1949 WL - Kicker Gear(s)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1949 WL - Kicker Gear(s)

For more than 2 decades (after assembling my basket case) I am looking to maybe solve an annoyance!!
    Almost every time I kick it over....It feels as though it is skipping a tooth or two on an internal gear.

I plan to put the bike up on a friends motorcycle table to explore the scenario.
    I wanted to ask what parts / pieces I should look into acquiring before I ride over to his table.

I suspect I will need this gasket, to start:
    https://www.45restoration.com/Produc..._34826-41.aspx

Should I also obtain anything else OR would that be a fools errand until I determine what is going on in there?
    Any helpful hints are welcome!
    (Since I don't know what I am doing; ha!)

Thanks!
    Matt Allyn
    1932 Ford Roadster / 1949 Mercury Coupe / 1949 Harley Davidson 45 / 1957 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz Convertible / 1957 Lincoln Premiere Convertible / 1959 Lambretta TV175 / 1962 Sunbeam Alpine Convertible / 1962 Chrysler New Yorker Station Wagon / 1962 Chrysler 300H / 1962 Chrysler 300 Sport / 1964 International Travelall / 2015 Tesla Model S

The most common issue is worn tripper bolts. When kicking the bike, the kicker gear rotates and then gets pushed towards the cluster gear by the rounded heads of the tripper bolts. If you have not been in there for 20 years, they could be worn out. Cheap fix is to rotate them, but if you are there quick fix is to replace. But then the kicker gear is suspect and they can chew up the inside of the cluster gear if this has been going on for a long time. My recollection is you are going to have to remove the clutch hub to get to the tripper bolt nuts on the outside of the case, so some special tools are needed for that.

Are you planning on doing a full rebuild or just attacking this issue? Probably best to pull it all apart and see what is needed. 20 years and the transmission could be a little chewed up.

One more thing, are you a side kicker or do you straddle the bike? I find my 45 will do the same thing if I side kick her like a chopper, but when straddling the bike she is all good. Changing your style of kicking is way easier then pulling the transmission apart, good luck.

Comment

Working...
    X