Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1930 Indian Scout Seat Issue/Problem

Hi All,

I bought a 1930 Scout 101 and the seat was in pretty bad condition. I was referred to a seat guy form a member on here (which I really appreciated), which I contacted for the seat replacement. He told me that he had the complete pan that I needed and could send me a complete seat ready to install. I went ahead and ordered the seat, it was delivered in a reasonable amount of time and then it sat in the box until this last week. I finally had a bit of time to get this thing swapped out, so when I pulled the old seat off and tried to install the new seat, the two were different. I contacted the guy and explained the situation he just outright blew me off.

SOOO, here I am now with this pretty pricey seat that does not fit my bike or at least I do not have the correct set up for and am not really sure what I need to make it work. The right seat that is all black is the existing seat that came on the bike and the one on the left is the new seat. Just to answer this question now, yes, I sent pics of the existing seat (upper and lower pics) to the guy before I ordered the seat. I am hoping some of you "Indian guys" can point me in the correct direction. As always any help that any of you may offer would be greatly appreciated!
    Attached Files

Louggle, you're almost there! the Messinger half pan seat is correct for your 1930 Scout, but you're missing four pieces to mount it. Two L-shaped brackets for the rear spring mount, and two clamping bolts for the front nose mount. I circled them in red here:

IMG_3026.jpg
    Last edited by pisten-bully; 07-06-2020, 01:27 PM.
    Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

I would say it is only one clamping bolts for the front nose mount missing, as the second (front) one is the one with the adjuster screw attached to it.

Comment

Originally posted by pisten-bully View Post
        Louggle, you're almost there! the Messinger half pan seat is correct for your 1930 Scout, but you're missing four pieces to mount it. Two L-shaped brackets for the rear spring mount, and two clamping bolts for the front nose mount. I circled them in red here:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]28981[/ATTACH]
        Hey, thank you for the quick response. I am pretty sure I know the answer to this, being that is the answer for all of the parts for this bike, are these something that I have hunt down like hen's teeth or might you know somewhere that there may be some sitting around?

Comment

Hi Gsottl,

I have all of the other parts that the other seat was connected with. The problem that I am having is where the back of the seat attaches to the spring/seat bracket. I have been looking around for a couple hours on line and it looks like the long bracket that is attached to the tank is slightly different on mine than others (most have a long slot, mine has two bolt holes), but I am hoping that will not be an issue. I found a website that looks like they have a bunch of seat parts, so my fingers are crossed!

Comment

Originally posted by Louggle View Post
            Hey, thank you for the quick response. I am pretty sure I know the answer to this, being that is the answer for all of the parts for this bike, are these something that I have hunt down like hen's teeth or might you know somewhere that there may be some sitting around?
            Walker Machine can set you up, or Kent Thompson in NH. Walker has a website, Kent does not. Kent is more responsive these days.

Your old seat is incorrect for a 101, at a minimum you’ll need the two “L” shaped brackets for the spring mount. Gsotti is correct in that one front bolt comes from the adjuster, the other bolt requires the clamping setup (mine had two clamping bolts and no adjuster!)

You are correct in guessing original parts will be difficult to find! Fabricating them wouldn’t be all that difficult however!
            Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

Working...
            X