Suggestion to modify new forum registration rules

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestion to modify new forum registration rules

I just went thru the pain of figuring out the new forum log-in rules. Specifically, the need for the email address used to register on the forum having to match the email address used to register for the new AMCA website.

In my case, I registered on the new AMCA forum when the time came and I also changed my email address this year and that was reflected in my AMCA site registration info. Last night I came to the forum to so some research and could not log in because the email here did not match the email there. Now, that is an easy fix... normally. But the forum prevented me from logging in because of this. Therefore, it was impossible for me to update my email address on the forum. It would have also been impossible if I had tried to do it back when I registered for the new AMCA site. As soon as I changed my email address on the AMCA site, I locked myself out of logging into the forum.

I spent a lot of time looking for the solution on the forum, using help screens, trying to register for the first time, clicking on FORGOT PASSWORD, and other tricks, none of which worked. So, I tried another idea. I went into the AMCA site and changed my email back to my old address so it matched the one on the forum. This let me log in to the forum and I was able to change my email to my current address. I then went back to the AMCA forum and changed my email back to my current address. All was well... I thought. But it seems that something I did while getting back into the forum prevented me from posting or replying. That was fixed this morning (thanks).

I would have thought that being a member of the AMCA and registered on that site would carry thru any info on that site to other AMCA pages, like the forum. At the very least, since the forum does check the AMCA info to make sure everything matches, if it does not match, the system would send an email to the address on the AMCA site to advise the member there is an issue and PROVIDE A METHOD TO FIX IT so the member could regain log-in access to the forum. The other option would be to simply use any updates to the AMCA site info to update forum info. That might not be possible. So a process to deal with it should be created.

Thanks for considering this.
    Regards,
    Rob Sigond
    AMCA # 1811

We appreciate your comments Rob and sorry for you and everyone else that have had to go through the cloak and dagger process of matching emails to the two web sites. And that's the problem, they are two stand alone websites. When we upgraded with a new member web site to expand our ability to offer timely member services the new web site had completely different processes for linking and confirming login permission - namely matching emails on both sites. Had it not been for that characteristic you and believe me, many others would not have hit the trip wire. But it has gone amazingly smooth - with very few that have had any problems. You did everything right in the DIY settings and automated changes you just didn't realize that we have a manual approval process for new registrations and some setting changes. We instituted manual approvals because we found that our world-wide spam/hack masters exploited our automated system and changing approvals to manual circumvented the hacks completely - the draw back is that it can take me up to 12 hours to get work done on the AMCA forum and Facebook page. Anyway I suppose out there is a technology solution that makes all this seamless, and maybe we should pursue it as a future improvement. But in relation to technology, even as advanced as the world is today, integrating systems and trying to make them compatible frequently does not work. I'm not trying to make excuses its just the state we are in. So if we can get everyone up to speed on matching emails between the web sites and if everyone that hates login info used the same log-in username and password for both websites we would not hear many grumblings at all.

Rob you suggested

The other option would be to simply use any updates to the AMCA site info to update forum info. That might not be possible. So a process to deal with it should be created.
    Yep I don't disagree Rob there's just no yellow brick road to that solution yet - but we will keep working on it. Thanks and again sorry for the slow customer service.

Mike Love
    AMCA Forum

Comment

I appreciate the candid response. I was wondering if it would be possible to put an instruction on the AMCA site to help with this. I'd be willing to write it up and use screen shots if that helps.
      Regards,
      Rob Sigond
      AMCA # 1811

Comment

So I am wondering; As the situation " is two stand alone websites":
        Who controls the Virtual Library???
        What is the criteria for material inclusion/addition to the Virtual Library??
        Thanks.

Comment

The problem I have is after I am signed in if I wish to comment on a post I get caught in a never ending circle demanding that I sign is again.
          Be sure to visit;
          http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
          Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
          Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Haynes View Post
            The problem I have is after I am signed in if I wish to comment on a post I get caught in a never ending circle demanding that I sign is again.
            That happened to me, too, Chris!

The first time I tried to log on from my wife's new confuser.

Gave up, and the next morning I didn't even have to log in.

Its all too spooky for me, Folks...

....Cotten
            Last edited by T. Cotten; 07-13-2020, 01:42 PM.
            AMCA #776
            Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Chris: We are for sure having problems. I too have experienced this and we are anticipating an upgrade to the software next month. I have found that clicking on the forum tab gets you to a full login status. Real sorry for all the trouble.

Mike Love
              AMCA Forum

Comment

The Vintage M/C Library is a part of the AMCA Member Website. The AMCA Board is ultimately responsible and the day to day overbite is by the Executive Director. The club purchased a special document imaging set up and it was done with the intent of having members bring materials to some of the National Meets and have the materials imaged. The club has also taken on materials from members and others that are in queue to be scanned. But of course much of this has been put on hold due to the meets being impacted by the pandemic. This may be one of those areas since under resourced, that would need to be communicated to board members to compel a higher priority if members find it useful and want more. Right now it is staffed by one volunteer and we have one document scanning system.

Mike Love
                AMCA Forum

Comment

I am having the same problem as Chris, I log in to reply and it tells me I am not logged in.

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Haynes View Post
                    Chris - I hope the work around with the browser refresh has worked for you. I have found it helps me. I moved from Apple's Safari web browser to Google Chrome and it seems my Forum activity and that pesty login crap has stabilized with the browser refresh trick.

Mike Love

Comment

Hitting the refresh after log in does the trick for me.

Dale

Comment

Working...
                      X