally posted by Rubone View Post
          Bill,
          The three hole and the long "Y" shape are part of Buddy seat hardware. The 45 degree off set one looks familiar, I'll think on it. The tri-lobal sort of symmetric one I am not sure of.
          OOPS! I just reread your previous post and you did state that the 3-hole bracket was for the buddy seat. So the P/N and description for the Y-bracket still remains a mystery (to me).
          Bill Pedalino
          Huntington, New York
          AMCA 6755

Comment

That shiny silver thing is a vernier caliper

Comment

Originally posted by TomL View Post
              That shiny silver thing is a vernier caliper
              A vernier doesn't have a dial, Tom!

....Cotten
              PS: Digitals suck, but good for photos.
              Last edited by T. Cotten; 07-27-2020, 09:52 AM.
              AMCA #776
              Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post

....Cotten
                That would be a dial indicator, the ones with dials that is.

Comment

Originally posted by ryan View Post
                  That would be a dial indicator, the ones with dials that is.
                  But its a caliper, Ryan!

..Cotten
                  PS: I had a partner spill wicking-grade Loctite into his Mitotoyo full. I felt bad, not just because it was my Loctite.
                  Last edited by T. Cotten; 07-27-2020, 12:31 PM.
                  AMCA #776

Comment

And a venier is a scale.

So what happened with the loctited calipers?

Comment

Yeah, a 'vernier' is where you resolve two scales to pick out a reading, like a slide rule, or like a common micrometer handle.

I wasn't allowed to play with the Mitotoyo; It wasn't mine, but I woulda tried.

...Cotten
                      PS: I think my analytical scale shines vernier scales to be read in a window. Got a newer one too, somewhere.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by T. Cotten; 07-27-2020, 04:19 PM.
                      AMCA #776

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Pedalino View Post
                        Thanks Robbie,
                        I (again) checked the buddy seat exploded diagram in my knucklehead parts book, as well as my '49 through '57 panhead parts book and and didn't find the the Y-shaped buddy seat brackets, so I still can't determine their P/N. Maybe they appear in an accessory catalog somewhere where I can glean the P/N? However, the straight, 3-hole brackets might be might be P/N 13314-36 (52543-36), 'Seat Bar Mounting Plate (2)', which appear to be shown in the buddy seat group. What do you think?
                        Look in a Shovelhead era parts book.
                        Be sure to visit;
                        http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                        Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                        Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

A dial vernier caliper does Tom. Easier to read with my old eyes to boot.

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post

....Cotten

Comment

You mean the vernier scale is on the dial, Pa?

A dial on a dial with vernier scales that rotate and resolve to each other?

That would make it twice as hard to read!

....Cotten
                            PS: I just searched and found digital 'electronic' "vernier" calipers for sale!
                            Not a vernier scale anywhere on them that I can see...
                            PPS: My old POST bamboo slide rule from high school still hangs on the wall. I hated it, but it did make a vernier seem simple!
                            Last edited by T. Cotten; 08-02-2020, 01:07 PM.
                            AMCA #776

Comment

The bracket with the 3 inline holes is shown as 13314-36 in my 1939 parts bokk, page 143 as " Seat bar mounting plate " which is 52543-36 in the new pn system. Seat post mounted Buddy seat for 1936 knucklehead and 1937 to 1964 on all big twins, according to my parts books. Apparently when they changed to 12 volt batteries the whole Buddy seat set up changed.
                              The bracket on the lower left is 13301-36 or 51551-36, the Buddy seat front bracket used on the same bikes as the above part and may fit up to 1980 FL and FLH models.
                              The other black painted parts are going to take some deep investigating. I choose to not join the discussion on the proper name for your reference measuring device shown.

Hope this helps a little. Karel

Comment

Working...
                              X