XLCH Stoplight Switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XLCH Stoplight Switch

I purchased a NEW cad-plated brake light switch for my '64. Approximately 20 cycles later, it became a direct short circuit to ground. I disassembled it and found the problem - Chinese 'craftsmanship'. Unfortunately, i can't find a replacement that isn't chrome plated and taking them apart does some unavoidable damage. Besides, I'm concerned about the insulation washer that failed in my current switch failing in the replacement switch as well. Unfortunately, I also can't find a good OEM replacement (my obvious preference). Does anyone have a source for these, OEM or new?
    Thanks...
    Bill Pedalino
    Huntington, New York
    AMCA 6755

i think i have one sportster brake switch left.
    message me your number & i can text pics.

Comment

Knuck:

My cell number (no secret) is (516) 532-6322.

If you find one, please let me know if its Cadmium, Parkerized, or Black. I believe that they were Cad in 1964. I would choose not to disrupt an original part by taking it apart to just plate it. If that's the case, I'll maul an aftermarket switch, strip it and Cadmium plate it and leave your original for someone that really needs that variety for an original restoration.

Thank you for looking!
      Bill Pedalino
      Huntington, New York
      AMCA 6755

Comment

Well, in absence of an good OEM switch, I figured out the problem with my aftermarket unit. I disassembled it and found that the dished brass contact plate was installed backward which allowed its insulating washer to meander just enough to cause an intermittent direct short. This is a real problem with a magneto Sportster, as the hot side of the brake switch is common and direct to the regulator output terminal.
        I corrected the problem, re-assembled the unit and hid any disassembly damage with Duplicolor 'Bumper Chrome' paint (it looks just like Cad plating) over the holding tabs for the Bakelite terminal plate. It actually looks really good and it appears to work fine. However, I'm still keeping an eye out for an OEM switch!
        Bill Pedalino
        Huntington, New York
        AMCA 6755

Comment

Bill
          I looked at the brake light switch on my 64 to check if I had a extra one. I only had the later one. But my 64 switch is painted black.
          Jim D

Comment

Thanks Jim,
            It looks like the jury is still out on the finish. I seem to recall that the switch on my original 1964 (when I bought it in 1968) was black, but that's from memory. Since then I've been advised that it was Cad. I have seen them both ways. The Bike will be judged again next year most likely at Oley, so there's time to make the correction before then, if necessary. I do believe that your correct though.
            Bill Pedalino
            Huntington, New York
            AMCA 6755

Comment

The other one that I have which was used after this one is also black.
              Jim D

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Pedalino View Post
                Thanks Jim,
                It looks like the jury is still out on the finish. I seem to recall that the switch on my original 1964 (when I bought it in 1968) was black, but that's from memory. Since then I've been advised that it was Cad. I have seen them both ways. The Bike will be judged again next year most likely at Oley, so there's time to make the correction before then, if necessary. I do believe that your correct though.
                Bill, I have seen no evidence to believe that any Sportster with the 1957-66 style of brake switch ever left the factory with it painted black.

I did some searching in my photo library, and most period photos are taken from the exhaust pipe side. However, of the few I found, it looks like a couple are parkerized and others are cad plated. I would say it was a running change during the model year, so both could be correct in my opinion, depending if you have an early or late serial number.

Comment

I just found one in my stuff that is cad and not BT because the brkt. is at a 90 degree. Sportster correct?
                  DrSprocket

Comment

Brake light switch

"Bill, I have seen no evidence to believe that any Sportster with the 1957-66 style of brake switch ever left the factory with it painted black".

I have seen Sportster and have foot pegs and kick stands that were OEM and painted black. In talking to others, namely Roger, we believe that there was some use of black paint in the transition from parkerizing to cadmium plating, probably in the 1964 time frame. Maybe some of the big twin folks can give us more details.

Comment

Dave I would love to see some photos of black painted parts (that are normally plated) on original paint bikes. Do you have any you can share? Particularly from 1964, but other years would be interesting as well.

Comment

Originally posted by RichO View Post
                        I just found one in my stuff that is cad and not BT because the brkt. is at a 90 degree. Sportster correct?
                        Rich - Yes, the bracket has a bend that's approximately 90 degrees from the center line of the switch.
                        Bill Pedalino
                        Huntington, New York
                        AMCA 6755

Comment

Gentlemen,
                          I guess at this juncture, the overall consensus seems to be that either cadmium plated or black-painted switches would qualify as correct. My V.I.N. No. is in the 49XX range, so I would think its somewhere near mid-run production. My first '64 was V.I.N. 2136 (I would love to find that bike!) which was an earlier production machine and I do believe that its switch was painted black. This follows the transition from Parkerized-to-painted logic as well as the suggested timescale. Therefore, would the use of either finish on a 1964 be deemed incorrect within a reasonable level certainty? I certainly have no problem painting mine black, but prefer not to do so unless its necessary rather than optional
                          Last edited by billpedalino; 07-07-2020, 04:09 AM.
                          Bill Pedalino
                          Huntington, New York
                          AMCA 6755

Comment

This guy should know for sure and probably will have the correct switch. https://tatromachine.com

Comment

My 64 XLCH tank and fenders has been repainted over the original paint with spray can paint. The rest of the bike is stock right down to exhaust. I have owned it since 1994. I purchased it from a old friend that owned for about 10 years and I remember when he got it from the original owner. The bike had been sitting for 12 years before that. It was repainted by the original owner. The engine is out of the rolling chassis and the BLACK stoplight switch is still attached to the original wiring and has probably never been disconnected. The VID # starts with 20-- . That being said I don't know about later on in the year but I think that mine came painted. I used to have the bike at my house for weeks at a time in the 80s to ride it and my friend never had the chassis apart.
                              Jim D

Comment

Working...
                              X